DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Radio Mods Primer

the noise ratio should be low due to the input being a panel antenna

yea that's why I thought amp would be need due to the input signal otherwise being to low

but maybe using an amp would make it worst per se? meaning since amps need that much input to trigger it

but maybe using an amp would make it worst per se?
The amp won't function if it doesn't receive a 0-3 dBm signal from the RC on the ground. If you could find a tunable input trigger amp, you might make this work. But anything tunable will be very expensive.

sorry mis read what you posted in other post ...no amp what about direct connect to Omni ant to panel....panel aimed at pilot on ground? coax short as possible?

ya know what about an old direct tv dish as a input to the amp :)

the dish being a bigger area would that boost dbms?

sorry mis read what you posted in other post ...no amp what about direct connect to Omni ant to panel....panel aimed at pilot on ground? coax short as possible?
Yes. Point one panel in desired flight direction, point the other panel to the ground where your RC will be. Connect the 2 panels with as short of coax you can find (and best quality you can afford). On your RC, use and amp and panel antenna and point it to the top of the pole. This will work, the only unknown is how much dB loss you will incur going through the passive antenna solution.

the dish being a bigger area would that boost dbms?

It's just not possible to get over-the-air signals at that level. The amp manufactures purposely set those triggers at levels that can only be achieved when direct coax connected.

EDIT: anything is possible with the right resources but it would be prohibitively expensive and illegal to get 3 dBm over-the-air.

ya I figure that would be the case on that :( what about onmi antenna and panel? panel would face RC

coax cables that come on the panel are to long for this! I will take it apart solder on a contector so I can screw on an Omni antenna?

that would help make up the db loss the Omni has?

coax cables that come on the panel are to long for this! I will take it apart solder on a contector so I can screw on an Omni antenna?
The less parts, the less loss! You might as well take apart both antennas and make them one direct soldered.

The less parts, the less loss! You might as well take apart both antennas and make them one direct soldered.

hum good point I can do that!

I have never tried this method. You may have a grounding issue to address if 2 antennas are direct soldered without going through a grounded connector. Let me know how it goes if you try this.

I did some google searches for folks that have made Wi-Fi passive solutions and they are reporting 25+ dB loss. This sounds plausible and I would suspect you will see similar results. In my estimation, this would reduce your Mavic range by two thirds, but if one third range is all you need, this might be a feasible solution.

I did some google searches for folks that have made Wi-Fi passive solutions and they are reporting 25+ dB loss. This sounds plausible and I would suspect you will see similar results. In my estimation, this would reduce your Mavic range by two thirds, but if one third range is all you need, this might be a feasible solution.

ohhh :( I was hoping it would increase my overall range I was wondering about the db loss :(

back to the drawing board :( well it was worth a thought :)

Just finished up editing the boost vs factory amplifier comparison video. There is a lot of data to absorb and new behaviors were observed. We can debate the particulars later, but wanted to get the info out that folks have been waiting a long time to see.

Mavic Radio System Observations 4.1
Boost vs Factory Amplifier Comparison

dronemods-2018-112.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uhd tv