DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 vs Mavic Air 2 - For Gutter Protection Company

A3 Drone

Reactions
Greetings fellow pilots,

New to the forum and need some advice. We run a gutter protection company and want to add some tech to our arsenal. The main use for the drone would be arial pictures of the roof/gutters and video of what it looks like inside the gutters. We want to start with one and then outfit the team. None of us have any experience with drones :). Caveat though using points we were able to pick up an MA2 for $800 out the door with the Fly More package. Would you recommend sticking with the MA2 or returning that to get the Mini 2?

Things to consider
1) Registration with FAA as we will be flying over 2-4 different homes a day
2) Its an additional thing to carry along
3) Picture and video quality
4) Ease of use
5) Noise level don't really want neighbors concerned about the drone in the air

Any input would be greatly appreciated to help a team of drone newbies make the best decision. Thanks and stay safe out there. Cheers!

JM

Welcome to the forum.
1 other thing to consider is are you aware you will have to have
a part 107 to use ether drone in your business.

I too was thinking M2Z, but with FMK, that's about $1500. I've used my M2Z to examine my roof and found what I thought were branches stuck on it was really skin and bone remains of a squirrel.

The next best thing would be the MA2.

The next best thing would be the MA2.
The MA2 will do fine...it’s quiet and now has a zoom function for video. You can then fly a safe altitude above the roof, to avoid any power/communication lines, vents and chimneys.

You guys can do group study for your FAA Commercial Drone Pilot certification.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation. You will find plenty of support for your questions.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland A3 Drone.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Registration with the FAA it’s no big deal. Just make sure you go to DroneZone and not one of the rip offs it should only be five dollars.

Since you will be flying commercially you will need to register any drone you fly.

The mini 2 should be fine for that.

Getting a part 107 is not difficult you can probably find an online course that you can all login and use.

Greetings, I own a chimney cleaning company and we have added the Mavic Air 2 and the Mavic Mini 2 to our vehicles. They have been a wonderful asset. The ability to discuss issues with photos and video with the customer is great. You do have to complete the part 107 exam and obtain licenses for all operators. Over all we have been delighted with the addition.

The mini wont handle as much wind. If you are needing to work to a schedule and not pick and choose optimal flight times that might be worth considering

Wow! I wasn't expecting this much feedback and I appreciate every single response - You guys are awesome. So far I have learned that no matter the drone we will need a 107 - Check.

The only issue now is the drone of choice. The MM2 is better priced but we did get an awesome deal on the one MA2 which we probably cant duplicate. While the MM2 is smaller easier to carry with you the other issues like wind, obstacle avoidance, and landing lights also come into the purview. The biggest draw for the mini was not needed much documentation to fly but it appears we will need a 107 regardless. The FAA license will also make the team look more professional which will help ease customers' minds. Ther is also the concern of having rookies fly expensive gear :) so the more pocket friend MM2 winds here. At the end of the day, you have to invest in the tools of your trade.
Greetings, I own a chimney cleaning company and we have added the Mavic Air 2 and the Mavic Mini 2 to our vehicles. They have been a wonderful asset. The ability to discuss issues with photos and video with the customer is great. You do have to complete the part 107 exam and obtain licenses for all operators. Over all we have been delighted with the addition.
Hello RMundy, thanks for chiming in do you see anything that makes one device better than the other? We have a similar use purpose so I'm interested to know. Thanks

JM, either are good choices both take great videos and pictures, noise levels should be about the same. The main things that the Mavic Air 2 have over the Mini 2 are, Better handling in stronger wind and forward obsticile (hope I spelled that correctly) avoidance, which could be a consideration with complicated gutter systems, trees, other buildings near by, etc.
You will probably need to have your 107 license because your using your drone for with your business. It's not a bad idea anyway, may cut back on liability issues. Plenty of YouTubers have 107 info for you to study.
Hope that helps some.
Good luck!

JM, either are good choices both take great videos and pictures, noise levels should be about the same. The main things that the Mavic Air 2 have over the Mini 2 are, Better handling in stronger wind and forward obsticile (hope I spelled that correctly) avoidance, which could be a consideration with complicated gutter systems, trees, other buildings near by, etc.
You will probably need to have your 107 license because your using your drone for with your business. It's not a bad idea anyway, may cut back on liability issues. Plenty of YouTubers have 107 info for you to study.
Hope that helps some.
Good luck!
Hello Tomcat,

Thanks for chiming in. I went ahead and purchased a Mini 2 and flew both of them. I was taken aback by how small and compact the Mini 2 is especially when folded and strapped up. We took turns flying both and comparing images. For what we need it to do both will accomplish the task easily. Being first-time fliers we decided to go with the Mini 2 with DJI refresh this way we can learn, and replace at affordable prices. By this time next year, we will be much better and be able to upgrade to better drones. We will start small and grow in time. Thanks everyone for their help and advice. Final note the Mini is an astonishing piece of engineering for what it can do.

Hello guys,

Just wanted to update you on the situation with the drones. We have been using them for a couple of weeks and the results have been illuminating. When you can show a customer what their gutters look like from up above and how the pitch of their roof affects the distribution of leaves, pine needles etc its priceless. We have Minis and one was crashed in the first few flights and has battle scars :) but still going and it has DJI refresh so its covered. Thank you again for taking the time to help us make the choices. Have an awesome day and Merry Xmas to everyone

WELCOME to the forum :)

Yes I'm late to the game LOL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slitsling69