DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Fakes Dynamic Range in New D Log

Matija

Reactions
A thing I noticed while playing with D Log today.

D Log fakes dynamic range on Mavic! If you lower contrast to -2 or more in D Log it gets more obvious. I have zebras on and histogram while shooting. You can shoot into direct sunlight, set iso to 1600, shutter to 50 and zebras won't kick in nor histogram will show clipping in highlights, and you will get obviously only a blank screen. It simply cuts everything above 80% white, and shows you have 20% headroom to work with, while you have nothing left but white screen. The same goes for shadows, they are cut the same way fooling you and the meters. Not cool DJI, cheap software trick!

This guy kind of shows this at 10.42

Reactions: CDE
Thats very interesting demonstration of the compression.
I am not sure if MY problem with D-Log is compression or the recent LUT file. I am just not happy with it. Also I now have to use two different LUT files and label video as to which was shot under .400 and .500 firmware. Right now I have gone to ART and until I have time to mess with more of the selections I will use that. It's working good for me.

Rob

I noticed this when reviewing some footage today. It looked like I could easily recover some highlights in the sky, but instead it was completely blown out.

Reactions: CDE and avanti1963
The same happens with D Cinelike when contrast is set to -2 or -3.

Hi!! I've done a lot of filming in d-log -3/-3/-3 and can't get the image right, even using color finale. Do you have any tips to fix it, besides stop filming in -3/-3/-3?? Best regards, I'll wait for your answer

Best regards and thanks for your help

Last edited:
Try ND filters or graded filters? However -3 in contrast and sharpness is too low for this baby. I don't think it is that important to lower those so much either. I have seen some amazing footage with 0,0,0. Same goes for dslr.

They don't "fake" dynamic range, they compress it the same way as in other D-Log devices to ensure a common workflow... but obviously it's less filled with the Mavic since the cellphone sensor of course has less than the higher end models.

Log curves are typically fitted to the best camera in the lineup and then some margin for the next one or 2, which means different models will fill the range more or less but none will fill it completely, no other way to do it and perfectly normal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf