DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic water recovery system

I like the simplicity and minimum weight of this set up. Could you supply a break down of all the components with pictures. Diameter, length of Velcro etc. would love to try & build it. This may sound stupid but how do I "PM" you?
Boman

Yes i can. You are not the first to ask and i have been busy but will be around this week so i can work on a how to guide so to speak. I have used these quit a bit so far and i cannot even tell performance wise at all with them on or off. Shot some great video this past weekend pull the kids on the tube behind the little boat. Used the Autopilot app with the orbit feature. This was a true test in that orbiting a boat on the move going 20mph or so and zig-zaging while the app does circles and follows puts the Mavic through some serious maneuvers.

I wrote to the Getterback guy about this matter and the shortcomings of his existing product and he did say to stay tuned as he is working on a new version that should be more applicable for this purpose. Maybe a better float with a stronger and much longer line. He said to check back in early spring. We'll see what shows up. The places that I go to can be extremely deep so a line recovery system is probably not going to work better than one that is an automatically deployed flotation system.
A longer line sure but stronger? 10 pounds now is more than sufficient.

Black one is close to 3"
Workoutz 60 Inch Solid Pool Noodle (1 Qty) Commercial Quality Aquatic Float Made In USA (BLACK NOODLE) Amazon.com : Workoutz 60 Inch Solid Pool Noodle (1 Qty) Commercial Quality Aquatic Float Made In USA (BLACK NOODLE) : Sports & Outdoors

Red one is slightly smaller at 2-3/4.

Water Noodle Swim Pool Noodle Solid Core Swim Noodle Kids Crafts Therapy Noodles | eBay

If you are going to paint it with the orange plastic dip you will need the red noodle. You will never get the black one to cover. The black noodle is a bit more rugged then the red
They also offer the larger ( black) in a "White" version. I would think that could be painted red no problem. What do you think?

They also offer the larger ( black) in a "White" version. I would think that could be painted red no problem. What do you think?

If its a Red paint maybe but if its the plastic coat i think you will really be putting a lot on it to cover it. dark colors over light ones seem to take a few coats. The red color with the neon orange covered very well.

i finally was able to put this through its paces and except for a quick gimps they did not show in the video. (at the 2:50 mark)not bad i could always cut a bit off. I used autopilot to capture the video and as you can tell it really worked out the Mavic.

Reactions: MarcObarlow
If its a Red paint maybe but if its the plastic coat i think you will really be putting a lot on it to cover it. dark colors over light ones seem to take a few coats. The red color with the neon orange covered very well.

i finally was able to put this through its paces and except for a quick gimps they did not show in the video. (at the 2:50 mark)not bad i could always cut a bit off. I used autopilot to capture the video and as you can tell it really worked out the Mavic.

I see on Amazon the 3" solid float is also available in a 4" version. Have you thought about these as a "Recovery " lift rather than the 3"?

I see on Amazon the 3" solid float is also available in a 4" version. Have you thought about these as a "Recovery " lift rather than the 3"?
you could even go to places like the foamfactory and get a even larger size to lift it up out of the water. This was not the intended purpose. i tried smaller diameters and worked my way up to 3" to get the smallest possible profile for recovery only. But yes you could find a size that lifts it up to a point in which you might feel comfortable to land. I did want to keep the bottom sensors functional but i see now most are shutting these off over water. one item of note the Mavic is top heavy. so if you stop at the camera to insure you do not get the floats in view the front may dive a bit up to a point in which you find a larger diameter float to which will over come this and will float level. you can see this effect in the float test i did. one thing for sure is that the balls i see do not stay at all in a crash and by going with a larger diameter float you are increasing your odds of this. Below is a example

Last edited:
Thanks for the link on the paint. My thought was that with the 4" tube, you could mortise the rear legs deeper into the foam. This would then allow you to be able to mortise the front legs as well. Structurally, it should make it more secure. It should stay slightly higher in the water and may make it better balanced. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Matt
Thanks for the link on the paint. My thought was that with the 4" tube, you could mortise the rear legs deeper into the foam. This would then allow you to be able to mortise the front legs as well. Structurally, it should make it more secure. It should stay slightly higher in the water and may make it better balanced. What are your thoughts?
worth a try i would say. initially i thought that i should not cover up the bottom sensors but this seems to be not the case. Just make sure it is very very secure otherwise it could cause a crash and if you did have a malfunction or hit something they would stay on

So I finished up some changes to the Noel design. I felt that changes had to be made to make it so that it would not get detached during a crash.

I added a carbon fiber tube through the noodle and attached it to the frame. Also through the tube SS wire that then wrapped around the noodle. This serves as a secondary attachment of the noodle to the frame

[/URL]

Because the frame is attached at the rear landing gear and a clip on the front any sort of crash will dislodge it
[/URL]

The strap wraps around the battery at the release button so I bought a GoPro mounts that allow the strap not to interfere

[/URL]

This secures it much better.

[/URL]

Last edited:
It floated with about a inch or so of clearance. I bobbed it up and down a bit and water did touch the strap. So just a little wave action and yes the bottom will get wet.

I weight it and it comes in at 3.5 oz. which is nearly double of the life jacket (initial design)

I have not flown it but holding it and moving it around with the googles on yes they do get in camera view. This only occurred with having the mavic pitched. So normal straight flight it should be fine.

I have seen a few versions of the Noel design so I am sure it will fly fine.

Probably test it soon but given it adds no significant benift to my early goals I am in no hurry. I would not land this thing on anything other then some pond. Surely not a large lake or salt water. At 3.5 oz I think I might see a performance issue.

My thoughts are it looks kind of cool. Adds much more weight than the life jacket. Could keep the underbelly mostly dry if it auto lands on me verses recovery only with the life jacket. Should be able to be somewhat in-tacked in a crash but not as snug and secure as the life jacket. More profile in windy conditions. Aggressive flying or following a boat or such they will get in the camera view from time to time. This could ruin some great shots.

Attachments

• IMG_6823.JPG
    IMG_6823.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6833.PNG
    IMG_6833.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Boman

Yes i can. You are not the first to ask and i have been busy but will be around this week so i can work on a how to guide so to speak. I have used these quit a bit so far and i cannot even tell performance wise at all with them on or off. Shot some great video this past weekend pull the kids on the tube behind the little boat. Used the Autopilot app with the orbit feature. This was a true test in that orbiting a boat on the move going 20mph or so and zig-zaging while the app does circles and follows puts the Mavic through some serious maneuvers.
Have you had any time to post some specs of your "Mavic life vest" system? i.e. Pontoon length, rear tube or bar? Its length, diameter etc
Thanks

I did try out the version II water recovery system this weekend the Mavic Pontoons. at takeoff it hesitated for a half of a second. being the first flight my heart skipped a beat. It did fly very well even though at 3.5oz its twice the weight as the Mavic Life jacket. Battery level was good. Pontoons did not get in the camera but i was not flying aggressively. these might be my choice of just normal flying ( Pontoons) with the Life jacket being used for portability and when i am aggressively filming like a moving object. Here is a video

After a few more flights with the pontoon system i can compare fight times between - No Floats, Mavic Lifejacket and the Mavic Pontoons. Hopefully this helpful to all. Losing it in the drink is not a great feeling. been there done that

Last edited:
Thanks for the specs. That 61/2" x 1/8" plastic bar that mounts to the rear, how is it secured? Is the flat bar rigid? Does it flex?
Again, thanks
The rear bar i chemically welded a round piece of the same ABS plastic. to do this cut up some pieces of the abs plastic and put them in a small amount of Acetone. this will make a goop. this is the glue to chemically weld the round gromit on the ends of the rear. slide the noodle together so you do dont get any on it. that way you can slide them together for storage. they do not flex much

Is there a commercial market for this kind of product?

I've watching in awe as these ideas have developed. I'm pretty sure for the right price, I'd actually buy something like this!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1