DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Crashed

Thunderking

Reactions
Good morning, I recently purchased a Mavic Air in my area, first time out I flew into the side of my house and the drone fell about five feet onto the concrete, Anyways I’m ok with that, my question would be that falling on concrete could I have damaged the drone some how, I’ve heard that they are a very robust machine but as I am new to drones I would just like to find out others opinions on how durable they are, thank you for your input.

Last edited:
think you need to read the manual on RTH procedure, take note of the part about using RTH when close to home point
Why would you give this advice. Nobody mentioned anything about RTH. The guy is asking about how well built the drone is and you tell him to read the manual on RTH doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: Thunderking
Good morning, I recently purchased a Mavic Air in my area, first time out I flew into the side of my house and the drone fell about five feet onto the concrete, Anyways I’m ok with that, my question would be that falling on concrete could I have damaged the drone some how, I’ve heard that they are a very robust machine but as I am new to drones I would just like to find out others opinions on how durable they are, thank you for your input.
Yes their built like a tank. I suggest you find a open field and fly there to you get the feel for the controls before you fly near obstruction again.

my question would be that falling on concrete could I have damaged the drone some how, I’ve heard that they are a very robust machine but as I am new to drones I would just like to find out others opinions on how durable they are,
Even a little fall can do serious damage and sometimes a fall from a great height can do no damage.
It depends on what part of the drone hits.

Flying close to obstacles is one of the most dangerous things you can do with a drone.
It's best to do your learning flights in a large, open area, well away from buildings, trees, overhead wires etc.
When there's nothing to hit, it's almost impossible to get into trouble.

your right bigbird48, my mistake, don't know what I was thinking there, wires crossed with another thread about RTH floating around in my head at the same time

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlStarke
Hate to sound like I know something ,but, have you read the book ? Need to do that. Turn on your
obstical (sp) avoidance and that will help when in tight spaces

Reactions: Thunderking
Even a little fall can do serious damage and sometimes a fall from a great height can do no damage.
It depends on what part of the drone hits.

Flying close to obstacles is one of the most dangerous things you can do with a drone.
It's best to do your learning flights in a large, open area, well away from buildings, trees, overhead wires etc.
When there's nothing to hit, it's almost impossible to get into trouble.

Meta4's post sums things up very well. Collisions that seem very simple can be very complex things to analyze - hence the observation that a dramatic fall can cause little damage, while a minor, low speed crash can cause major damage.

I had a couple of crashes that scared me when I saw them happen, yet the only damage was a small nick in a prop in one crash (replaced), and actually no damage at all in the second crash, except for tree sap that needed some Windex on a paper towel to remove. One thing that happened in both cases was that two of the snap on landing gear extensions came off (just had to snap back on) - obviously some of the energy was dissipated that way...a good thing. Also, one of the front legs partially folded - built in energy dissipation.

Using prop guards can be a two edged sword; they can prevent a crash by allowing contact with a surface like a wall, without affecting the props, yet if you fly into bushes, the guards can become "tree hangers" keeping your drone from falling to the ground. There is, of course, a minor performance hit due to the extra weight whenever they are attached.

Meta4's post sums things up very well. Collisions that seem very simple can be very complex things to analyze - hence the observation that a dramatic fall can cause little damage, while a minor, low speed crash can cause major damage.

I had a couple of crashes that scared me when I saw them happen, yet the only damage was a small nick in a prop in one crash (replaced), and actually no damage at all in the second crash, except for tree sap that needed some Windex on a paper towel to remove. One thing that happened in both cases was that two of the snap on landing gear extensions came off (just had to snap back on) - obviously some of the energy was dissipated that way...a good thing. Also, one of the front legs partially folded - built in energy dissipation.

Using prop guards can be a two edged sword; they can prevent a crash by allowing contact with a surface like a wall, without affecting the props, yet if you fly into bushes, the guards can become "tree hangers" keeping your drone from falling to the ground. There is, of course, a minor performance hit due to the extra weight whenever they are attached.
Thank you very much for your reply.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark