DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Preventive Maintenance

@Thunderdrones I agree wholeheartedly with just about everything you have just said, except for the fact that DJI does not recommend regularly (e.g. every 20 flights or so) deep cycling your flight batteries, instead once every three months or so. I'm not a DJI battery expert but DJI are, and I'm just quoting their specific advice on this matter. And like all advice, it's a gift; it's up to you whether you take it ;)

What if you dont fly at all during those 3 months? What if you fly every day during those 3 months? Same rules apply? Not a chance. For safety's sake, deep cycling is a good policy if your battery is being used alot.

I could be wrong but I believe their advice to recharge/discharge every three months is for batteries that are in storage, as you know all batteries self-discharge, this, I believe, is to ensure they don't discharge too much whilst being unused.

Reactions: Former Member
And like all advice, it's a gift; it's up to you whether you take it

I have learned to listen to DJI's advice, but common sense comes first. You can call DJI 3 times and get 3 different answers. They regularly make changes to their owners manuals to include or exclude previous statements based on customer comments and/or complaints about misstatements. They can add warnings if a specific part or firmware is causing problems, but never has there been a recall of a single DJI product. Flyaways? Your problem, they just fix it in the next firmware. Battery failure caused a crash? You need to prove it.

Reactions: tictag
You have owned your Mavic for 1 year and have never once taken the props off? Do you check each prop is tight before you take off?

Yes, Iv put low noise props on and did not like, I purchased a bulletproof/waterproof case and just fold up and fly everyday except when it’s raining, and go through 3 batts , still not 1 nic on any blades, do no reason to take off props

Yes, Iv put low noise props on and did not like, I purchased a bulletproof/waterproof case and just fold up and fly everyday except when it’s raining, and go through 3 batts , still not 1 nic on any blades, do no reason to take off props

DJI_0597.jpgImage1522989744.114715.jpg

I land @ ~ 30%, then store my batteries. Then fully charge before I fly. I figure it's better than half charging before storing. I fly at least once a week.
I changed my first batt to self-discharge after 3 days, and forgot to do that on my other two. Unfortunately, I crashed with 1st batt, so I had 2 batteries at 100% for a few days. One was over 10 days, as I pressed the power button after 3 days to see if it self-discharged, so that extended it by another 10 days. :(
As for deep cycle, AirData says 8%, so far only done 1 deep cycle on each battery.
As for props, I do have to clean and check for bug impacts.

Reactions: Former Member
This is the issue with off-the-shelf products like the Mavic. Preventive maintenance is rather limited as you for one can't really get under the hood of the thing, and second, even if you did, there isn't much you can do.

The problem with a multirotor is that basically every single component is a single-point-of-failure. Meaning, that if you lose a blade on a prop, you crash. Lose an ESC, you crash, lose a motor.. you get the picture. But there isn't much you can really do for these things, that you aren't doing already. You're checking your props, which is a good thing - since props are probably the most common failure mode on the aircraft. But you can't diagnose your ESCs, you can't check the main board, and checking the motors is limited to checking if they spin smoothly.

The story is completely different with a fixed-wing, where much of the components are mechanical.

But however, there are a few things I do - but these are minor. Mostly, they're about keeping the electronics from failing, which would most likely be from two things; moisture and vibration.

-In general, keep the thing clean. Wipe it down if it gets dirty.
-Get some canned air and blow it clean carefully. Keep dirt out of the swing arm joint. Get the dirt out of the innards and keep the air intake (in the front, behind the gimbal/camera assembly) clean also.
-Don't get it wet (duh :) )
-Don't fly in the fog / clouds
-Always have spare props nearby
-Change the props out of you notice any notches in them. This is for two reasons. One being that a notch can turn into a crack during fatigue loading, two being that a prop out of balance will send vibrations through the motor (wearing the shaft/housing fit or bearing, if there's one) and into the frame - and finally, into the electronics. Failure of a solder joint will not look good for the remaining aircraft.
-Batteries: Keep an eye on the longevity of your batteries. How many cycles they've had and how they're doing with regards to flight time. Unless you've been really cruel to them, they will wear out gradually. This is fine, completely normal for a Li-Ion battery. Hoever, as they get worn out, they will typically get voltage sag. This means that when unloaded (or during light load) the battery will display a 'normal' voltage. However, if your flight style changes (or you fly into headwind, going home again), the voltage will drop drastrically. This can cause confusion as your indicated remaining battery percentage is calculated from the voltage. So if you fly out and turn back around at 60% battery, you could see a 20% drop after heading into head wind. I guess the general advise is to keep focus on how used your batteries are - and planning your flying accordingly - just in case.

BR Peter
Do I really need to check my props if I have never had any crashes? I thought that once the prop was fully locked in there would be no reason to check to see if the prop was properly seated. I just started flying my Mavic about 4 weeks ago so I'm always looking for tips to safeguard my drone.

Do I really need to check my props if I have never had any crashes? I thought that once the prop was fully locked in there would be no reason to check to see if the prop was properly seated. I just started flying my Mavic about 4 weeks ago so I'm always looking for tips to safeguard my drone.

The 2 main causes for Mavic crashes, other than crashing it into something, are

1) battery was not properly seated

2) Prop spun off

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Well it's of course optional. But as Thunderdrones states, losing props to either bad seating or cracked blades are popular failure modes. It's up to you of course.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joel_du05