DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini High Altitude Operation

av8torgwc

Reactions
Specs show maximum ceiling limit of 3000m for the Mavic Mini, but this guy seems to be thinking he is having issues at elevations well below that?

Appears to be symptoms of a low battery, but he is stating/thinking he has adequate battery levels being displayed?

The Mavic Mini's max service ceiling (as defined by DJI) appears to be significantly lower than all their other drones.

Mini: 3000m - 9842ft
Spark: 4000m - 13123ft
Air: 5000m - 16404ft
Mavic 2: 6000 - 19685ft

The problem with the way that DJI defines their "max service ceiling" is that they quote an "altitude". In general aviation, they always use "density altitude" because this takes into account temperature, humidity, pressure, etc to determine how high a given aircraft can fly.

In the video, PotatoJet said he was at 7000ft. However, without knowing the temp/humidity/pressure, its hard to say if maybe his density altitude was reaching the limits of the Mini's capabilities when it wasn't fully juiced up.

I'm betting DJI has been in contact with him to investigate further. Hopefully they can find something and resolve for the final firmware update that goes out for delivery day.

As Kloggee sez...I'm thinking, by the way they were dressed, the density altitude was higher or very close to the service ceiling of the mini. It kind of lifted off in ground effect and then did the, almost certain to happen, Stalleroo or whatever you want to call that uncommanded decent into the terrain

I got to 100m straight up and lost connection 100%
I haven't tested max elevation yet due to high winds, but I did top out at 113m so far with no connection issues. Did you have the antenna folded down parallel to the ground? I'd assume with the drone straight overhead you'd maintain best signal that way.

Reactions: Emanáku
I wasn't paying attention to antennae direction since it was so close. Max height [legally is 120m] so I'm not far off anyway but no where the specs from DJI

I wasn't paying attention to antennae direction since it was so close. Max height [legally is 120m] so I'm not far off anyway but no where the specs from DJI

The drones antennas are set up to look mostly forwards so you was in its blind spot.

Imagine standing up and looking at a wall. Keep looking at the wall then try and tell me what colour your shoelaces are... You can't as they're beneath you where you can't see. Go forwards about 30m and you'll be better.

I wasn't paying attention to antennae direction since it was so close.
Look at the manual, page 29: always face the copter with the flat side of the parallel antennas, never with the tip.

I do not have the MM and I haven't flew it yet (I've ordered one and waiting for delivery...), but I have some experience with Phantom 3 Pro.
My question is whether somebody have some real & practical experience with flying in higher altitude and whether the max service ceiling is given by MM firmware or by natural physics limits (density of the air in high altitude). What I want is to use the MM (occasionally) in the mountains close to 3000 m (9840 ft) above sea level (The Austrian & Swiss Alps), for example when I reach the peak which is more than 3000 m high, will the MM start at all there?
If the service ceiling is given by the MM firmware only, is it possible to turn this limitation off?
In general, does anybody have an experience both with Phant 3 and MM to make the comparasion of these? When I am used to Phant 3 Pro, will I be disappointed or satisfied with MM? I know that MM is a bit limited and it is "entry level" drone, but I was told that except of some special features (more anti-colision sensors, more pre-programmed fly modes) it could be compared to my old P3P and will provide me almost the same service for reasonable price... I can buy also Mavic Air or Mavic 2 Pro, but I am not sure whether it is worthy to pay 2- (and more-) times more than for MM...
Normally I flew with P3P up to 2-3 km max. 120 m above the ground and filmed in full-HD 50-60 fps.

Same here, still waiting and guessing.....
I would be very much surprised if the operational height limit was "enforced" by DJI anyhow. I'd rather think that the internal height measurement system (barometric?) is not rated for such thin air, so the limit is rather physical than technical. Thin air also needs more propeller RPM to compensate, that could become another issue.
Bottom line: the MM will take off even on the peaks but flying might be a bit more tricky than usual (esp the automatic flight modes)

Waiting for someone with hands-on experience now ;)

May be stupid question: If the max service ceiling is only physical issue, may bigger propellers help to fly better / easier in high altitude...?
On one hand I don't want to be negatively surprised when MM will not fly on the peak (and losing nice pictures / footage on the top), on the other hand I don't wanto to bring heavy and bulky P3P with me as it has much higher service ceiling, but needs also bigger place to land....:confused::rolleyes:

I and a lot of others live a mile high. While I'm sure the Mini will work ok at this elevation and higher (although I probably can't use the prop guards), I wonder if it would make sense for DJI to offer high-altitude props that would make performance a little better, and to enable use of the prop guards. Would probably require an option in the software.

I live at about 8k' and although I have only flown it inside I can tell you it is quite responsive at that altitude. I will check to see how the altitude affects the flight time as so far I have had the propeller guards on so that reduces flight time quite a bit. My first battery was partially used due to he firmware upgrade so I discounted that one. The other two I got close to 20 minutes flying time, inside with the prop guards on. Today we had 50 MPH winds with blowing snow so I stayed indoors. But I will try to give an update as soon as the wind dies down. One thing is it limits your distance with the prop guards on as it detects extra payload and it says in the setting due to high elevation braking will be increased. The manual says 3k meters is the operating ceiling but also says to be careful when flying above 3k meters as battery life and performance could be affected. I plan to fly it around a number of our 12-14k peaks and anticipate no problems other than lower performance due to the thinner air.

I live at about 8k' and although I have only flown it inside I can tell you it is quite responsive at that altitude. I will check to see how the altitude affects the flight time as so far I have had the propeller guards on so that reduces flight time quite a bit. My first battery was partially used due to he firmware upgrade so I discounted that one. The other two I got close to 20 minutes flying time, inside with the prop guards on. Today we had 50 MPH winds with blowing snow so I stayed indoors. But I will try to give an update as soon as the wind dies down. One thing is it limits your distance with the prop guards on as it detects extra payload and it says in the setting due to high elevation braking will be increased. The manual says 3k meters is the operating ceiling but also says to be careful when flying above 3k meters as battery life and performance could be affected. I plan to fly it around a number of our 12-14k peaks and anticipate no problems other than lower performance due to the thinner air.
Looking forward to your reports. I live in Colorado and don't plan on much 13,000 ft flying, but do plan on 10,000 to 12,000 ft.

Please do post your results. I will be anxiously awaiting your feedback. One of the primary reasons I want the Mini is for backpacking. Where I go, in the high Sierra, ranges from 9,000 to 12,000’. Im very interested to hear whether the Mini will be capable of flying at those altitudes.

I'm a complete rookie so take my advice with a bucket full of grains of salt, but I'm certain I read that orienting the flat, long edge of the antennas to be facing the drone improves reception markedly, along with having the antennas parallel with each other.
you are absolutely right

Sometimes reading the manual can help tremendously to replace assumptions with knowledge...... ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure