DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro showing up on Flight Radar 24....weird?>

I would say that the ground speed should be a dead give away as well as the altitude. I believe you picked up a helicopter and not a drone regardless of the call out for aircraft type The registration number is also a give away, the number is more for aircraft and not a drone registration number. One last thing, our drones aren't equipped with transponders for showing all the infomation that it shows on Flight Raday 24. IMHO.

Correct, except that you certainly can apply for an N-number for a drone, and many people have done so. And the number in question is registered to a Mavic Pro.

well the Mode-S code comes back to a drone and a N Number

N12345 (DJI MAVIC PRO owned by GUTTERMAN ADAM D) Aircraft Registration ✈ FlightAware

And it shows in the FAA database... you ain't hacking that
FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Inquiry
Note that near the top of the firm it says “N12345 is assigned multiple records” . Don’t have any contextual knowledge of what this means. It suggests to me that the registration number is assigned to multiple registrants. That would suggest it isn’t like a “normal” N-number, that it’s sort of a place holder to get a registration in the database when there’s not a unique N-number assigned. It would be interesting to know more.

Note that near the top of the firm it says “N12345 is assigned multiple records” . Don’t have any contextual knowledge of what this means. It suggests to me that the registration number is assigned to multiple registrants. That would suggest it isn’t like a “normal” N-number, that it’s sort of a place holder to get a registration in the database when there’s not a unique N-number assigned. It would be interesting to know more.

it was on a now "de-registered" aircraft, the records stay forever, that is why there are multiple records

look at this N number, it was on a chopper that was involved in a fatal with the loss of 21 souls in 1968 and re-issued, multiple records noted, including one from 1931

FAA Registry - Aircraft - N-Number Inquiry

Los Angeles Airways Flight 417 - Wikipedia

Last edited:
This has confirmed an experience I had recently. I was flying near Brisbane CBD, over 6.5kms from Brisbane Airport but in proximity to a number of Helicopter Landing Sites. In Australia, you are permitted to fly here, so long as you land immediately if you become aware of an aircraft in the vicinity. During the flight I suddenly received an alert on my screen to land immediately as there was another aircraft in the area. Visibility was effectively unlimited except for some tall buildings, clear sunshine, no wind and no apparent aircraft noise. I decided to keep flying but about 10 minutes later, received the same alert again and landed. There was still no sign of any other aircraft. After carefully reviewing all my photos, there were two pics of commercial airliners as specs in the distance and then there it was, a helicopter, between buildings, over a kilometre away!
So, how did my DJI GO4 app know this? Only one possible answer, my app was communicating on a common band with other aircraft! This would only be possible if you were flying without your phone being in airplane mode...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis