DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Platinum Props on a Mavic Pro Noise Test

Mako79

Reactions
It will definitely make the Mavic Pro quieter.
Looks like its a combination of motors and props to achieve the "60%" drop in noise.
Would like to see an battery test with the 8331 props on the Mavic Pro to test efficiency.
*not my vid* but enjoy.

sounds like the original mavic has a higher rpm on the motors then the platinum pro.

only one way to find out..... MAVIC RACE!

Reactions: Montoyee
I have both the Pro and the platinum. Took the props off both and turned the motors on. They both sound the same. I would say the props are responsible for any decrease in noise. There was another thread started about this same subject but some lady named bunny poo shut it down. Something about too many threads already exist. I could not find them. Actually this forum has not been around long enough to have too many of anything.
They are pretty sensitive over at the forum.dji.com. I think your post may have had a negative connotations and could impact their Platinum sales. Ie, if someone proves the that the motors makes no difference in noise reduction and that all noise reduction is made by the $10 props, then no one will pay the premium for a 'decal' upgrade.

Further evidence - no one at DJI did a prop swap demo. Its like they got the hush-hush memo. In all the youtube clips, there was always a Pro and a Platinum craft next to each other and no one swapped the blades over to show a new party trick.

Look at the Quick shots modes that were made exclusively with the spark. They have only just added those modes to Mavic so they can keep sales up for the spark. DJI could have made it available to the Mavic from Day1. DJI has rather become like Apple in their marketing strategies. I am sure they have enough tech to launch the Mavic 2 but decided to hold back as they can still scrape the bottom of the barrel for more sales.

Last edited:
This vid seems to have tested the db difference quite scientifically, much more so than just listening by ear. I would take it that the motors on the Platinum are either not the same motor, or the new ESC has made a big difference to their running volume somehow.
Either way, looks like maybe only a 30% sound drop from the props alone. (completely unmathematical guess by me)

They are pretty sensitive over at the forum.dji.com. I think your post may have had a negative connotations and could impact their Platinum sales. Ie, if someone proves the that the motors makes no difference in noise reduction and that all noise reduction is made by the $10 props, then no one will pay the premium for a 'decal' upgrade.

Further evidence - no one at DJI did a prop swap demo. Its like they got the hush-hush memo. In all the youtube clips, there was always a Pro and a Platinum craft next to each other and no one swapped the blades over to show a new party trick.

Look at the Quick shots modes that were made exclusively with the spark. They have only just added those modes to Mavic so they can keep sales up for the spark. DJI could have made it available to the Mavic from Day1. DJI has rather become like Apple in their marketing strategies. I am sure they have enough tech to launch the Mavic 2 but decided to hold back as they can still scrap the bottom of the barrel for more sales.

I think DJI would love to hear they are being like Apple. From what I observed with their marketing, packaging, and selling in Apple stores, not to mention their own flagship stores look just like Apple stores, they have been working hard to be like apple.

On Apple, I just loved it when Apple added the feature of being able to sketch pictures in the Notes app, but said my slightly out-of-date iPad 3 which was marketed as being the best 3D gaming tablet of it's time, didn't have enough computing power to handle it... lol

Last edited:
From the video I gathered two things, it seems like about half the noise reduction is the props and the other half from the motors or ESC.

Either way I have no idea why DJI would maintain both products. If your going to spend $1000 you probably wont have a problem finding $1100. I would bet 95% of new consumers will go with the Platinum.

Conversely the $100 worth of "improvements" is not going to make many existing owners dump their existing Mavic. I personally think this is just a slick way for DJI to up the price. I doubt that the Platinum cost them anymore money to manufacturer than the Mavic Pro, so in the end it's really all extra gravy in their pockets.

Rob

Reactions: studentbhakti
Not to be rude , but who really cares? Realistically, a very minimal improvement in perfect conditions, but sounds like a scam!
No doubt just a money grab "scam", but every claim about any such "improvements" must be tested thoroughly and discussed at great length in as many threads and forums as possible. What else are we gonna do when we're not flying? ;)

From the video I gathered two things, it seems like about half the noise reduction is the props and the other half from the motors or ESC.

Either way I have no idea why DJI would maintain both products. If your going to spend $1000 you probably wont have a problem finding $1100. I would bet 95% of new consumers will go with the Platinum.

Conversely the $100 worth of "improvements" is not going to make many existing owners dump their existing Mavic. I personally think this is just a slick way for DJI to up the price. I doubt that the Platinum cost them anymore money to manufacturer than the Mavic Pro, so in the end it's really all extra gravy in their pockets.

Rob
Supposedly the new mavic fixes the 1080p high FPS modes too. In hindsight, if I would have known, I would have waited and grabbed the plat.

The Platinum is just a waypoint to the next big thing. I imagine there will be a new craft after the holidays.

I will order a set of props. The Mavic is not loud in comparison to other drones. People probably don't hear it at 400 feet. The prop design may even add a little extra flight time on the Mavic Pro.

What FW will the platinum be on? Will we be able to stay in control of our firmware to our liking with " platinum" or is this another way of phasing out the rebel unlocked Mavics out there which are not limited by DJI rules anymore?

Reactions: PharmAir
I will order a set of props. The Mavic is not loud in comparison to other drones. People probably don't hear it at 400 feet. The prop design may even add a little extra flight time on the Mavic Pro.

People definitely hear it at 400ft/120m .. I was flying mine at that height the other day -- at quite slow speeds -- and some walkers I was passing over stopped, looked around and pointed at it (they must have had excellent eyesight, I can only see it at that height if I know where it is!). But it is definitely audible.

It will definitely make the Mavic Pro quieter.
Looks like its a combination of motors and props to achieve the "60%" drop in noise.
Would like to see an battery test with the 8331 props on the Mavic Pro to test efficiency.
*not my vid* but enjoy.
Thanks for posting this video I saw it last night on YouTube very good video that guy does a lot of good one's

If anyone is interested in purchasing the Mavic platinum props, they are available here in the DJI Store.

This shows a far more believable test and shows approx a 1dbm reduction in noise with the mavic and platinum props vs a measured 4db with the platinum. Not a fully controlled test but perfectly believable results.

I have no idea why DJI would maintain both products. If your going to spend $1000 you probably wont have a problem finding $1100. I would bet 95% of new consumers will go with the Platinum.

I'm new to DJI products so I don't know much about their product pricing history. That being said, it seems to me like a pretty smart strategy to release the updated product and a higher price point. Think about it; they roll out the Platinum at the same price and suddenly there is a whole lot of old stock out there that nobody can move without discounting. Introducing the new bird at a higher price means they don't have to run a fire sale to clear out the warehouse. When nothing is left but Platinums, they can drop the price $100 and probably see a nice bump in sales when they do. There's no downside for DJI.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa