DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic camera settings and ND filters

M4RK

Reactions
This may seem a very basic question to very many of you who are clearly experts in such matters, having read so many excellent posts on here, but I wanted to clarify how to use ND filters correctly on my Mavic.

From what I can gather, ND filters are used to reduce the amount of light entering the lens when shooting video, enabling the shutter speed to be reduced, so that ideally it can be double the frame rate chosen eg at 30fps a shutter speed of 1/60sec is desirable.

So I fit my chosen ND filter and then I gather that an ISO of 100 is best (to avoid graininess?) which I assume I set manually. My query is, do I also set the shutter speed manually?

If that results in an image that is too dark, do I use the right hand scroll wheel to lighten the image (which must alter the shutter speed and/or the ISO as the aperture is fixed on the Mavic) ?

Or change filters?

Again, apologies to those of you to whom this is no doubt a very basic question!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Gmatricks
Hi Mark,
Like yourself i'm a novice when it not only comes to photography and lens's but also drones as well meaning this is a steep learning curve in multiple directions for me but like yourself i too am asking questions on the topics i just have no understanding about and searching the world wide web for the answers to the illusive questions.
I've just watched a prety cool vid about the correct settings and how to judge for yourself what is and isn't correct settings when setting up your camera and whist watching it i thought about the question you'd asked here. My interpretation of the answer to your question is watch the video and if after watching it you feel the need to add filters then surly it's just a case of then adjusting the other two sides of the triangle to accommodate the altered measurement/reading.

I always set my ISO to 100 and shutter speed to twice the value of the frame rate. The ND filter will depend on the time of the day you shoot and the subject matter. Usually, around noon, I use ND16 or ND32. If shooting near the golden hour, I use ND8 or even ND4. Subject matter I shoot are green/brown mountain ranges and blue bodies of water. If you're shooting in the snow, bring it up a level.

If for some reason my exposure is under or over exposed after putting the ND filter on, I turn off the Mavic and replace the ND filter for the correct exposure.

I was using an Nd 8 filter with the ISO at 100 and I could not see anything. The nd 8 filter is my lowest one and it’s usually sunny here. I finally moved my iso up to 200 and I could at least use camera to navigate with.

Right now I am mainly using camera to analyze flights and navigate tricky stuff FPV.

Advice to novice photographer? How do I wean myself from Auto everything?

I was using an Nd 8 filter with the ISO at 100 and I could not see anything. The nd 8 filter is my lowest one and it’s usually sunny here. I finally moved my iso up to 200 and I could at least use camera to navigate with.

Right now I am mainly using camera to analyze flights and navigate tricky stuff FPV.

Advice to novice photographer? How do I wean myself from Auto everything?

Finally found the shutter speed dial. Kind of important.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan