DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Cooling System!

TheLightSpeed!

Reactions
So I made a post earlier about getting a Over Heating situation on my Mavic whilst trying to fly with External Batteries in 100 degree heat.

I started investigating the cooling system on my Mavic. Obviously there is one larger fan at the front... all good. But is there another at the rear? I assume there is... Because we can see the two vents at the rear?

What I noticed today, that I never noticed before, is my cooling fan in the rear of the bird is exhausting through the Led Cover or there about? Not through the vents either side of it? Are those intakes?

Are the two intake grills at the rear for looks only?

I guess my question would be, is this normal?

EDIT -
So now I realize after running some vapor through the front fan the exhaust is on the front of the heat sink.

So is there a cooking fan at the rear of the Mavic at all?

Is the cooling solely dependent on the front fan?

Is there anything I can do to reduce the operating temps?

Last edited:
Can you specify what component of your bird was overheating? Motors, Heat sink? Did you use a temp gauge to check the temperatures?

There is only one fan in the bird. The rear vents do absolutely nothing. I checked heat flow from the fan to the heat sinks and it all ducted out of there. Very little coming from the 2 aft vents.

Yes the cooling is entirely dependent on the front fan for the internal components. But the heat sink is cooled by the air flow while flying.

If you have a temperature gun, take a 15 minute flight then land and check your motor temperatures your heat sink temperatures and your internal component temperatures through the 2 aft vents. You will see that the internal core board and flight control board will be around 96゚F.

Another fact that my sound unbelievable is that the internal components remain the same temperature weather flying with the gimbal bubble on or off. I tested it and the temperatures were identical.

Can you specify what component of your bird was overheating? Motors, Heat sink? Did you use a temp gauge to check the temperatures?

There is only one fan in the bird. The rear vents do absolutely nothing. I checked heat flow from the fan to the heat sinks and it all ducted out of there. Very little coming from the 2 aft vents.

Yes the cooling is entirely dependent on the front fan for the internal components. But the heat sink is cooled by the air flow while flying.

If you have a temperature gun, take a 15 minute flight then land and check your motor temperatures your heat sink temperatures and your internal component temperatures through the 2 aft vents. You will see that the internal core board and flight control board will be around 96゚F.

Another fact that my sound unbelievable is that the internal components remain the same temperature weather flying with the gimbal bubble on or off. I tested it and the temperatures were identical.

Interesting.

So here's my issue @thurnderdrones flying in hot heat doesn't bother it. Flying with one 3.0 MS battery doesn't bother it, but then two? Or one 5.2 MS battery and it gives me this error after about half the battery.

The error is showing me overheating and it sends the IMU and compass in for trouble.
f4de402b191683293a7676556ac43780.jpg

That's what happened when I tried to calibrate the IMU after the error. While it was still hot.

I was hoping there was something that could aid in cooling.

I'm assuming the motors are getting hot. @beanbubba did a test with a ton of weight and the motor mounts broke or rather melted apart. I know the drone can carry the weight, but the error must be coming as a result of the internal temps.

I never fly with the dome.

I'm always slowly moving. In today's test I was flying in circles at 8mph.

I'm willing to bet mines getting hotter than you've seen before?

This error seems to be unknown to almost everyone. Of course I'm in Arizona and it's a million degrees out everyday.

Maybe shoot the motors and heat sink with nitrogen! [emoji23]

Download DAT logs from flights in stock setup, with 1 and with 2 batteries and analyze/post for others to look at. There are several temperature readings it would be interesting to compare.

Problem is most likely the ESC temps. They're inside the body, and already get quite toasty (around 60-65°C) in normal conditions and 25°C ambient. My guess is your extra weight pushes them too high (70-80°C, or more?) then since they are close to the IMU that gets heated above the controlled 65°C it's supposed to always be at.

No reason the motors would complain about being too hot (until they get SO hot the magnets lose strength, but if you were there you'd have dug a hole in the ground already).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun