DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Resolution 7 Details comparison 4k vs 2.7k ; JPG vs. DNG

Hi,
thats not the case in older Firmwares.
IF it is the case in current FW DJI f*cked up badly.

Ender
They must have ****** up badly and it sucks because I now have to adjust the colorprofile accordingly while taking pics and videos

Not sure what you are complaining about. RAW is exactly what is scanned off the sensor pixel by pixel without any image processing. I for one would be very displeased if the MP would “massage”RAW. I prefer to do that with Adobe later...

Not sure what you are complaining about. RAW is exactly what is scanned off the sensor pixel by pixel without any image processing. I for one would be very displeased if the MP would “massage”RAW. I prefer to do that with Adobe later...
I guess you misunderstood something.

If I take a RAW Photo with the mavic and I take two pictures

1x style normal
1x style d-log

both .dng files look different once I imported them to my computer. And this shouldn't be the case!

I guess you misunderstood something.

If I take a RAW Photo with the mavic and I take two pictures

1x style normal
1x style d-log

both .dng files look different once I imported them to my computer. And this shouldn't be the case!

Hi again, it would not be the first time that they mixed up video & photo settings, BUT did you check if the 2 raw's maybe only contain different META Info that your raw decoder uses for setting the deault corretcions ?
In that case it *could* be that the raws are identical just the postprocessing of the raw decoder is deifferent. Just guessing but that would be a happy end.

Goof luck !

Ender

Reactions: Roamer105
Hi again, it would not be the first time that they mixed up video & photo settings, BUT did you check if the 2 raw's maybe only contain different META Info that your raw decoder uses for setting the deault corretcions ?
In that case it *could* be that the raws are identical just the postprocessing of the raw decoder is deifferent. Just guessing but that would be a happy end.

Goof luck !

Ender
One user gave me the answer

RAW images typically contain a lowres .jpg preview which is used for thumbnails. Chances are the color settings active when the image was shot are applied to the preview so they will show up in Camera roll etc however when you actually open the file in a full blown editor and work with the full data you'll see the original raw file.

Ahhhh :) dont worry, those things happen to the best of us :)

Ender

I've tried both 4k and 2.7k and definitely prefer 4k personally. I also shoot 4k60fps on my gopro so that is a big reason as well. 4k on a big tv just looks stunning and when I compared it to 2.7k you can definitely see a difference in sharpness/detail, but unless they are right next to each other its hard to tell.

I think that if you have the space on your computer along with the processing power 4k is the way to go, but if you are lacking in those departments then just shoot 2.7k. My two cents from personal experience.

Please understand that besides the Resolution a MAJOR part is that you will have more compression Artifacts (e.g.Block pumping) in 4k as the bit / frame / pixel ratio is much worsein 4k.
The Mavic has a too narrow bandwidth and the Air did away with that problem.
I would agree on the Air but stongly disagree on the Pro.

Ender

Please understand that besides the Resolution a MAJOR part is that you will have more compression Artifacts (e.g.Block pumping) in 4k as the bit / frame / pixel ratio is much worsein 4k.
The Mavic has a too narrow bandwidth and the Air did away with that problem.
I would agree on the Air but stongly disagree on the Pro.

Ender
In low light situations I completely agree and noticed this myself, but the compression artifacts seem to go away completely with proper lighting and or NEAT video. When I filmed in 2.7k the footage just looked softer. I use +1, -1, -1 as per the film poets recommendation

If you look for it you can find the pumping even in the brightest lighting in darker parts of the image,

But of course everybody has to judge for himself whats more important...

Ender

If you look for it you can find the pumping even in the brightest lighting in darker parts of the image,

But of course everybody has to judge for himself whats more important...

Ender

Ender,

Can you share some shots and videos you took? I’d like to see some of your results since you seem to be very knowledgeable about all that major brain damage (at least for me)

Thanks buddy

Ender,

Can you share some shots and videos you took? I’d like to see some of your results since you seem to be very knowledgeable about all that major brain damage (at least for me)

Thanks buddy
Hi !
Actually its more a collection of raw videos from myself and others :)
WAY to much to share and i dont have the permission for most of the stuff.
So i cant :-(

This thread is about Resolution and it should contain all neccessary Details.
The part about the compression Artifacts is much less straightforward and REALLY depends on lighting & motive.

As i said, even in bright sunlight compression Artifacts will show in 4k much harsher then in 2,7k.
And while 4k may look sharper at the same settings it really isnt, its just DJI's lacking abilities to equalize the post processing in different Resolutions (Thats not an easy task, i once had to do that over a wide variety of devices but DJI really failed at that task).

So as 4k does NOT give you a seizable (if at all) advantage in Resolution but a very well seizable disadvantage in terms of compression Ratio its a no-brainer to choose 2,7k.
Only exception would be if it adds too much work / annoyance in post processing for you but thats of course i cannot judge.

btw. On Mavic Air the game is very different as 4k offers a much better Resolution (due to the in-chip-cropping of 2,7k), bitrate isnt a factor (due to very high bandwidth) and the 2,7k offers 60 FPS. For the Air you really have to do the HARD choice of fluidness (2,7k60) vs. Resolution (4k30). Thats tough :)

Greetings,

Ender

Reactions: wowography
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom