DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic video looks like **** !

mojo43

Reactions
Look, I am not an expert, but I use my gear professionally every single day. I love the format/portability of the Mavic, but the image quality in video simply SUCKS!

I have tried tons of different settings/firmware/apps etc. The image quality either shows really bad sharpening halos with aliasing and artifacts and the image breaks up because the codec can't handle the detail. I really wish there was a solution to getting better image quality from it, but I just don't see how. All I keep reading is how everyone is so happy with this thing. How can that be?

(from the other side of the coin)

Reactions: lenzwizard
Maybe yours is bad, took me awhile but video for me looks good. Not sure how it would look on a tv, but on iPad Air 2 great.

Sorry to hear that my friend as my video quality is absolutely stunning. I'm shorting in 4K at 30fps without any issues at all. I'm also running Polar Pro Cinema Series Filters with no issue as well. Now with that said, I think it's all relative in regard to the gear your comparing it to and your expectations.

In comparison to my Mark IV or Panasonic X1, then there can be a world of difference depending on the shoot but for what I want the Mavic to do and for what my expectations were givens it's spec, I've been extremely pleased.

Hope your situation gets resolved and hopefully someone here can offer some insight.

Good luck!

Maybe yours is bad, took me awhile but video for me looks good. Not sure how it would look on a tv, but on iPad Air 2 great.

This is exactly the problem. The Mavid video is great for people who want to watch the video on their phones. It is not a true 2k image. Watch it on a tv or a laptop with 4k resolution.

Sorry to hear that my friend as my video quality is absolutely stunning. I'm shorting in 4K at 30fps without any issues at all. I'm also running Polar Pro Cinema Series Filters with no issue as well. Now with that said, I think it's all relative in regard to the gear your comparing it to and your expectations.

In comparison to my Mark IV or Panasonic X1, then there can be a world of difference depending on the shoot but for what I want the Mavic to do and for what my expectations were givens it's spec, I've been extremely pleased.

Hope your situation gets resolved and hopefully someone here can offer some insight.

Good luck!
Thanks, yes I am comparing it to any newer DSLR video quality. Unfortunately it is just miles of difference. I could never deliver this kind of quality to a client. It's sad, since the form factor is so perfect.

This is exactly the problem. The Mavid video is great for people who want to watch the video on their phones. It is not a true 2k image. Watch it on a tv or a laptop with 4k resolution.
I've got playback on a 4K monitor as well as iPhone 6+ and the quality and specs are both 4K. I can send you a sample file if you'd like to take a look. It's true 4K.

I've got playback on a 4K monitor as well as iPhone 6+ and the quality and specs are both 4K. I can send you a sample file if you'd like to take a look. It's true 4K.

Yes I realize that it the file says that it is 4k, but the file only contains one out of every 8 frames that as a true full image. The rest of the frames are the differences between that full frame. Also it is most likely pixel binned.

It is not able to handle the detail in a 4k scene so what results is mushiness or missing parts of the image.

Is it with shadows or the entirety of the image?

I am talking about the sharpened parts of the image. It contains really bad halos and aliasing. Actually I have only seen a few samples of video that doesn't contain this on the web. Does anyone have any clean footage that they can share? I would love to be proven wrong.

Reactions: SeanOzz
Look, I am not an expert, but I use my gear professionally every single day. I love the format/portability of the Mavic, but the image quality in video simply SUCKS!

I have tried tons of different settings/firmware/apps etc. The image quality either shows really bad sharpening halos with aliasing and artifacts and the image breaks up because the codec can't handle the detail. I really wish there was a solution to getting better image quality from it, but I just don't see how. All I keep reading is how everyone is so happy with this thing. How can that be?

(from the other side of the coin)
Mine had a really crappy image when I got it. I wanted them to take it back. They said to send it back into them. When I got it back the camera worked a hundred percent better. Actually they replace the Drone. It's not as good as my GoPro but pretty close. From what I understand there has been tons of camera problems but if you send it back they will take care of it

Mine had a really crappy image when I got it. I wanted them to take it back. They said to send it back into them. When I got it back the camera worked a hundred percent better. Actually they replace the Drone. It's not as good as my GoPro but pretty close. From what I understand there has been tons of camera problems but if you send it back they will take care of it

Ahhh I did that. When I first received my Mavic it has a focusing problem on the right side. It was very blurry when focused to infinity. I received a new one and that problem is all cleared up. What is happening now isn't due to the camera. I believe that the Mavic is being over sharpened as well as the fact that the codec is too light and can't handle very much detail.

Watch this video and you will get excellent results if you follow the comments steps...

Thanks for the video. This by far the best footage that I have seen from the Mavic. I use the exact same settings though and I get really bad sharpening artifacts so I have to assume that this person is doing something in post or is not shooting with the Mavic.

Can someone else post similar type of footage from with the same settings?

Reactions: Shawn3D and SeanOzz
Thanks for the video. This by far the best footage that I have seen from the Mavic. I use the exact same settings though and I get really bad sharpening artifacts so I have to assume that this person is doing something in post or is not shooting with the Mavic.

Can someone else post similar type of footage from with the same settings?

And don't tell me that the LUT is helping, because we all know that LUTS can't remove sharpening artifacts and aliasing.

Have you tried to switch your camera to ntsc to pal and back again? Or visa versa depending on your preferred setting. This resets the camera completely and may fix your halo issue. Sounds like you have something wrong with your Mavic

If you're experienced with DSLR pro gear and really know how to get the best result with them, I'm pretty sure your Mavic is "awarded".
If I was you I would take it to an authorized technical assistance.

I'm not an expert either but I know how to deal with a professional camera. Knowing the limitations of the Mavic's cam I can assure you that I can get pretty stunning footage with it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe