DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Shot Down

The footage just before he is shot down looks suspicious to me.
The pilot obviously knows something is up.
Pretty sure he is flying with full knowledge that the guy has a gun pointed at him.
He is edging around trying to get footage of the guy without being hit.
I hope the whole video was made available to the authorities.
Of course, regardless of how he was or wasn’t flying before the shooter got out his rifle, there’s no reason to justify the shooting.
Shooter probably felt like such a hero after making the kill shot.
“Nek-Minnit” he’s not feeling so hot facing felony charges. LOL

For the feds to consider prosecuting I assume the FAA would refer its investigative reports to the local U S Attorney’s office presenting for prosecution. Anyone know what fed criminal statute(s) would be considered? Might be a tough sell to get prosecutor to charge violation of a stiff federal felony statute normally used for shooting at full size aircraft with humans inside, for a pellet gun used on what non-drone people would say looks like a toy. Much better to beat a hasty retreat when you spot him drawing a bead on you.:oops:

For the feds to consider prosecuting I assume the FAA would refer its investigative reports to the local U S Attorney’s office presenting for prosecution. Anyone know what fed criminal statute(s) would be considered? Might be a tough sell to get prosecutor to charge violation of a stiff federal felony statute normally used for shooting at full size aircraft with humans inside, for a pellet gun used on what non-drone people would say looks like a toy. Much better to beat a hasty retreat when you spot him drawing a bead on you.:oops:

I hope they do prosecute under the federal law - even if he gets no time, someone needs to be made the example of to discourage future behavior of this kind. And if so, I hope that gets tons of press, as does any incident with a drone at fault does.

Here is the federal law:
18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities

Here are the guys that prosecute under it:
Contact the Department | DOJ | Department of Justice

Whether they defer the prosecution is to be seen I suppose. The problem is - if they do, he'll get off with a misdemeanor criminal damage charge, & whats to stop the next guy from shooting one down that's flying at 400 feet up, and it falls on someone's head. And lets say its an Inspire and not a Mavic. Someone will get seriously hurt.

Last edited:
I just checked the Jackson County, Oregon court calendar. This guy is up for arraignment /indictment the morning of November 21, case number 17C69515.
The charge the DA filed against him is a felony. The Jackson County sheriffs department also said it was being referred to the FAA to see if they wanted to prosecute as well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman