DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic dive bombed using ActiveTrack

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to drones and my Mavic Pro. Slowly getting comfortable with its features and 'intelligent' options. I was recording recently using ActiveTrack Trace on a friend and the Mavic decided, like a vicious magpie, to dive-bomb my friend by itself! I managed to take control before it had chance to get too close but was wondering if anyone has come across this and what might have caused it?? Cheers for any intel.
Hi There
Also in OZ. I'm not good at articulating things in writing but here goes. Ye I have had this very same thing happen to me several times in TRACE mode. Every time it happened I was using myself as the tracked subject but It's definitely not pilot error. I think it's the drone not being able to calculate the distance from the subject ( This probably will only occur when BACKWARD flying is enabled for Active Track Modes) because of the position of the sun probably washing out the subjects contrast with the background and so it can no longer accurately work out it's distance and it tries to adjust to what it thinks is the original size and position of the subject when first set. ( bear in mind that the mavic does not use it's little radar sensor to track subjects distance, it uses the size and position of the subject in the camera by calculating the size and position of the pixils making up the subject and trying to keep that constant) It will fly toward or away from subject ( this obviously changes the contrast in the optics the same way as re-positioning yourself when you try to view something but the sun is in your eyes for instance ) and if the subject looks too big it backs up and then alternatively it looks too small again so it goes toward subject and loops with this constant feed back changing and thus making it go back and forth like that. It's never quite wacked into me but it is scary with the picture of spinning props and delicate eyes ( in my mind) not giving a favorable outcome. I'm not saying this is the gospel explanation but the only one I can come up with when anecdotally analyzing it off the top of my head. The only way to really work out if that is true is to try and replicate it or view the footage and see which way the shadows of the subject ( if any ) and thus if the sun was directly behind or directly in front of the camera ( milky lens flare in the mavic Camera plays havoc with it's track ability.). If you can replicate it then try disabling the 'Backward Fly' option and see if it still occurs. I mentioned trace mode but if the 'Backward Flying' ability is enabled for Active Track modes the drone may possibly do this for other Acive Track modes besides just 'TRACE'. Like I say, this whole explanation is merely anecdotal and so would require a bit of investigation in the direction of using Active Track to try and replicate this possible idiosyncrasy with backward fly option and without it.
Pity there wasn't an actual physical local Mavic Club where members get together face to face. We would probably iron out the numerous questions and problems much quicker.

I'm a noobie and I used the active track for the first time the other day and it worked really good. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am a Mavic man but a Parrot was my first love. As you can see, the "Follow Me" works well. I have crashed it a couple of times with FM but I am usually pushing its limits and my luck when I do. I love my Mavic too much to risk it.

Im not fan of active track at all. I seen way to many crashes in the mode to want to try it out. I like to do waypoint missions and other autonomous flight but the mavic needs 360 degree sensors like p4p if it going have chance not crashing during at

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki