DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Stopping Recording Prematurely

MonarchzMan

Reactions
I finally got my Mavic yesterday and have started flying it, and by and large, loving it. But I am having a problem with it. When I first put in a 64GB SanDisc Extreme PLUS memory card, the Mavic would not recognize it and said that there was an error, and it wouldn't let me format the card. I turned off the Mavic and turned it back on, and suddenly, it would allow me to format the card. Then I could record.

But since then, I've found that the recording will stop randomly, and when it does, the file is corrupted and through the Mavic, just says the video is 0:00 in length. It's frustrating because it seems to be totally random. I can sometimes take video and as long as I stop the video, the video is usable.

Anyone have this problem and know what the solution is? I don't think the memory card is a fake (bought from Best Buy). Thanks!

2 possibilities come to mind. Either the Mavic is capped at 32GB support for the card, or the card is defective. Plug the SD into your computer and see what the current usage is and if you can continue to save to the card without the files corrupting.

It's easy to test a memory card: fill it up with your own files on the computer, then compare it to the files on your computer to see if there's any corruption.

Most devices can't handle more than 32GB, so it supporting 64GB and not 128GB sounds illogical.

I suspect the card needs to be formatted. I agree with Cyberpower. Try writing files from your pc to the card and see if you can fill it up. The Mavic does work with a 64GB card, but it is possible your card is bad. Try the 16GB that came with the Mavic and see if that records ok.

Rob

Wow, thanks for the fast replies. I'll try the suggestions as well as some other microSD cards to see if that fixes the issue.

Also- make sure you've formatted that 64gig card to exFat instead of Fat32!

Edit1: You use Fat32 for up to 32GB cards- it has a max file size of 4GB. After that you've got to use exFat. Could be why you are having errors.

Edit2: I use a 64gig Lexar, same type and class as the 16 that is included. It's formatted exFat and I've had no problems.

Edit3: let us know what OS you use and we can walk you through the formatting process. Lots of edits so I don't have to multiple post on my train of thought.

Last edited:
I'm using Windows 10.

Ok! Put the card in the computer (with the adapter or whatever you need to hook it up).

Go to My computer and then right click on the SD card.
Select 'format'
Click the 'file system' drop down
Select exFat
The "quick format" box should be already checked

Click 'start' and you should be good to go!

Here's a link for steps with pictures from GoPro (for windows 8 but should get you there)
SD Card Reformat on a Windows Computer

Alright, so looks like it may be the card or type of card. I have 4 microSD cards:

64gb - SanDisk Extreme PLUS
64gb - SanDisk Extreme
32gb - SanDisk Extreme
16gb - Lexar kit card

I formatted all of the SanDisk cards (the Extreme PLUS card being the one I've been using). Then I tried recording for 5 minutes on each (the camera never lasted more than 2 minutes prior to this before cutting out). Of the four cards, only the Extreme PLUS card cut out prematurely. All of the others recorded for 5 minutes. So, it's as you guys say, it may be a bad card or my Mavic doesn't like Extreme PLUS.

Thanks for the help, guys!

maybe clear video cache on app. I noticed when i flying my recorded footage wasnt all my video on the app, however all my footage was on the card when i put it in my computer

I wasn't able to view the files on either the app or the computer. Both said they exist, but I couldn't play them.

maybe clear video cache on app. I noticed when i flying my recorded footage wasnt all my video on the app, however all my footage was on the card when i put it in my computer

The phone/tablet app cache has no effect on the behavior of the drone itself. If the cache is turned off, or filled up, or is small, or is big, it has no effect whatsoever on the quality or length of the drone's recordings. The cache is just as an instant-replay feature with downlink draft quality imagery.

I've got the same problem here... the 2 files DJI_906 and DJI_907 are corrupt. No rhyme or reason why the recording stops suddenly. The Card is a 64GB SanDisk Extreme Plus and is formatted ExFat. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 1.48.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 1.48.46 PM.png
    106 KB · Views: 10
The memory card issue fixed it for me. I haven't had an issue with it stopping prematurely since I started using a different memory card.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S