DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic drone crashed into my friends truck. How do I find the owner?

I would just post a couple of flyers on telephone poles or craigslist, and say "Drone Found, describe to "claim""etc., etc., etc.. And go from there, if the "owner"/"flyer" responds.
But my guard hairs have risen now, He hasn't responded back for anything.

Reactions: dirkclod
I wouldn’t go that far unless I knew exactly what happened
for it being where it was.

This is what's wrong today we rush to think it was a bad person doing bad things... **** maybe the person had a heart attack or some other medical issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what was the outcome?

I wouldn’t go that far unless I knew exactly what happened
for it being where it was.
If it was recording at the time and you play the video, it may show the take off location, the flight path, and if he was flying legally/illegally, i.e., over moving traffic, down the street, etc., get the facts if possible, then decide your action.

If it was recording at the time and you play the video, it may show the take off location, the flight path, and if he was flying legally/illegally, i.e., over moving traffic, down the street, etc., get the facts if possible, then decide your action.
Yes it would but we know nothing other than what the 1st
post says. He hasn’t responded since and to be honest
we don’t even know if it really happened do we. ;)

So here’s the OP’s name and phone number (according to his first post in Dec 2016): Kurt 626-319-2279

Given the silence between that posting in the Classifieds and this current posting, and the fact that the OP hasn’t responded to any of the comments when he has asked for advice, I smell something rotten in the State of ...

Perhaps we could simply close this rather pointless and somewhat dubious thread?

Attachments

• A8A668EC-DF04-4B29-AC2B-769CA553B7C4.jpeg
    A8A668EC-DF04-4B29-AC2B-769CA553B7C4.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 26
FYI If I read correctly, the two posts regarding the sale of the drone are from 2016. My guess is the individual is not a frequent member.

My guess is the individual is not a frequent member.
Correct and has not logged back on since he made the post.
Well I agree ajkm but will just temp close it till @Incinr8 messages me he is ready to continue what he started . Then I will reopen it .
IMG_9413.png

Reactions: ajkm and m0nk3y
Update: first I'm sorry for not updating this sooner. Long story short.A police report was filed. I got the drone and pulled the SD card. On the card were lots of pictures of two people whom I thought could be the owner/owners, Both of them happened to have medical scrubs on. I zoomed in on the photos and recognized ones I.D. badge as from a local hospital group, My Wife happens to work for the same hospital and actually recognized one of the men. There was also a picture of a computer screen from this hospital that had the name of the user logged in, in the corner. This name, Address numbers in pics and where he works all led me to single out the person i thought it was.

My friend ended up calling His Dept at work and left a couple messages to return his call with no avail. The cop my friend filed the report with said if drone boy does not return the call, he would go down to the hospital and arrest him. My friend called the hospital back and relayed this message. Drone boy ended up calling my friend back a couple hours later.

The guy refused to pay any of the three estimates and said he had a friend who could do it for less. My friend said no way..Cops said he needed to file in small claims court. Then the covid hit. I will update when it gets through court. Oh, The guy admitted it was his and said it flew away. It dented my buddies roof and took out a clearance light. About $1200.00 worth of damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Easy, Let your Auto insurance company handle it.
File a claim, get your truck repaired, and the ins. company will go after the other guy to get their money back. Easy peasy for you.
He has been identified....Right?
Police know of him, you know of him , he admitted it......
Now is the time to let your auto insurance company know....
Waaay easier than Small Claims Court....
Odds are he probably does not have a homeowners/renters liability coverage.....

...My friend ended up calling His Dept at work and left a couple messages to return his call with no avail. The cop my friend filed the report with said if drone boy does not return the call, he would go down to the hospital and arrest him. My friend called the hospital back and relayed this message. Drone boy ended up calling my friend back a couple hours later.

The guy refused to pay any of the three estimates and said he had a friend who could do it for less. My friend said no way..Cops said he needed to file in small claims court. Then the covid hit. I will update when it gets through court. Oh, The guy admitted it was his and said it flew away. It dented my buddies roof and took out a clearance light. About $1200.00 worth of damage.
Easy, Let your Auto insurance company handle it.
File a claim, get your truck repaired, and the ins. company will go after the other guy to get their money back. Easy peasy for you.
He has been identified....Right?
Police know of him, you know of him , he admitted it......
Now is the time to let your auto insurance company know....
Waaay easier than Small Claims Court....
Odds are he probably does not have a homeowners/renters liability coverage.....

The only problem with filing an insurance claim is that your friend now has to deal with his deductable. It's easy, but there is probably a cost to him.

The friend can try to play a little hardball before going through small claims court or via insurance. He can call Drone Boy one more time and say if he doesn't agree to pay, he's going to do a few things:
  1. He will send the pictures to the hospital administrator. Taking pictures of the computer screens at a hospital is not a smart move, if there is any patient information visible you have a possible HIPAA violation. At any rate, the guy will have a fun afternoon with his HR department explaining why pictures from the hospital ended up in a drone that crashed into a truck.
  2. He will notify the FAA and let Drone Boy know how much the FAA can fine operators for careless and reckless flying. Bring up that there can both civil and criminal penalties, especially if the drone was not registered.
  3. Share the story with a local TV station. Once again, he gets another fun afternoon meeting with HR.
  4. And tell him that he's going to small claims court.
It's the idiots like Drone Boy that causes problems for the rest of us.

Reactions: Flycaster
First thing is to send a 30 day Letter of Demand for Small Claims.
Explain 2 possible options:
1. "Pilot" pays for repair , in full, or
2. You file with your auto insurance, and go for the deductible in Small Claims. Already a Police Report.

The "pilot" has ZERO wiggle room.

Reactions: anotherlab
First thing is to send a 30 day Letter of Demand for Small Claims.
Explain 2 possible options:
1. "Pilot" pays for repair , in full, or
2. You file with your auto insurance, and go for the deductible in Small Claims. Already a Police Report.

The "pilot" has ZERO wiggle room.
I’d take it all the court if drone owner/pilot doesn’t pay full damages. Try to get your ins company involved. If you file a claim your rates will likely rise.

He was sent a demand notice and still refused to pay. The insurance deductible was about 1000.00 if i remember. That the reason for small claims.

Reactions: Flycaster
He was sent a demand notice and still refused to pay. The insurance deductible was about 1000.00 if i remember. That the reason for small claims.
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding with small claims court is that you will waive all other claims. If your friend goes that route, he should go through his insurance company first. When that process is complete, go to small claims court to recover the deductible and any other costs associated with the drone strike.

Reactions: Limey
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111