Mavic Longevity

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by atm2626, Nov 21, 2016.

1. atm2626

atm2626 Member

Hi all,

After seeing loads of Youtube videos on the Mavic I've been wanting one more and more. I have only flown the toy drones and Parrot drones, but feel like I could do more with this due to the speed and camera controls. Ultimately, with all the sales going on for the Phantom 3 Standard, I'm starting to think paying ~$400 for a beginner one might be the better way to go in case I get bored of the new toy.

My question is, how long does the desire to film and fly last? Is the Mavic that much better? Is it that much more to fly? I know portability would make it more desirable to take and fly...but would I regret buying a Phantom 3 Standard with the limitations of GPS and distance?

Any feedback would be great!

2. Carlos de Castro

Carlos de Castro Well-Known Member

If money was no issue, I'd get the mavic. I have a phantom 3 standard. It's a great beginner drone, but you will get bored with its limitations.

3. rsbell

rsbell New Member

Just went to the Mavic from the Parrot Bebop 2. For me, if I get bored with the drone it just means I need to look for new places to fly.

4. FlyawaySOB

FlyawaySOB Member

i see no benefit or compelling reason to ever have a drone that uses wifi unless theres some unique case where you literally only want to use it up close and are 100% sure you will never want to go any farther than wifi range (which is way too limiting imo). Surely those toy drones have frustrated you on that point, no?

5. Mako79

Mako79 Well-Known Member

The microwave generation of people are all now impatient. If you stop your car at a stop sign for 1 second, the car behind beeps without hesitation even though the law states you need to wait 3 seconds.

What it all comes down to is user experience and how patient you are. If you feel positive about using it, you will use it again and again.
    Now if you got a problematic device, you will have down time and this will lead to poor user experience and you may ultimately stop using it. This is when your desire dies.
    Now the P3 Standard has it's issues with the old wifi tech and that you need to pair your device and its annoying when it doesn't want to work or when it starts dropping FPV in and out. Some people get turned off when something becomes cumbersome and hard to setup. When you pay a bit more premium, everything seems more streamline and fluid. The Mavic is this. Pop legs out, spread props, insert device and wait for go app and fly. It has sensors to stop you from crashing, therefor less down time. It has added flying aids that make filming a breeze. This is what paying the premium does.

6. Butterpuff 6

Butterpuff 6 Well-Known Member

What age group is the "microwave generation"?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

7. Mako79

Mako79 Well-Known Member

No age - It's everyone who knows what a microwave is. These are the impatient people who think it takes forever to cook or reheat food and forget how convenient a microwave oven is. When was the last time someone said, "these microwaves are fkn awesome!!!". All I hear is, "My god, a minute on the microwave is forever, hurry the **** up!!".

Daniel Richards likes this.
  8. saudio

saudio New Member

There are tons of used 3A drones on Ebay for around $500 since the Mavic has been released. It's a great drone, but it is not as portable. If you don't need portability, and you don;t want to drop a grand, get a used 3A