DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Camera Zoom

realdeal176

Reactions
Finally received my Mavic Pro from Best Buy and I love it. This my my first drone and I have to say DJI designed this drone to basically fly itself. My question is when flying and recording how do I change the camera from 4k to 2.7 so I can zoom in. I am still flying in beginner mode if this help.

My assumption is you cannot change "while" you are recording. But you click the icon just below the record button, open settings and select which frame rate/ image size to shoot in. Dig around through those settings as I also had a hard time finding it initially.

Reactions: Dmbrody
You can change the resolution, but that will not have any zoom-in effect. But zoom is, I believe, the default assignment for the small joystick button on the lower right front of the controller. If you push that left or right, it should zoom in or out. I have no idea through how that affects the image quality, never tried it.

Hi folks
I do have the answer of you question about the zoom in out

You need to get into Video size.

If it is in video or camera mode you need to be in minimum 2720x1530 size
and the zoom get till 2x zooming

So if this helps
Have good flights

@Squamer gave you the right answer about how to switch resolutions.

Now regarding the zoom feature, just keep in mind that it's a *digital* zoom. In other words, it just crops in on the image, effectively reducing resolution (and image quality). Personally I don't even call it "digital zoom." I prefer "fake and crappy looking zoom."

A real zoom is optical, meaning the lens mechanically adjusts to zoom in and you do not lose resolution at all.

Mavics digital zoom is fine for inspection work, or just generally messing around and having fun, but not if you want the best looking footage. In that case you'd be better off just flying closer to the subject.

By the way, once you load your videos onto your computer, you can "zoom" in by cropping the video. It's the same thing the Mavic does in flight.

Last edited:
Thanks for more explanations about the non mechanical zoom.

Reactions: LETHL
I have my zoom set up on the "magic stick" (the 5D button) for: push forward = zoom in, pull back = zoom out. I think the defaults are right and left to zoom... which made no sense to me...

I really wish the zoom was smooth, and not just notching from one level to the next. As noted above digital zoom has lots of disadvantages, but for inspection work it does come in handy.

in 2.7k I just did a zoom and the gimbal went crazy and stop filming , I did a reset and IMU cal but still doing it . It seems to work fine in 1080 ???

I've done plenty of digital zooming while filming in 2.7K- no issues encountered so far.

The digital zoom is not working at all. I have changed to 2.7k and even lower resolution but I can't zoom in. I have checked the "magic stick" (the 5D button) then changed push forward = zoom in, pull back = zoom out, but does not work either way.
Is there something else I have to do?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan