DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Night Shots (Singapore Skyline)

flumpet

Reactions
DJI Mavic Night Shots of Singapore Skyline. Taken at ISO 400 and 1/4s exposure. Raw files edited in Lightroom CC.

Fullerton Hotel and One Fullerton

DJI_0045.jpg

Marina Bay Sands Hotel

DJI_0031.jpg

The Promontory(Noise in mid-tones and shadows)

DJI_0034.jpg

Fullerton Bay Hotel

DJI_0033.jpg

All shots taken at or less than 61m/200ft in accordance to Singapore's CAAS Regulations

Last edited:
Nice! I worked on the design of the buildings on the right in your picture of The Promontory - Sail at Marina Bay.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Nice! I worked on the design of the buildings on the right in your picture of The Promontory - Sail at Marina Bay.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
That's awesome. I've been to the sail for a BBQ once. My friend has since sold her condo unit there. It offers awesome views of Marina bay though. Truly a million dollar view!

A bit off topic but since it seems to be going in here...

How do I know which to set first? White balance? Iso? Aperture etc.

Thanks in advance.

A bit off topic but since it seems to be going in here...

How do I know which to set first? White balance? Iso? Aperture etc.

Thanks in advance.

Aperture is fixed at 2.2 so there isn't much you can do. Shoot in raw so you don't have to worry about white balance. Adjust it in post to your liking.

As for ISO. Obviously if you can get to as close to the lowest native ISO the better. However for dark conditions you will most certainly need to bump it up a bit. Depending on the wind conditions, you could shoot at low ISO but longer shutter, or higher ISO and faster shutter. It is a setting that you have to experiment on the spot. There isn't any fixed rule.

I played around the settings and found that ISO 400 and 1/4s gave me an acceptable exposure and sharp image. So that was my setting for this particular situation

Reactions: Alba Flyer and TJT
Very nice photographs indeed. Congratulations!
I would like to know what you're saying about the vignette. I have just received my Mavic and played a little bit with it, taking photos in raw, but noticed quite strong vignetting. Did you fight that in lightroom?
kind regards, roe

Very nice photographs indeed. Congratulations!
I would like to know what you're saying about the vignette. I have just received my Mavic and played a little bit with it, taking photos in raw, but noticed quite strong vignetting. Did you fight that in lightroom?
kind regards, roe
No I didn't correct for vignette. It seems pretty acceptable to me.

Aperture is fixed at 2.2 so there isn't much you can do. Shoot in raw so you don't have to worry about white balance. Adjust it in post to your liking.

As for ISO. Obviously if you can get to as close to the lowest native ISO the better. However for dark conditions you will most certainly need to bump it up a bit. Depending on the wind conditions, you could shoot at low ISO but longer shutter, or higher ISO and faster shutter. It is a setting that you have to experiment on the spot. There isn't any fixed rule.

I played around the settings and found that ISO 400 and 1/4s gave me an acceptable exposure and sharp image. So that was my setting for this particular situation
Can you explain the relationship between raw and white balance?

Sent from my SM-G900I using MavicPilots mobile app

I believe white balance won't matter when shooting raw images
I was able to discern as much from the above. I was wondering why though. I really know nothing about RAW photos, or editing them for that matter.

I was able to discern as much from the above. I was wondering why though. I really know nothing about RAW photos, or editing them for that matter.
When u take a picture, your camera's sensor records the "picture" in the form of pure energy/information. The sensor of your camera is arranged in a Bayer array(mostly) made up of pixel that are sensitive to red/green/blue. The camera's software is able to figure out the image by clever interpolation of the information gathered by the pixels. The camera doesn't see the photo per se, it merely records the pure light information and through software determine by man, shows you a "photo" on your LCD screen that looks like the scene you just shot(obviously). Usually when we shoot in JPEG, the camer works on certain parameters to determine how the final picture looks like. It doesn't know if it's right or wrong. So if you choose the wrong white balance, it will produce a photo that looks wrong to you, but is right to the camera because that is the instruction you gave it.

By shooting in raw and editing the raw file, you are taking the decision making into your hands. You are editing the pure information that is available and creating the photo you deem correct or beautiful. Raw contains much more information than JPEG, with the majority of information discarded once the picture has been "created" by the camera's software.

Imagine you have the raw materials to build a house, you can build it any way you like. Rather then someone built the house for you and then you change it from there, you can change it but you can't change much.

Beautiful shots! Do you find you are getting more dynamic range in raw as well? Its the primary reason I shoot in raw with my dslr.

Beautiful shots! Do you find you are getting more dynamic range in raw as well? Its the primary reason I shoot in raw with my dslr.
When u shoot raw u will definitely get more dynamic range as all the information has been recorded and will be available for you to extract. However, it is always good to try and get the shot right the first time. There is only so much detail u can extract from the highlights and shadows in the raw files.
Shooting it right will be your first priority.
If not, the raw file offers you a 2nd chance.

Reactions: Humanparody
Thank you all. This whole mavic is blowing my mind. Everything from what we talked about here to post processing and flying is doing my head in. Not to mention video with quality frame rates and all the settings g's to go with it. Hopefully persistence will pay off and I'll start to get the shots I really want.

Sent from my SM-G900I using MavicPilots mobile app

In the meantime here is a picture I took today. No processing of any sort. Please deconstruct it, tell me what to do better, or what I did wrong, and how to improve. I want to be as good as Flumpet some day.DJI_0092.JPG

Reactions: dam
In the meantime here is a picture I took today. No processing of any sort. Please deconstruct it, tell me what to do better, or what I did wrong, and how to improve. I want to be as good as Flumpet some day.View attachment 1168

Holy moly.. that looks amazing .. more like an HDR shot.. good job !!! What time of day did u take it ?

Reactions: insainflow
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe