DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic pro car charger???

genesimmons

Reactions
hi all i decided to try the car charger the other day as i was going out for the day far from any power and i fugured after i used 1st battery i would put it on the charger and it would be done by the time i used up the other 2, so i put it on and plugged it to my ciggerate lighter and all seemed good, i flew 2nd battery and went to check status of the 1st, it was off no lights at all, thought wow is it done already, checked it nope only 1 bar, unlugged cig and tried again, came on for a few sec then shut off, it only seemd to charge if i started my truck, does the charger need a certain voltage only? if it senses less than what it requires it wil shut off? while running and driving it sharged fine but wouldnt while not running, any one elese have that issue

It charges fine powered by my old 12V jump starter though. Saves me the trouble of leaving the engine running.

does the charger need a certain voltage only
as long as it's close to or above 12V. Often a car battery falls to 11,5V after engine shut down. A running car dynamo usually provides 13V or more.

i also drive a diesel truck and its cold right now so when i start it the grid heaters come on and off on a cycle for awile and they draw the batteries down a lot, i noticed when i started my truck the dji charger would go on and off with the heaters too haha, i guess its quite sensitive, ill bring the 120v charger and use a cig lighter to 120v adapter

hi all i decided to try the car charger the other day as i was going out for the day far from any power and i fugured after i used 1st battery i would put it on the charger and it would be done by the time i used up the other 2, so i put it on and plugged it to my ciggerate lighter and all seemed good, i flew 2nd battery and went to check status of the 1st, it was off no lights at all, thought wow is it done already, checked it nope only 1 bar, unlugged cig and tried again, came on for a few sec then shut off, it only seemd to charge if i started my truck, does the charger need a certain voltage only? if it senses less than what it requires it wil shut off? while running and driving it sharged fine but wouldnt while not running, any one elese have that issue
I found that out the hard way myself lol. gotta be running hat engine

Anybody try a power inverter that goes directly off the battery itself?

Yes, it works like a champ. 750 is a bit of overkill but it might give me some flexibility. The difference in price is minimal. I understand a 300w charger is the minimum.

Don't fool yourself if you are out, at some time you will have to charge at least one battery, your RC and your display. The Blue charger will charge 3 batteries and two USB output jacks all at the same time.

If you will only be flying an occasional second flight, get another battery. Otherwise the ability to rapidly charge in the outdoor is a small price to pay.

Larry

If you can handle the worst case, the rest is a piece of cake.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
Just remember to let the battery cool down before you put it on any of these chargers. With a three battery rotation, you can use one, cool one, and charge one on a single charger. That will keep you in power and preserve the battery life a bit better.

Reactions: genesimmons
This is the jumpstarter I use. I bougt it quite cheap many years ago. When it's charged overnight it supplies enough Volts for multiple charges in the field, and it even jumpstarts your car or outboard motor after that (I had the pleasure of finding that out once). Very bright work light on it as well. It provides 3, 6, 9 and 12V. Proved to be a great solution that has additional benefits in the field (and on the boat) over just charging Mavic batteries.
IMG_20180318_115854.jpg

Reactions: genesimmons
Fell into this trap myself, the DJI Car Charger has a 'convenience feature' that is supposed to prevent the charger from flattening the car battery beyond its ability to start the car - read the manual, it is 12.3V. I know this because I bought a 3 cell 24AH LiPo battery pack with a 12V car adapter output - when fully charged (3 x 4.2V = 12.6V), it runs the charger fine, as soon as it drops to <12.3V the charger bums out :(

My solution was to use a simple DC-DC boost converter which outputs a regulated variable voltage based on pretty much any input BUT it is yet another device I have to bring with me so not ideal. I'm currently um'ing and ar'ing about buying one of the DroneMAX products, which can charge drone batteries without the need for the car charger. Not sure yet.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr