DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro With RC-N1 and iPhone?

PHZ

Reactions
Noodling on a Mavic 3 Pro, but wondering if I can use my iPad’s much larger screen as I do with my M2.
I have used an M3E and RC Pro with the Pilot 2 app and I am not impressed with the size of the screen for creative purposes.
I do not see a DJI package for the M3 Pro and the RC-N1. Only for the RC with its small screen.
Can anyone confirm if the M3 Pro can be flown with the RC-N1 and an iPad or iPhone?
Thank you.

I know that the M3 can be used with the RC-N1 controller since that is how mine was originally delivered. I bought a RC Pro controller to use with my M3 before buying the M3 Pro so haven't tried the RC-N1 with the M3 Pro but would be surprised if that combination did not work.

I know that the M3 can be used with the RC-N1 controller since that is how mine was originally delivered. I bought a RC Pro controller to use with my M3 before buying the M3 Pro so haven't tried the RC-N1 with the M3 Pro but would be surprised if that combination did not work.
Thank you!

I have used my iPad Pro with the M3 but not the M3Pro. I have found occasional dropout wherein the app will quit and need to be restarted Not often but it does happen. I have to open the app again and am immediately reconnected. I contacted DJI and they noted that the iPad Pro is not an officially supported device. I have heard of a few other folks that have found a similar issue. I have not used the iPad in quite a while so it's possible that recent firmware or app updates have fixed it or my experience is anomalous but in the event you see the app quit on you, you won't be entirely surprised. I think some of the smaller iPads work fine and don't know if it's a M1iPad issue or what.

You can connect whatever Android or IOS device you want to the RC-N1.

IMO the best way to fly is the RC-N1 + the DJI sunhood + any smartphone. I tried tablets too bulky and too large for composition, but could come in handy in search and rescue or similar scenarios.

I'd get an RC Pro, but it's expensive, and I feel it's too late to pick one now. The new OS standard has been released with the Air 3 and isn't already compatible with the RC Pro (programmed obsolescence, because it's just a software limitation), so that basically means Mavic 4 is on the way with a RC-N2 and a new RC Pro.

The next things to be released by DJI, now that everything else has got a new iteration, are a new FPV maybe, a new Avata, and the Mavic 4. The Mavic 3 isn't even in production anymore, only the classic or the Pro are available for purchase (the Air2S equivalent of the Air 2), which is C2 in Europe, so there's a hole in the market.

I have used my iPad Pro with the M3 but not the M3Pro. I have found occasional dropout wherein the app will quit and need to be restarted Not often but it does happen. I have to open the app again and am immediately reconnected. I contacted DJI and they noted that the iPad Pro is not an officially supported device. I have heard of a few other folks that have found a similar issue. I have not used the iPad in quite a while so it's possible that recent firmware or app updates have fixed it or my experience is anomalous but in the event you see the app quit on you, you won't be entirely surprised. I think some of the smaller iPads work fine and don't know if it's a M1iPad issue or what.
Thank you, AKdrone. I have had that happen with other drones occasionally so not a big deal unless it happens all the time. Keep posting those great photos.

You can connect whatever Android or IOS device you want to the RC-N1.

IMO the best way to fly is the RC-N1 + the DJI sunhood + any smartphone. I tried tablets too bulky and too large for composition, but could come in handy in search and rescue or similar scenarios.

I'd get an RC Pro, but it's expensive, and I feel it's too late to pick one now. The new OS standard has been released with the Air 3 and isn't already compatible with the RC Pro (programmed obsolescence, because it's just a software limitation), so that basically means Mavic 4 is on the way with a RC-N2 and a new RC Pro.

The next things to be released by DJI, now that everything else has got a new iteration, are a new FPV maybe, a new Avata, and the Mavic 4. The Mavic 3 isn't even in production anymore, only the classic or the Pro are available for purchase (the Air2S equivalent of the Air 2), which is C2 in Europe, so there's a hole in the market.
Thank you DARKSeifer. Interesting that the M3 is already on its way out. I held back on it because I really want Litchi compatability, and now that DJ Wes has a "converter" program to put a Litchi mission into a DJI waypoint mission, I am considering an M3P. I may just wait now until the M4 comes out to see if it may have published SDKs so that third party software can work with it. However, I am not holding my breath, because DJI seems to be heading in a different direction and is clearly immune to their customer's requests. "We make what we make, and you should like it!"

Reactions: DJ Wes and Cafguy
I would note that on at least two occasions I saw a wire when using my iPad Pro that I don't think I would have noticed on my phone...I

Reactions: Roofdrone
Thank you DARKSeifer. Interesting that the M3 is already on its way out. I held back on it because I really want Litchi compatability, and now that DJ Wes has a "converter" program to put a Litchi mission into a DJI waypoint mission, I am considering an M3P. I may just wait now until the M4 comes out to see if it may have published SDKs so that third party software can work with it. However, I am not holding my breath, because DJI seems to be heading in a different direction and is clearly immune to their customer's requests. "We make what we make, and you should like it!"

Yep, Mavic 3 will be 2 years old this month... and it's still not usable with third party apps. DJI has a tendency to release half cooked drones and patch them over time, and at the same time, they release new drones like they were smartphones, so they never reach the point where you could say, "it's finished".

The sad thing about it is that it's entirely software related.

When I saw it announced, I wanted to pick the RC 2 because it has the same emission power than the RC Pro, but way cheaper, but guess what, it's just compatible with the Air 3 and Mini 4. Why can't it be backwards compatible with the O3 and O2 drones, like the Mavic 3? Forced programmed obsolescence through software; DJI just cares about money, nothing more.

Last edited:
Reactions: shb
I am not holding my breath, because DJI seems to be heading in a different direction and is clearly immune to their customer's requests.
Carnac the Magnificent Answers:
A crowbar,- Lot's of money, -and a Hacker.

Question: What will it take for DJI to release future SDK's ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne