DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro showing up on Flight Radar 24....weird?>

So it must have a transponder then huh? I watched it moving when taking screen shots, who knows?

Not likely. More likely, as suggested by FlightRadar24 (see post #18), is that other aircraft are using the associated Mode S code, either by mistake or to obfuscate their identity.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
yeah, I seen that, I actually looked up on my account. weird **** man..

I don't men to hijack the thread, but would helicopters show up on this app, who do short local excursions, in the Dominican Republic? I just downloaded the app and fixed wing aircraft show up. Where I fly my drone, sometimes the helicopter tours are in the area, it would be great if I could use this app to see where the heli's are.
Yes Helicopters show up.

Reactions: Sprocket
Here he is flyin in from the islands

8962209C-EAC9-4ECB-8347-C0083D8EBEBF.pngE25ABF0D-E3CF-4740-9EFA-4606AF112B54.png
He’s been around a bit

Yes Helicopters show up.
Watch off the coast of Rio de Janeiro early in the morning their time. I've seen as many as 18 at one time in the general area. Granted it is Brazil, but it is also Flightradar24.
Some on here claim FR24 is useless because of a delay in showing them. BS on that. Go outside and watch for a jet to go over. FR24 is really close to real time. If there was a delay it is a simple matter to allow for that.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Fr24 is a terrible method of judging traffic for several reasons.

Firstly it relies on good local coverage to feed it. If there isn't close local coverage, it'll miss low altitude stuff.
If local coverage is even worse it'll extrapolate and can cause latency, sometimes extreme latency. And extrapolating misses turns and climbs.
Add that to most GA, rotary and military aircraft are not ADS-B equipped meaning they won't show and these are the types most likely to be operating at drone altitudes.
Then finally add on the Fr24 blacklist which removes all military traffic and a huge chunk of private traffic thats asked to opt out.

What you're seeing on Fr24 is a tiny snapshot of what is actually about in an area, especially at low level. Yes in some places it can PROVE there is an aircraft in the rough area but it cant do the opposite - prove there isnt.

I see helicopters all the time, mostly news chopper doing traffic at 8am and 5pm, also see state trooper choppers. occasionally I do see those very small privately owned choppers too. but I believe transponder are not required on all aircraft, not real sure though.

I actually spoke to the local helicopter pilot who does the tours in the area, he says there is no way I can put a transponder on my drone that he could see or monitor, or vice versa. However, he did put me in touch with the guy in charge of his schedule, so I can communicate with him when I fly in the area. He also gave me the route he takes coming in and out of his landing spot.

I actually spoke to the local helicopter pilot who does the tours in the area, he says there is no way I can put a transponder on my drone that he could see or monitor, or vice versa. However, he did put me in touch with the guy in charge of his schedule, so I can communicate with him when I fly in the area. He also gave me the route he takes coming in and out of his landing spot.

That's not strictly true - he could run an ADS-B transponder and you could use an ADS-B receiver, in which case you would see him, and conversely you could put an ADS-B transponder on your drone (if any are available that are small enough) and he could see you on an ADS-B receiver. His suggestion sounds easier though.

Reactions: conchman
That's not strictly true - he could run an ADS-B transponder and you could use an ADS-B receiver, in which case you would see him, and conversely you could put an ADS-B transponder on your drone (if any are available that are small enough) and he could see you on an ADS-B receiver. His suggestion sounds easier though.

I guess the viability of this would be limited as the heli location would show up on a different app or possibly even on a different screen/monitor on my side, or if I had the transponder and the heli the receiver, he would have to be monitoring his radar/gps screen unless an alarm pops up when we get too close to each other. Not quite sure how this equipment works. But thanks for the info.

The drone is flying in an area monitored by aeroscope. the email registered to the aircraft, serial number and flight path are logged

Last edited:
Fr24 is a terrible method of judging traffic for several reasons.

Firstly it relies on good local coverage to feed it. If there isn't close local coverage, it'll miss low altitude stuff.
If local coverage is even worse it'll extrapolate and can cause latency, sometimes extreme latency. And extrapolating misses turns and climbs.
Add that to most GA, rotary and military aircraft are not ADS-B equipped meaning they won't show and these are the types most likely to be operating at drone altitudes.
Then finally add on the Fr24 blacklist which removes all military traffic and a huge chunk of private traffic thats asked to opt out.

What you're seeing on Fr24 is a tiny snapshot of what is actually about in an area, especially at low level. Yes in some places it can PROVE there is an aircraft in the rough area but it cant do the opposite - prove there isnt.

Here we go again.. Flight Radar 24 will show you aircraft that have the correct transponders on them. You can get an idea of what's in the sky around you instead of NO CLUE what's flying. Better than nothing.

Reactions: conchman
So I usually always use Flight Radar 24 when flying my Mavic Pro just to be on the lookout for any low flying aircraft or helicopters, I live in the northern suburbs of Detroit. well the other day I noticed a Drone icon flying near a Canadian airport, when I clicked on it, it said it was a Mavic pro??? Anyone seen anything like this before?? whats going on here?? Height and speed don't seem right either.
View attachment 47838View attachment 47839View attachment 47840View attachment 47841View attachment 47842
So I usually always use Flight Radar 24 when flying my Mavic Pro just to be on the lookout for any low flying aircraft or helicopters, I live in the northern suburbs of Detroit. well the other day I noticed a Drone icon flying near a Canadian airport, when I clicked on it, it said it was a Mavic pro??? Anyone seen anything like this before?? whats going on here?? Height and speed don't seem right either.
View attachment 47838View attachment 47839View attachment 47840View attachment 47841View attachment 47842
I would say that the ground speed should be a dead give away as well as the altitude. I believe you picked up a helicopter and not a drone regardless of the call out for aircraft type The registration number is also a give away, the number is more for aircraft and not a drone registration number. One last thing, our drones aren't equipped with transponders for showing all the infomation that it shows on Flight Raday 24. IMHO.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki