DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Compass Error (Magnetic Interference when camera facing down)

CandyMan_ZA

Reactions
Some may recall my previous post where a Black Eagle took my MP out. I have now replaced it. I have however been experiencing intermittent Compass Errors due to Magnetic Interference. All software is up to date. So, I did some testing just now, while calibrating the compass in a big open field I had no issues whatsoever. So I assumed my new MP was just more sensitive than my previous one
1f914.png
I was enjoying the flying so made the most of the opportunity. All of a sudden I received the "Magnetic Interference" warning. I realized that I had just pointed the camera down. I turned the camera up and it went away. Turning the camera full down again and I received the warning. So, my conclusion is that this new model has a design flaw and the front compass is too close to the camera and gimbal
1f914.png

Check out the sequence of screenshots. First with camera facing me no issues whatsoever, but as soon as I point the camera down I get Compass error. I am not prepared to fly with this issue.
This is the screen I got while flying at my home last night.
Dropbox - Screenshot_20180412-183012.png
Then while testing it at my work in a field, away from any metal objects I had no issues calibrating the compass nor any errors while flying... until
Dropbox - Screenshot_20180413-114824.png
until I pointed t he camera down :eek:
Dropbox - Screenshot_20180413-115035.png
As you can see the compass was not very happy o_O
Dropbox - Screenshot_20180413-115059.png
Dropbox - Screenshot_20180413-115204.png

I will be taking it back to the shop where I bought it this afternoon, it is only 5 days old. Hopefully there is a software fix for it. Of maybe this one was built on a Monday :rolleyes:

Reactions: Armand V Cpt
The DJI shop exchanged my MP (and RC). The replacement does exactly the same thing o_O

Could you record a video that starts before takeoff. Then fly to a spot and start moving the camera up and down. Then provide us with the video and flight records. You can download flight records using DJI Assistant 2. Here's a short video explaining the process.
Enable captions

We can then syncronize the video and the flight records, and see if in deed the compass values changes with camera angle. Or is it some other sensor that is just causing a compass error message.

Could you record a video that starts before takeoff. Then fly to a spot and start moving the camera up and down. Then provide us with the video and flight records. You can download flight records using DJI Assistant 2. Here's a short video explaining the process.
Enable captions

We can then syncronize the video and the flight records, and see if in deed the compass values changes with camera angle. Or is it some other sensor that is just causing a compass error message.

Hi Ekto

Unfortunately I don't have the Mavic Pro anymore. The shop have kept it (in fact both new units) and have loaned me a Mavic Air in the meantime. I do have the flight records cached on my phone with a video cache (with audio) that I could provide?

Kevin

Hi Ekto

Unfortunately I don't have the Mavic Pro anymore. The shop have kept it (in fact both new units) and have loaned me a Mavic Air in the meantime. I do have the flight records cached on my phone with a video cache (with audio) that I could provide?

Kevin
I have no experience working with flight records that the phone has. But more experienced users could see if theres something. What I would expect to see, is that when the camera moves down, some sensor data would start to drift or jump. Then it would be easy to confirm your theory.

I made you a video :cool:
Well the case is pretty clear. All tough with logs, we could verify that it is the compass. sometimes heading errors, like a yaw error, is indicated as a compass error, while the error could also be in gyros or accelerometers. But more experienced users can tell, if in such case the calibration screen would look like that or not.

Also, you ware pretty fast with those turns. I like to spend something like 10 seconds to make a revolution. But I don’t know if it makes any difference.

Reactions: KeithS
I received a reply from DJI Support, albeit not very helpful :confused:

Lucia Li (Support)
Apr 19, 21:08 CST
Dear Kevin,
Thank you for your update.
We do apologize for the delayed response to your email.
If the issue still persist after troubleshooting, we are not recommend you to fight your drone. We kindly advise you send it for checking and service.
Seeing you are from South Africa, to make the case more easier, we suggest you send the unit to the nearest repair center.
*contact details removed*
Any new progress or any further assistance you need, please let us know. We will do our best to assist you.
Thank you, and have a great day!
Best Regards,
Lucia
DJI Technical Support

I received a reply from DJI Support, albeit not very helpful :confused:

Lucia Li (Support)
Apr 19, 21:08 CST
Dear Kevin,
Thank you for your update.
We do apologize for the delayed response to your email.
If the issue still persist after troubleshooting, we are not recommend you to fight your drone. We kindly advise you send it for checking and service.
Seeing you are from South Africa, to make the case more easier, we suggest you send the unit to the nearest repair center.
*contact details removed*
Any new progress or any further assistance you need, please let us know. We will do our best to assist you.
Thank you, and have a great day!
Best Regards,
Lucia
DJI Technical Support

Cool, go for it. My drone left about a week ago, and I just got a response that they received it. I don’t think there is much else to do. And it’s good that you documented this issue.

Anybody figure out what is causing the magnetic interference issue yet? Is it the gimball or the gps sensor? Some people were talking about using a demagnetizer that fixed the issue. Anybody here have any experience with demagnetizing their mavic pro?

Enable captions

I have the EXACT same problem.... I have done many experiments and made several videos showing this.... As I live in Mexico and dont want to be without my drone for weeks, I am flying aware of my handicap and can only look down for short periods of time. I feel confident that the magnetic interference is rectified when I bring the gimbal back up. I am hoping and waiting for a firmware fix. I dont know whatever happened to Kevin 36 or Candyman_ZA's drones.... I know DJI just says... send it in... Is this a wide spread problem or just a couple of us?

Last edited:
I strongly recomend sending the unit for repair. I know it will take some weeks, but then you get a fixed and fully working copter back. Without the fix, I would had not flown so many flights. Bite the bullet.

I strongly recomend sending the unit for repair. I know it will take some weeks, but then you get a fixed and fully working copter back. Without the fix, I would had not flown so many flights. Bite the bullet.

Thank you for your reply and concern, I cannot see my post and thought it had not posted. Apparently my post showed up, but I cannot see it.... am posting this to see what happened.

I would like to know what happened to the other 2 guys who sent thier's in. Did they get repaired? replaced? or did DJI say... nothing is wrong.... that is my real fear... have it gone for a couple weeks for nothing.

similar to taking the car to a repair shop for an intermitten problem... the problem wont show up when the mechanic is checking.

Thank you for your reply and concern, I cannot see my post and thought it had not posted. Apparently my post showed up, but I cannot see it.... am posting this to see what happened.

I would like to know what happened to the other 2 guys who sent thier's in. Did they get repaired? replaced? or did DJI say... nothing is wrong.... that is my real fear... have it gone for a couple weeks for nothing.

similar to taking the car to a repair shop for an intermitten problem... the problem wont show up when the mechanic is checking.

I had the same fear. That’s why I made a paper that had screenshots from my findings. It also indicated what log files had erroneous data.

I don’t think that they actually made any test flights, since the error could be seen from the logs. It’s much more effective to change a cheap part, than have a worker fly the thing around. And I’m pretty sure that DJI doesn’t want to send the unit back, if it’s not fixed. So it’s again better to change a cheap part, than to risk it.

Make short test flights and check the logs. Then contact DJI and explain the issue.

My new mavic pro was having the same problem. I solved the problem by passing a demagnetizer on the gimbal.

hmmm never even knew such an item exists... looked on youtube "how to demagnetize" it said, buy a demagnetizer. Is that what you did? or is there some other home remedy? I saw one guy say to put in front of color tv a deguaze... I am afraid to demagnetize too much. Can you explain a little more please?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardomavic