DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 cooling while powered on.

3rdof5

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Greetings Pilots,
My new Mini 3 (not the Pro) will be arriving in the next few days.
I'm expecting it will need a FW update out of the box while binding it to my DJI RC and from what I've read on these little birds is they need cooling when on with no props running (something I'm used to with my P3P).
I'm thinking its probably best to have a fan on it on first setup.
Opinions?
Any other mini 3 quirks I should know about?

Reactions: Dronecation
The use of a fan is good idea but why update firmware? Is there some advantage to newer firmware?

Reactions: 3rdof5
One thing I would also like to ask, from my reading, the Mini 3 was actually released AFTER the Mini 3 Pro?
If that's true it seems odd the mini 3 Pro is compatible with the DJI RC Pro but the mini 3 is not. Yet both are supported by the DJI RC.
Odd....

Greetings Pilots,
I'm expecting it will need a FW update out of the box while binding it to my DJI RC and from what I've read on these little birds is they need cooling when on with no props running (something I'm used to with my P3P).
Opinions?
When I bought my Mini 3 Pro (drone only) I had trouble binding it to my RC Pro controller even though I followed all of the instructions. I even contacted DJI support and although they were helpful, I still could not get it to bind. I have an old thread on here on what I did to eventually solve the problem but here's a summary:

Problem: Firmware mismatch between new Mini 3 Pro and RC Pro

•My RC Pro was updated with the latest firmware and bound to my Mavic 3, the Mini 3 was not on the latest firmware.
•I could not update the Mini 3 firmware using DJI Assistant 2 because my laptop was not fast enough (has USB 2 ports and Mini 3 has USB 3) so the update kept failing and I did not have another faster computer with USB 3 ports.

Solution:
•Used my RC-N1 controller that came with my Mavic 3 and my iPhone that had DJI Fly on it, paired it with my Mini 3 and was able to update the firmware on the drone.
•I was then able to bind the Mini 3 Pro to the RC Pro controller and have not had a single problem since.

With regard to having a fan on the Mini 3 as others have said, yes it's a good idea as the drone will get hot if you don't.

Chris

One thing I would also like to ask, from my reading, the Mini 3 was actually released AFTER the Mini 3 Pro?
If that's true it seems odd the mini 3 Pro is compatible with the DJI RC Pro but the mini 3 is not. Yet both are supported by the DJI RC.
Odd....
I believe it has to do with the Occusync versions supported.

The Mini 3 supports DJI O2, whereas the Mini 3 Pro supports DJI O3. The RC Pro transmission system is DJI O3+

Chris

When I bought my Mini 3 Pro (drone only) I had trouble binding it to my RC Pro controller even though I followed all of the instructions. I even contacted DJI support and although they were helpful, I still could not get it to bind. I have an old thread on here on what I did to eventually solve the problem but here's a summary:

Problem: Firmware mismatch between new Mini 3 Pro and RC Pro

•My RC Pro was updated with the latest firmware and bound to my Mavic 3, the Mini 3 was not on the latest firmware.
•I could not update the Mini 3 firmware using DJI Assistant 2 because my laptop was not fast enough (has USB 2 ports and Mini 3 has USB 3) so the update kept failing and I did not have another faster computer with USB 3 ports.

Solution:
•Used my RC-N1 controller that came with my Mavic 3 and my iPhone that had DJI Fly on it, paired it with my Mini 3 and was able to update the firmware on the drone.
•I was then able to bind the Mini 3 Pro to the RC Pro controller and have not had a single problem since.

With regard to having a fan on the Mini 3 as others have said, yes it's a good idea as the drone will get hot if you don't.

Chris
As you know my DJI RC has the latest FW but I do have a laptop with USB 3 so if I have to use DJI Assistant 2 it won't be problem.
Also I won't be trying to bind the mini 3 Pro, I will just be binding the mimi 3. Will see what happens....

Last edited:
As you know my DJI RC has the latest FW but I do have a laptop with USB 3 so if I have to use DJI Assistant 2 it won't be problem.
You should be ok if you have to use your USB3 laptop. I kept getting speed errors because the firmware update from the laptop could not keep up with the speed demand from the Mini 3. Thankfully I kept my RC-N1 or my Mini 3 would have been on its way back to the vendor.

Chris

Greetings Pilots,
Opinions?
I use a neck fan when updating, cheers Len

Attachments

• DE358631-A280-46CD-9B1A-11FBD965334F.jpeg
    DE358631-A280-46CD-9B1A-11FBD965334F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 26
I never really had an issue with it overheating during updates, BUT, after the update that provided 48mp Photo Mode, my Mini 3 started producing a "Shadow Line" in most of the vertical 48mp images. 2, to 3, out of every 5 photos had the line, no matter what changes I made (camera settings, changed sd card, refreshed the Firmware, etc).
I contacted DJI, told them the problem, sent them a few example photos, and, they started a Warranty Replacement Claim.
For my trouble, they're including a free battery, when it returns. 😀
Just be sure to check EVERYTHING, THOROUGHLY, as soon as it arrives, and, if you find any issues, contact them, immediately.

Mini 3 arrived today!
Definitely glad I had a cooling fan on it during first powerup. Took some time for FW update, which it didn’t have out of the box, but even with the older FW it bound immediately to my DJI RC which was already at the latest FW. No issues connecting or binding at all.
Sweet little bird, flies perfectly and handles the wind quite well actually. It's immediately obvious she has to respond quicker and stronger than the bigger birds need to in the wind, but holds her own very well.
Nicely impressed.

Mini 3 arrived today!
Definitely glad I had a cooling fan on it during first powerup. Took some time for FW update, which it didn’t have out of the box, but even with the older FW it bound immediately to my DJI RC which was already at the latest FW. No issues connecting or binding at all.
Sweet little bird, flies perfectly and handles the wind quite well actually. It's immediately obvious she has to respond quicker and stronger than the bigger birds need to in the wind, but holds her own very well.
Nicely impressed.
Seeing as you are in Alberta [oilers won tonight-yea] you could update outside as it is still cool out your way.

For my trouble, they're including a free battery, when it returns. 😀
Ahhhhh... you got the new ChatGPT version of their support service.

No real human DJI support associate would make such a mistake.

• Haha
Reactions: 1TenaciousG
Ahhhhh... you got the new ChatGPT version of their support service.

No real human DJI support associate would make such
No "mistakes" were made here, and, it wasn't some bot.
I spoke to a live Associate, by email, and by telephone, actually.
It's amazing what a well-worded, poilte, email will do for you. I learned that back when my original Air 2 arrived with a faulty Cooling Fan. (They sent me 3 free sets of props, and, a DJI RC-N1 Tablet Mount, for My trouble, on that one. 😁)

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
No "mistakes" were made here, and, it wasn't some bot.
I spoke to a live Associate, by email, and by telephone, actually.
It's amazing what a well-worded, poilte, email will do for you. I learned that back when my original Air 2 arrived with a faulty Cooling Fan. (They sent me 3 free sets of props, and, a DJI RC-N1 Tablet Mount, for My trouble, on that one. 😁)
I'm happy for ya, don't doubt it!

But there's no doubt you were "handled" by DJIchatGPT... your excellent support experience is indisputable proof!

😁😁😁

Don't worry, the AI support agent will get just as bad and useless after they finish training the Large Language Model on archived support calls and emails. Takes a while. The AI is still innocent and thinks being a support agent means you actually solve customer's support issues.

Never fear, they're working on fixing that issue.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe Horn
I'm happy for ya, don't doubt it!

But there's no doubt you were "handled" by DJIchatGPT... your excellent support experience is indisputable proof!

😁😁😁

Don't worry, the AI support agent will get just as bad and useless after they finish training the Large Language Model on archived support calls and emails. Takes a while. The AI is still innocent and thinks being a support agent means you actually solve customer's support issues.

Never fear, they're working on fixing that issue.
So, 2 years ago, when I received the Air 2 Tablet Mount, and the three sets of props, for the defective cooling fan, THAT was "ChatGPT", as well?
Either way, I'm happy with the outcome, and, it's nice to see a company (or bot. Lol) that actually stands behind their products.

Nicely impressed.
Glad you got everything connected without any issues.

When I first got my Mini 3 Pro, I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely it flew and handled. I wish I would have had it when we went to Newfoundland last summer. It would have been a great complement to the Mavic 3.

Having done numerous flights with it, I have learned that it is quite capable at handling a stiff wind as long as I am aware of its limits and keep it within VLOS so that I don't loose it. One thing I have learned is that take-offs and landings can be much more difficult in gusty wind conditions compared to my Mavic 3 so I prefer to hand launch and catch most of the time in these conditions.

I have two regular batteries but am strongly considering the purchase of a plus battery for those times when I don't have my Mavic 3 with me but still meet the requirements of my Basic licence. Handy for longer timelapses/hyperlapses or when longer shooting times are needed. Best of both worlds in one drone!!

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom