DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic disabling in no fly zones, how to stop that

salm123

Reactions
my drone automatically disables and lands when im in no fly zones, is there a way to disable that? I got permission for flying it so its all legal and good its just that the mavic isnt letting me.. i still want to use GPS though

Reactions: younumpty

Wow they hacked out all the locations in the NFZ list and charge $200 !! I am not in agreement with all of the NFZ data being eliminated. It should still be able to stop people from flying over airports and other sensitive areas.

I pretty much knew this was going to happen when DJI started to become the drone police. This hack is not going to be good for the hobby.

Rob

Wow they hacked out all the locations in the NFZ list and charge $200 !! I am not in agreement with all of the NFZ data being eliminated. It should still be able to stop people from flying over airports and other sensitive areas.

I pretty much knew this was going to happen when DJI started to become the drone police. This hack is not going to be good for the hobby.

Rob

No but life finds a way.
I can still fly my much larger hex copter which is the best filming platform I have anywhere anytime. It weighs in at 8-9 pounds or more loaded with batteries and DSLR. It does run DJI flight controllers but they are plug and play if you like. If a small plane hit that its lights out.
Mavic's just happen to be a convenience item made for people who couldn't fly a rig like mine out of the box and the drone community is mostly populated by pilots of other crafts.

Problem is as it states any FW update will wipe it clean this will now make DJI force updates on owners to comply. An expensive 200 dollar investment can be wiped out with one wrong swipe of a button.

i can understand why this was done but, Any Pilot who thinks taking out major international airport NFZ's can only be doing that to fly into them. Not what i want to see.

I sometimes take my chances over buildings people etc depending on the country i am in and sometimes i will fly where others will not,

Airports are not on my agenda nor are military bases or prisons etc.

This is not really such a great option as it will either cost you money when you are forced into an update or it will force us into updating or not flying at all.

It would be very very easy for DJI to just force a no take off at all if NFZ is not updated or take away our control of it now.

The GEO off works fine for me allowing me to fly fine. Even with GEO off you are still limited to some degree on where you can fly especially if you keep the NFZ updates going.

Right now we still do have some control over GEO but the future is bleak and even bleaker when this kind os software is made publicly available.

Problem is as it states any FW update will wipe it clean this will now make DJI force updates on owners to comply. An expensive 200 dollar investment can be wiped out with one wrong swipe of a button.

i can understand why this was done but, Any Pilot who thinks taking out major international airport NFZ's can only be doing that to fly into them. Not what i want to see.

I sometimes take my chances over buildings people etc depending on the country i am in and sometimes i will fly where others will not,

Airports are not on my agenda nor are military bases or prisons etc.

This is not really such a great option as it will either cost you money when you are forced into an update or it will force us into updating or not flying at all.

It would be very very easy for DJI to just force a no take off at all if NFZ is not updated or take away our control of it now.

The GEO off works fine for me allowing me to fly fine. Even with GEO off you are still limited to some degree on where you can fly especially if you keep the NFZ updates going.

Right now we still do have some control over GEO but the future is bleak and even bleaker when this kind os software is made publicly available.

Mavic owners are only a small part of the drone community. Most guys fly big rigs like me or non DJI nanny stuff and can go anywhere. The community are sensible. There will always be an idiot to ruin it all.
Your 200 is guaranteed. They release new updates after DJI do. Just have done..
Not saying at all be illegal. I'm an adult treat me like one. I'm not going to be flying my twin rotor hex into any sensitive areas.

Mavic owners are only a small part of the drone community. Most guys fly big rigs like me or non DJI nanny stuff and can go anywhere. The community are sensible. There will always be an idiot to ruin it all.
Your 200 is guaranteed. They release new updates after DJI do. Just have done..
Not saying at all be illegal. I'm an adult treat me like one. I'm not going to be flying my twin rotor hex into any sensitive areas.
Did i not treat you as an adult? not sure where that came from. I expressed my opinion on what you posted that was all.

i do not care where you fly personally or how big your rig is.

I do not care if you have the best flying skills in the world.
each to his own.

Also if you are not gonna be flying your whatever into whatever why would you be so concerned at having the NFZ, lets be honest you will never hear or see it right?

Mavic owners are a small part of the community but they are also the ones who make up a part of the whole drone community.

Therefore they are justified in having an opinion on flying drones and all it entails. not just the big boys with what they call their big guns.

we all think we can handle our toys big or small Treat us with an adult theme too. It sounds to me like you are putting yourself and your man toy in way too high a bracket here. Just my opinion of course

Reactions: WAXMAN
Did i not treat you as an adult? not sure where that came from. I expressed my opinion on what you posted that was all.

i do not care where you fly personally or how big your rig is.

I do not care if you have the best flying skills in the world.
each to his own.

Also if you are not gonna be flying your whatever into whatever why would you be so concerned at having the NFZ, lets be honest you will never hear or see it right?

Mavic owners are a small part of the community but they are also the ones who make up a part of the whole drone community.

Therefore they are justified in having an opinion on flying drones and all it entails. not just the big boys with what they call their big guns.

we all think we can handle our toys big or small Treat us with an adult theme too. It sounds to me like you are putting yourself and your man toy in way too high a bracket here. Just my opinion of course

Think you misread me. The fact is that the drone community will always have those who do stupid things. DJI with their limitations on products are entitled to that too. The fact is that if an idiot wants to be an idiot they will be. No disrespect to you and I wasn't taking what you said as something directed to me. The fact is if you prohibit something then it has value and we will always have people who do not respect the law. Personally I never fly anywhere near a nfz but I could with any other of my Copter's. I live just 10 feet inside of an orange zone and behind me is a football stadium which I have no interest in flying anywhere near. It's irksome to have to take off from my neighbours garden to fly out to my spot on the beach which is 100 feet in front of me when I use my Mavic.
My point was why DJI would want to control nfz when the law of the land does? Hence not feeling like they treat us like adults.
I agree with you but unfortunately it won't be a tiny Mavic that takes a small plane down. It'll be a big rig that's not constrained.
The only reason there's a workaround for which people will pay 200 dollars for is because of prohibitive actions on behalf of DJI. That said as a producer of an out of the box anybody can fly product if one of their drones causes trouble they would have had to cover their butts.
Apologies if somehow the topic offends. [emoji1598]

I do despair at the fact that there are so many new drones in the air which will lead to one of my favourite pastimes being curtailed. I'm flying models 40 years now one way or another. Ten years ago people loved to see a model fly. Now they loathe them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary cato
Think you misread me. The fact is that the drone community will always have those who do stupid things. DJI with their limitations on products are entitled to that too. The fact is that if an idiot wants to be an idiot they will be. No disrespect to you and I wasn't taking what you said as something directed to me. The fact is if you prohibit something then it has value and we will always have people who do not respect the law. Personally I never fly anywhere near a nfz but I could with any other of my Copter's. I live just 10 feet inside of an orange zone and behind me is a football stadium which I have no interest in flying anywhere near. It's irksome to have to take off from my neighbours garden to fly out to my spot on the beach which is 100 feet in front of me when I use my Mavic.
My point was why DJI would want to control nfz when the law of the land does? Hence not feeling like they treat us like adults.
I agree with you but unfortunately it won't be a tiny Mavic that takes a small plane down. It'll be a big rig that's not constrained.
The only reason there's a workaround for which people will pay 200 dollars for is because of prohibitive actions on behalf of DJI. That said as a producer of an out of the box anybody can fly product if one of their drones causes trouble they would have had to cover their butts.
Apologies if somehow the topic offends. [emoji1598]

I do despair at the fact that there are so many new drones in the air which will lead to one of my favourite pastimes being curtailed. I'm flying models 40 years now one way or another. Ten years ago people loved to see a model fly. Now they loathe them.

No offence taken i promise and i do agree that we should be able to decide for ourselves As i say i do not always fly within the constrains of the code/law/regulations myself. Although i do have my limits.

I also agree popularity can sometimes be a *****, and one that can bite you n the *** later as the people who had a mad few months then gave up flying a drone, moved on and left behind a wake of rules for the rest of us that are to be honest way over the top.

Also i have no problem with keeping my GEO firmly switched off and not updating the NFZ but keeping the basic database of international airports as a minimum. I have no idea what is added underneath all taht that i do not see.

DJI are protecting a future multi million pound buisness, Then again they could make every buyer register the drone with them and make you sign for that with an agreement that your information would be passed to the legal departments if your drone was found to be involved in any incident and give you that option alongside the database alone.

I would be ok with having my drone registered (which as a hobbyist where i am is not a requirement).

Only problem with that is they have to find the drone, although DJI has all our flight logs on its server, as if u delete DJI go and reinstall u can synch back all your flight records to the app when you sign back in to the account.

If that is the case then we are easily found if the DJI database of flight logging was a searchable feature for them to trace any flights at specific locations.

DJI are now admittedly bricking it from government control killing off their business

Innovation sometimes brings both good and bad, for me an Inspire is about as much as i would ever need or want to be flying (or another of similar capabillity and more reliable and customer focused company).

for most of us though DJI have no real competitors and they know it.

The issue with the DJI limitations is that they remove control from the operator, and the operator is the one on the hook for the drones behaviour - eg the height from take off limit, or max altitude limit - we don't all live in flat areas under FAA jurisdiction. Issue is also because of the terrible way they implemented the NFZ, with NFZs that can pop into existence after take off and suddenly appear while the drone is inside them because that is when things have downloaded. Not so bad if suddenly being inside an NFZ caused it to RTL out, or alert the pilot that you're inside one, and to get out/land - but enforcing immediate landing takes control from the pilot, for which they're liable, and it seems like a good way for DJI to shift a few more units when ppl buy replacements for drones that took a swim.

I'd rather remove the NFZ and read the charts and notices than have to worry about someone sending an update while I'm in the air that could force me down with no say in the matter.

The issue with the DJI limitations is that they remove control from the operator, and the operator is the one on the hook for the drones behaviour - eg the height from take off limit, or max altitude limit - we don't all live in flat areas under FAA jurisdiction. Issue is also because of the terrible way they implemented the NFZ, with NFZs that can pop into existence after take off and suddenly appear while the drone is inside them because that is when things have downloaded. Not so bad if suddenly being inside an NFZ caused it to RTL out, or alert the pilot that you're inside one, and to get out/land - but enforcing immediate landing takes control from the pilot, for which they're liable, and it seems like a good way for DJI to shift a few more units when ppl buy replacements for drones that took a swim.

I'd rather remove the NFZ and read the charts and notices than have to worry about someone sending an update while I'm in the air that could force me down with no say in the matter.
Can not disagree with that.

I am a bit confused about the whole NFZ thing. I live in an urban area and first flight I got a check box about class D airport.

Other times I get a message that says "grass strip fly with caution" or something like that. But it us only a message, like a high wind warning.

That's it, nothing else.

I've never seen any map in go4 that shows any NFZs. Am I missing something here?

I am a bit confused about the whole NFZ thing. I live in an urban area and first flight I got a check box about class D airport.

Other times I get a message that says "grass strip fly with caution" or something like that. But it us only a message, like a high wind warning.

That's it, nothing else.

I've never seen any map in go4 that shows any NFZs. Am I missing something here?

Just scroll over to an airport. It'll be red. Restricted at all times unless govt approval which you email DJI. Orange you can unlock with your credit card on DJI app. Class d is only warning be vigilant.

Reactions: uganeu
The way I see it, the pilot of any UAV is ultimately responsible to comply with all relevant laws for where he flies, and SHOULD always be able to control the aircraft instead of being 2nd guessed by the firmware/software. All these problems with auto-landing because of an update to the NFZ WHILE FLYING, should be disabled, but I don't think that will ever happen. I'm personally turning off all network connections to the phone while flying to prevent this issue, and pre-loading the maps for the area I intend to fly...

DJI, as the biggest drone supplier, is under huge pressure from the Chinese Government to resolve the issue of drones flying around China airports and causing flight shut downs. This was the cause for the quick release of the buggy .500 firmware that seriously extended the NFZ around China airports... Still hasn't resolved the issue though since there was yet another drone incident yesterday at one of the airports..

Ultimately, all this band aid solutions by DJI is simply causing more bugs and unpredictable behaviour in the firmware, so I'm staying with .400 for the foreseeable future...

It isn't hacking, it's using debug tools that DJI left in their software for us to use as we see fit :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61