DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Yaw Issue Is A Deal Breaker For Me!!

Must say i understand what mrreddog is talking about. I am new to drones, but from the very first flight seemed that yaw commands are a bit laggy and exactly that overshooting subject was happening. Thought it has to be that way with quads, but now, seeing how spark and pro are precise, looks like mini is made that way on purpose. Maybe battery life is longer without braking? Anyway, DJI could change it with new firmware if they want. Is it a deal breaker for me? No. I am geting used to it, but would love to have it yawing precise.
All other DJI Drones before the Mini reacted with that yaw braking, thats my problem. Im used to controlling them all with same flying method, Mini is different enough that the yaw is dificult to precisely control in comparison to ALL other DJI Drones, Thats all, Im dissipointed, but really not that big of a deal, I just wont own one, No biggy...
And not sure why but I use dedicated devices for my planes & drones, but my drone phone that works with Mavic 1, 2 Air, Spark, Phantom, has 8 core 64bit architecture, but has has android 7-32bit, so I'm not sure what the deal is there, but it wont run Fly App??

Last edited:
Newer? 64 bit phones have been around since 2013! Support for 32 bit has to be dropped at some point. Surely 7 years is enough?
Yeah, so lets do it now with a beginner drone with a minimalist app? Makes sense?
I may sound like I'm bashing, but I'm not. I'm just very passionate about the very well known locked in feel DJI engineers build into all their drones, Mini doesn't have it. So it bums me out..
Their is a Cinematic mode in all other Mavics, and a Tripod mode. But they are calling Tripod mode, Cinematic mode??

Last edited:
All other DJI Drones before the Mini reacted with that yaw braking, thats my problem. Im used to controlling them all with same flying method, Mini is different enough that the yaw is dificult to precisely control in comparison to ALL other DJI Drones, Thats all, Im dissipointed, but really not that big of a deal, I just wont own one, No biggy...
And not sure why but I use dedicated devices for my planes & drones, but my drone phone that works with Mavic 1, 2 Air, Spark, Phantom, has 8 core 64bit architecture, but has has android 7-32bit, so I'm not sure what the deal is there, but it wont run Fly App??
Take a look at this from the sidelines for a moment. You will almost certainly recall large numbers all around the forums pointing the finger at DJI and blaming them for the unfortunate consequence of performing a CSC in flight. This was only a drama for the uninitiated- it wasn’t an issue for experienced flyers for a simple reason. The stick combinations providing for CSC activation just don’t eventuate in normal operation.

Would you complain to a vehicle maker because you didn’t like the performance when you released the clutch by letting your foot slide off it or the acceleration and braking when you applied maximum deflection to to pedals as fast and hard as you count operate them?

Your video comparing the mini response to the commanded rudder operation is not representative of how the drone may reasonably be expected to be operated. The only time you may see sticks slammed around like that is in hard 3D manoeuvres- certainly not what DJI had in mind for the mini.

The mini doesn’t meet your expectations of value and performance. Fair enough. Does it perform reasonably for where it sits in the model range and are the compromises and performance characteristics engineered to suit the needs of most who would buy it? Can you point to a competing product that delivers a better cost/feature/performance offering is the real question. I suspect the answer is no.

Reactions: Nd33
I realize the log was flown in a manner to best highlight my side of the issue. but even at slower speeds trying to follow a moving snowmobile, my turns are always over steering.. as soon as @sar104 creats a yaw chart for the Spark file I posted, and the other user that believes Mini had Yaw braking on 1st firmware gets his new, older mini and can confirm or deny, I will let this thread die and fall off. To be honest, I am very surprised more users are ok with this. But I own many DJI drones and mean no Ill will with this thread, Its just my personal experience. Ill just sit the Mini out and catch the M3 when ready, no big deal. But I do appreciate everyone that has participated in this thread, Thanks to all that responded...

Testing Mavic Mini to get Crisp Yaw like it should of came with by default. This was 1st sugested by @appleguy010 , so I gave it a try, sure enough, Proper Yaw with No Lag and Quick Braking. The video was difficult to do by myself, in the morning I will get my wife to film so I can fly.

I realize the log was flown in a manner to best highlight my side of the issue. but even at slower speeds trying to follow a moving snowmobile, my turns are always over steering.. as soon as @sar104 creats a yaw chart for the Spark file I posted, and the other user that believes Mini had Yaw braking on 1st firmware gets his new, older mini and can confirm or deny, I will let this thread die and fall off. To be honest, I am very surprised more users are ok with this. But I own many DJI drones and mean no Ill will with this thread, Its just my personal experience. Ill just sit the Mini out and catch the M3 when ready, no big deal. But I do appreciate everyone that has participated in this thread, Thanks to all that responded...

The gains appear to be slightly higher but the lag is very similar:

spark_yaw_rate.png

Yaw_1.png

Testing Mavic Mini to get Crisp Yaw like it should of came with by default. This was 1st sugested by @appleguy010 , so I gave it a try, sure enough, Proper Yaw with No Lag and Quick Braking. The video was difficult to do by myself, in the morning I will get my wife to film so I can fly.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-01-15_[23-26-05].txt
    78.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
This log is from this quick flight, after I stopped filming, I had to hold it to the floor and hit the land button, so the end readings are probably crazy,,,, LOG IS IN POST ABOVE.

Last edited:
This log is from this quick flight, after I stopped filming, I had to lod it to the floor and hit the land button, so the end readings are probably crazy,,,, LOG IS IN POST ABOVE.

Quicker and shorter stick inputs, higher gains as shown by the higher yaw rates. Lag is slightly down.

Mini_yaw_2.png

I could only do quick stabs at the Yaw, tough trying to film, n fly inside the house with no GPS or VPS sensors...
So why would ATTI mode change the yaw rates??

Its Definitely the Yaw I would like to see in standard configuration, no lag feeling and no overshoot, any Ideas why ???

I could only do quick stabs at the Yaw, tough trying to film, n fly inside the house with no GPS or VPS sensors...
So why would ATTI mode change the yaw rates??

ATTI mode has separate parameters defined in the firmware. Which ones are different, and why, is a question for DJI.

So why do the red lines make it all the way to top and bottom while stick is at full yaw??? But not in other graph?? is that the quick reaction of the mine following black stick command??

So why do the red lines make it all the way to top and bottom while stick is at full yaw??? But not in other graph?? is that the quick reaction of the mine following black stick command??

That was my point - that the yaw rates (as indicated by the red trace) are higher - up around 130°/s. That presumably means that those gains are set higher.

I tried once and couldn't get in with modded assistant 2 v1.1.2, but Ive been having other usb issues on this laptop?

@mrreddog When I first commented on your post I haven't tried to check the yaw overshoot. But I tried earlier with prop guards attached. The yaw is not overshooting. It breaks as I stop pushing stick and the stop is crisp.

I have not tried without propguards yet. Does your mini still overshoot with prop guards on?

Very interesting, I have not tried with the prop guards, Thanks for the tip, I will give em a try..

Yeah, so lets do it now with a beginner drone with a minimalist app? Makes sense?

It does to me. New drone with a new app, why not? Would you rather they did something like switch the existing DJI Go app over to 64 bit only and cut off existing users?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111