DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic gains altitude on its own

xrider

Reactions
hello everyone
im posting this as my classic started to gain altitude on its own and really dont know whats the cause of this.. imu has been calibrated and sensors are clean.. im posting a log hoping someone could shed some light as its the second time i see this weird thing.. note that by the time the flight took place weather was cloudy.. no sun flares..

fw is up to date at the latest version both in rc and ac
thanks in advance
xrider

im posting this as my classic started to gain altitude on its own and really dont know whats the cause of this.. i
There's 10.5 mins of flight and a few thousand lines of data to wade through.
It would help if you could point to where in the flight you observed this.

Try 39 sec to around 69 sec. 50ft to 118ft during which the throttle is mainly centred or partially closed though there are a few throttle opened lines.

I am wondering if the drone flew into a clear patch of sky and the OA saw the sun as an obstacle?

keisan.casio.com

Solar elevation angle (for a day) Calculator

Calculates a table of changes in the solar elevation and azimuth angles for a day and draws the chart.
keisan.casio.com
keisan.casio.com

Even if I am wrong and get corrected the correction will hopefully be informative and a learning experience (for me at least).

Last edited:
it does that in the whole flight.. ex if you check stick position in 00.38 and 00.52 you will clearly see that it gains altitude pretty fast without any stick input.. sticks are calibrated as well.. there was no sun at that moment to tell that the sun was "blinding" the drone.. if it was like that it should hit the brakes.. no braking.. only uncommanded altitude gain in the whole flight.. go figure whats goin on..

it does that in the whole flight.. ex if you check stick position in 00.38 and 00.52 you will clearly see that it gains altitude pretty fast without any stick input.. sticks are calibrated as well.. there was no sun at that moment to tell that the sun was "blinding" the drone.. if it was like that it should hit the brakes.. no braking.. only uncommanded altitude gain in the whole flight.. go figure whats goin on..
There's no smoking gin showing up in the data.
Does this happen every flight or just some?
You could try disabling obstacle avoidance and flying to see if that makes any difference and possibly eliminate that possibility.

How did you upload the log to air data, automatically via the App or manually from computer etc?
If manually it might be worth checking the MCDATFlightrecordsfolder to see if there are any DATs in there, you are looking for one whose name contains either FLY0102 or FLY102.
If you have that file, save it to computer and upload the DAT to a file hosting website, make the page public and post its URL here.

same thing happens even in sport mode.. stick calibration and imu calibration has been done before this thing with altitude happened.. i also can see that pc doesnt recognise the videos that i take.. it says that it needs some kind of codec and in properties i see that bitrate is around 120mbps.. went into assistant one more time.. and there is no option to downgrade the fw.. paid around 2k € for a drone that i simply cant fly.. 😈

as for log files.. ive connected the dji rc via usb to pc and then uploaded the logs to airdata.. im going to upload to phantom help and the dat file later on..

edit. phantom help link DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
dat file 2023-05-19_09-32-23_FLY102[1].DAT

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Oh that's a pity neither my CsvView nor my DatCom seem able to successfully process the DAT, ho hum.

The drop really starts around 00:43.

I wonder if @slup or @sar104 can dig anything out?
What about the DAT ?
D'oh, Homer moment big time, forgot the DAT is unreadable, sorry about that.👎
:eek:

Attachments

• 320 Mavic uncommanded descent zoomed in.png
    320 Mavic uncommanded descent zoomed in.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Its downloading but the date and timestamp are wrong, the log in post #13 has the stamp 2023-05-20_[13-46-37].............
but that doesn't matter, I had a brainless moment and forgot the DAT from the M3c is unreadable, sorry about that.

Its downloading but the date and timestamp are wrong, the log in post #13 has the stamp 2023-05-20_[13-46-37].............
but that doesn't matter, I had a brainless moment and forgot the DAT from the M3c is unreadable, sorry about that.
first .dat is the flight with uncommanded altitude gain and its from the dji rc.. second .dat its from the mavic and its with the uncommanded altitude drop.. dont know why .dat saved on my pc with the todays date but its the latest flight performed yesteday noon..

give it a try with datcon.. i can see the .csv and event stream but cant understand the cause of the gains and drops in altitude as it wasnt "thinking" that there was some kind of obstacle.. and really need some help of the experts here.. 🙏

Last edited:
first .dat is the flight with uncommanded altitude gain and its from the dji rc.. second .dat its from the mavic and its with the uncommanded altitude drop.. dont know why .dat saved on my pc with the todays date but its the latest flight performed yesteday noon..
I meant it was a mistake for me to ask you for the second DAT, it looks like the Mavic 3C DAT's are encrypted or unreadable.

I meant it was a mistake for me to ask you for the second DAT, it looks like the Mavic 3C DAT's are encrypted or unreadable.
seems that you were replying to my reply while i was editing my previous reply.. give it a try with datcon and mavics' .dat

which DatCon version? I have just 4.3 and it doesn't work for me.

Attachments

• datcon output.png
    datcon output.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 4

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman