DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro same price as the current Mavic 3

Yeah, the Mavic 3 is about to get a price reduction I'm sure. For current owners, this is the biggest difference that I can see:
The second camera features a 1/1.3-inch CMOS Hasselblad sensor and has a 70mm equivalent focal length lens. This camera provides a 3x optical zoom with an aperture of f/2.8 and shoots 48MP aerial photos.

For me this is not a good enough to buy another one at the same price, especially since my Mavic 3 is less than a year old. I'll wait for the next version.

Reactions: AnzacJack
Yeah, the Mavic 3 is about to get a price reduction I'm sure. For current owners, this is the biggest difference that I can see:

For me this is not a good enough to buy another one at the same price, especially since my Mavic 3 is less than a year old. I'll wait for the next version.
I think those prices are in Euros,have to add a few hundred to each of those above numbers

F/1.7

It's a 3X telephoto. There's no option zoom, only digital.
Okay, just FYI this is the source where I copied that from.

The DJI Mavic 3 Pro has a triple-camera setup with an impressive optical and hybrid zoom range.
  • The main camera on the DJI Mavic 3 Pro is the 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad Camera,24mm equivalent with an aperture range of f/2.8-f/11 that shoots 20MP aerial images.
  • The second camera features a 1/1.3-inch CMOS Hasselblad sensor and has a 70mm equivalent focal length lens. This camera provides a 3x optical zoom with an aperture of f/2.8 and shoots 48MP aerial photos.
  • The third camera has a 1/2-inch CMOS Hasselblad Camera with a 166mm equivalent lens that offers a 7x optical zoom and a 28x Hybrid zoom at a fixed aperture of f/3.4 and can shoot still photos of 12MP.

Okay, just FYI this is the source where I copied that from.
Yes ... that's just the same confusion that's been around ever since the Mavic 3 was released.
People with little understanding of photography keep referring to the tele camera as having a zoom lens.

Yes ... that's just the same confusion that's been around ever since the Mavic 3 was released.
People with little understanding of photography keep referring to the tele camera as having a zoom lens.
It's my experience that those who act the most elitist seem to know the least. Let's get real here, there are prime lenses and zoom lenses, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what those optical ranges are. It's the DJI system that confuses people.

If we're all so inept, why not simply explain your point rather than just bashing people?

It's my experience that those who act the most elitist seem to know the least. Let's get real here, there are prime lenses and zoom lenses, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what those optical ranges are. It's the DJI system that confuses people.

If we're all so inept, why not simply explain your point rather than just bashing people?
I would put him on your ignore list, just like I did,not really worth it.

Reactions: Will_UK
seems like there is a somewhat vague definition of optical zoom:

1682353051305.png

now, when I hear optical zoom I think of an internal mechanical operation of the lens and focal length. Like on my point-and-shoot camera...or with my Nikon binoculars

DJI apparently says both the 3X and 7X are "optical zooms". But I have a Mavic 3 that already has that same 7X camera and for me, it's mechanically fixed at 7X and any X above that is achieved digitally

it's pretty clear to me, and sure, I could easily be wrong, that this new drone has 3 cameras, each with a fixed lens: 1X, 3X, and 7X. Any zoom other than those 3 specific levels will be done digitally.

just by that description I'd wonder if the only zoom adjustments are achieved using only the 1X and 7X. That if you're at 6X in explore mode, it's the 1X digitally cropped to 6X...not the 3X times two?

DJI apparently says both the 3X and 7X are "optical zooms".
No, I have never heard or seen DJI use the term optical zoom in describing the Mavic 3.
They use a meaningless term they call "hybrid zoom", probably only their marketing department know what that mean. Or they just thought it sounded good and modern. But of course, it is nothing more than a crop of the sensor area. So the large 4/3 sensor suddenly becomes a tiny 1/2 inch sensor when you "zoom" in.

The new Mavic 3 has three cameras with fixed focal length. 24mm wideangle, 70mm short telephoto and 166mm telephoto (equivalent). No zoom whatsoever, but you can crop the sensor area if you would like a much smaller sensor...

View attachment 163018

DJI apparently says both the 3X and 7X are "optical zooms".
seems like there is a somewhat vague definition of optical zoom:

View attachment 163018

now, when I hear optical zoom I think of an internal mechanical operation of the lens and focal length. Like on my point-and-shoot camera...or with my Nikon binoculars
You're exactly on the mark.
DJI apparently says both the 3X and 7X are "optical zooms". But I have a Mavic 3 that already has that same 7X camera and for me, it's mechanically fixed at 7X and any X above that is achieved digitally
I don't think that text comes from DJI, does it? I'd say that the confusion comes from whoever wrote it, rather than DJI.

You're exactly on the mark.

I don't think that text comes from DJI, does it? I'd say that the confusion comes from whoever wrote it, rather than DJI.
yeah...it was the author of the article not DJI

maybe I expect too much but it sure seems that somebody with a job writing about camera drone ought to be better about the terms he uses

• Haha
Reactions: Mavikhan

What's your point?
Are you trying to say that you don't like people that know stuff or use correct terminology?
I wasn't "bashing" anyone.

No, I have never heard or seen DJI use the term optical zoom in describing the Mavic 3.
They use a meaningless term they call "hybrid zoom", probably only their marketing department know what that mean. Or they just thought it sounded good and modern. But of course, it is nothing more than a crop of the sensor area. So the large 4/3 sensor suddenly becomes a tiny 1/2 inch sensor when you "zoom" in.

The new Mavic 3 has three cameras with fixed focal length. 24mm wideangle, 70mm short telephoto and 166mm telephoto (equivalent). No zoom whatsoever, but you can crop the sensor area if you would like a much smaller sensor...
Thank you, this is the question I've been asking all along yet nobody can clearly explain how the hybrid system works, but it doesn't appear that it gives any more optical (combined) ranges than the standard primes offer from anything I can see.

Thank you, this is the question I've been asking all along yet nobody can clearly explain how the hybrid system works, but it doesn't appear that it gives any more optical (combined) ranges than the standard primes offer from anything I can see.
You're right. No more optical zoom will be available than 1X, 3X, and 7X.

Digital zoom, or hybrid zoom as DJI calls it, just enlarges a portion of the image collected by the camera. It's done in the drone and the pilot has control via a wheel or screen controls.

You can do the same thing on a phone or computer afterwards by zooming into the image. You're making the center portion of the image larger and throwing away the edges. So the output of only a portion of the photographic sensor is being used. Digital zoom is essentially like using a camera with a smaller sensor. The main advantage is that you can compose a zoomed image while flying the drone rather than doing it afterward on a phone or computer.

The quality of the image is degraded by either method, but it may not be significant, depending on what kind of device you use to display the image. Most people who want to achieve the best possible image quality don't use digital zoom.

The Mavic 3 Pro looks like it will have three cameras with fixed telephoto power 1X, 3X, and 7X. There will be no way to move the optics to put a zoomed image onto the sensor. Digital zoom will be available on all three cameras.

I hope that helps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard