DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic take off point vs P3/4

Dronebow

Reactions
So, as I understand it, the Mavic doesn't have to rely on the GPS/compass to take off like the Phantom and it has me both excited and wondering. One issue I have had to deal with is where I can take off from. Set the P3 on pavement and you get compass errors due to the cement having steal rods in it. Same on roads and other man made objects.

But the Mavic has no P or ATTI mode. So wondering if it even will matter where you take off from. If you take off with a compass or GPS issue, it will be automatically in ATTI mode correct? And will switch when it's airborne?

Can anyone confirm? There is a lot of talk about the shortness of the legs and having the camera or blades in the grass and I think it's because the assumption is that we will have to also find non-paved surfaces to take off from. The design of the Mavic, I'm hoping, will alleviate that issue.

Thoughts?

Hard to confirm with no one having them yet... And other than a very limited number of "reviewers" actually having a brain when it comes to using the pre-prod model, I doubt there is anyone who can even answer yet.

Figured there was some DJI representation here that may know the answer. There has been a lot of talk about getting a landing pad and how low it is to the ground.. it just struck me that it shouldn't matter given the design.

I would assume the mavic will do what a P3 does without GPS lock, which is default to ATTI (in the Mavic's case, the only way you get there) and fly more or less normally. You still have VPS for low level stability, but the risk you run is that--I think--the previous home point will persist until you set a new one, as it will not have automatically updated when motors are armed. If you get into RTH-triggering trouble, you may be in a world of hurt

Also, I take off from pavement and steel-framed buildings all the time. I don't mean to undercut the extra caution the presence of ferrous metal should warrant, but I think maybe its effect on the compass is a touch exaggerated amongst the forums

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu