DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2

Where did you purchase the drone ? You will need the previous owner to unbind the drone from their account Ebay has a rule about selling drones in that condition and if that's how you got it I would contact the seller and then them.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Hello from the Crossroads of America Teece90.

Looks like you're getting good advice so far.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

If the seller is not the binder and if the drone is, or will be, grounded then you will need to contact DJI and ask them to contact the binder. DJI will need the drone's serial number VIA PM etc. on the DJI forum - do not publish the drone's serial number in public.
Was this an ebay purchase?

Can you post a copy and paste of that rule or its location please?
Per Ebay rules for sellers:
You're required to:

• Specify the condition of the item

• Describe any defects or flaws in the item – this helps avoid problems or buyer dissatisfaction
The seller should be aware that the buyer cannot use the drone until it is removed from the sellers account -This I think could be termed a "flaw"- unless of course the seller will email the info to the buyer. Maybe since the pic has the Email address on it someone could explain this to the seller?

You're required to:
  • Describe any defects or flaws in the item – this helps avoid problems or buyer dissatisfaction
The seller should be aware that the buyer cannot use the drone until it is removed from the sellers account -This I think could be termed a "flaw"- unless of course the seller will email the info to the buyer. Maybe since the pic has the Email address on it someone could explain this to the seller?
Thanks

@Yorkshire_Pud
"Do you get any warnings about the drone being grounded in the near future?"

"If the seller is not the binder and if the drone is, or will be, grounded then you will need to contact DJI and ask them to contact the binder."

For my knowledge he should be able to fly-it it right now, but there can be a time out, etc?
Anyways, I will stay silent for now.

Rod ..

@Teece90
BTW, These members are good.
Welcome to the Forum. 👌

Rod ..

@Teece90 has not responded to any of the questions yet so we do not know how he acquired it… Another member who recently joined the forum also bought a used Mini 2 that had not been unbound from the original seller's account… The Member bought it from a Pawn Shop and it had been damaged, he had sent it back to DJI for repair and in the confusion of the submission and the repair estimate, the drone was still under the original owners care refresh and it was replaced with a new one (possibly a rehab) that had to be bound and it all worked out fine for him…

DJI seems to have a confusing response to notifying previous owners about this. I have hears that they responded quickly and I've heard that they do not do this… I guess it depends on who reads and answers the email or phone call.

I found a DJI drone for sale on ebay that was for sale and the seller wrote that they found it and even included a photo of the serial number. I contacted DJI and they did contact the original owner… I posted this on the our site for all to see…

Let's hope the new member is not stuck with a useless drone…

@Yorkshire_Pud
"Do you get any warnings about the drone being grounded in the near future?"

"If the seller is not the binder and if the drone is, or will be, grounded then you will need to contact DJI and ask them to contact the binder."

For my knowledge he should be able to fly-it it right now, but there can be a time out, etc?
Anyways, I will stay silent for now.
I believe that if the drone is bound for Flyaway insurance purposes or perhaps care refresh purposes, then it will only fly if the app is logged into the account to which the drone is bound. I do not know what would happen if an attempt was made to fly the drone without the app running or [not] logged in. I am sure that someone will correct mr if I am mistaken.
With this type/level of binding I believe the controller CAN be bound to the drone and MUST be bound to the drone for Flyaway insurance to be valid.
However, even with the App logged into the correct account, if the controller is either the 'wrong' controller or not bound to the drone then I think the pilot is limited to a total of 5 flights before the drone is grounded.

There is a 'weaker' form of binding which may be available to any model of drone that can be bound, this binding does nothing that I could see and I could not bind the controller to the drone, there was no option to do that. I tried this with a Mini 2 for which there was no care-refresh/flyaway-insurance. I could fly the drone with the app logged into any DJI account available to me and any applicable controller.
If the OP has the latter form of binding then the binding is of no consequence other than being an annoyance.

EDIT typos corrected.

Last edited:
You're required to:

Thanks, whilst I agree that a drone, grounded through binding and sold in the "used" or "new" category, would be open to a "not as described" against the seller, I was wondering if ebay now explicitly mentioned binding in their T&C ?

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Please keep us updated on your situation

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64