DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic attacked by a swarm

Eijin

Reactions
Just took a quick fly around 3 minutes as a red warning for wind appeared when I was returning I have noticed it is being surrounded by a swarm of wasps and it was in 100% urban area just over high street. Dirt on the pictures looks like a bird poo but in fact it must be a venom.

Attachments

• 20170524_154307.jpg
    20170524_154307.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 287
  • 20170524_154316.jpg
    20170524_154316.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 279
  • 20170524_154332.jpg
    20170524_154332.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 262
Looks like you killed a few of themThumbswayup

I had that happen to me one time when I was flying a Heli. It was a swarm of honey bee's. It sounded like a giant bug zapper in the sky. What a mess.

I had that happen to me one time when I was flying a Heli. It was a swarm of honey bee's. It sounded like a giant bug zapper in the sky. What a mess.

That's weird honey bee's are not supposed to attack without a direct threat and hovering drone away from nest is far from a threat to them....I suppose

It was like the rotor noise was attracting them They were chasing it around in the sky. As soon as I landed they left

The africanized honey bee found in the south-south west will attack if you are using a 2-cycle weed whip. They are actually found through out the US and can not survive the harsh winters, we have had them here in Michigan. The unprovoked attacks are usually caused by using a vibrating engine or an object making some sort of vibrating noise. I have had wasp attack with out disturbing the nest when using such equipment.

Had something similar happen to me this afternoon.

After launching I hovered at around 200' while I adjusted some settings and set the focus. While sitting there a few curious bees came by to check out the MPP. As I flew away those few initial bees apparently went back to the hive and got all their buddies; suddenly there were a whole bunch swarming around. I ascended but they followed me up. I ascended again and flew forward and they seemed to give up at that point; I didn't see them again for the remainder of the flight. When I landed there was a bit of bug juice on the MPP's fuselage, so I think I puree'd a few of them. :D

Had something similar happen to me this afternoon.

After launching I hovered at around 200' while I adjusted some settings and set the focus. While sitting there a few curious bees came by to check out the MPP. As I flew away those few initial bees apparently went back to the hive and got all their buddies; suddenly there were a whole bunch swarming around. I ascended but they followed me up. I ascended again and flew forward and they seemed to give up at that point; I didn't see them again for the remainder of the flight. When I landed there was a bit of bug juice on the MPP's fuselage, so I think I puree'd a few of them. :D
That was kind of dangerous, your Mavic was lucky that they didn't damage anything internally.

These are probably honeybee drones who think they just discovered the most fantastic queen bee, which ironically turns out to be your drone. They wait at about 50 feet altitude and listen for the queen's wing beat frequency. If you go higher, or lower, they will ease off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kashifkhattak