DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Light rain causing a crack on upper shell?

magicstudiopro

Reactions
I was out on the water filming and taking photos of some bald eagles. My friend and I were about to feed it a walleye we had just caught to get a good shot but unfortunately it began to rain lightly and I decided to bring the drone back as they are not rated for the rain. Once I landed the done on the back of my sea-doo, I began to pack it. That's when I noticed a small hole and crack.

I've only flown the drown a handful of times with a total fly time on the DJI app saying 28 minutes. I transport the drone in a carrying case and handle it with care. I don't recall ever dropping it and definitively have yet to crash it (I'm sure my day will come). I've flown it couple times last week and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it if it had happened on another day.

My theory:
The rain landed on the propeller and as it spun, it launched a chunk of water hitting the shell and cracking it. (is it even possible? I don't know....)

I've requested a repair with DJI although it is out of warranty. They wont tell me how much it would cost as they need to inspect it in person but if anyone has an idea on how much they would charge before I make the decision to ship it out that would be great too. thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    905.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
My theory:
The rain landed on the propeller and as it spun, it launched a chunk of water hitting the shell and cracking it. (is it even possible? I don't know....)
No way... not the slightest possibility, besides... that hole is covered by the unfolded leg. It's more likely that you (or someone else...) have slammed that leg open causing that damage.

@magicstudiopro looking at the pictures with the image enlarged seems to show that was done by someone trying to open up the drone ,you can see that the join between the top and bottom cases are not even

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
No way... not the slightest possibility, besides... that hole is covered by the unfolded leg.
I concur with @slup on this point, looking at the photos from one end to the other, you can see that the case at the front of the drone is not in place, it looks like the drone ran into a solid object like a tree or a wall, which is why the top and bottom cases are not flush at the front of the craft.

If it's that important to fix use JB Weld putty or any other putty. Mold it in place and sand down and paint. Just make sure you don't interfere with any joints. Or look on ebay for a drone for parts and get another shell. I personally would just leave it as a battle scar.

Reactions: Torque
Or look on ebay for a drone for parts and get another shell. I personally would just leave it as a battle scar.
I agree with the "Battle Scar" as its right of passage…

However, getting a new shell is one thing, splitting the upper and lower shells is easier said than done. There are a bunch of "snaps" that are not easily "un-snap" look at several YouTube Videos before you attempt this. I'm not saying do not do this, just go in with the full knowledge of what it takes…

Fixing your wounded bird can be very satisfying…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13