DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro , Extra batteries charging question...

MavicMike55

Reactions
I've searched these forums and haven't found an answer to this....

I have gotten my FMK already, but it'll be a couple more days before I get the drone. So, I would like to know if anyone can tell me if it's ok to charge up the batteries in the FMK with the charging hub, so they'll be ready to use when the drone gets here. Or, do they require the first charge to be done through the drone? Thanks for any input you can give me here. 👍

I would follow the instructions in the manual, for two reasons.
1) they are the instructions that DJI issue.
2) Any forced charging delay will give you time to familiarise yourself with the drone and controller and to compare what you have read in the manual with what you have in your hands.

Academic reading is all well and good but having the things in your hands is another matter

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
I've searched these forums and haven't found an answer to this....

I have gotten my FMK already, but it'll be a couple more days before I get the drone. So, I would like to know if anyone can tell me if it's ok to charge up the batteries in the FMK with the charging hub, so they'll be ready to use when the drone gets here. Or, do they require the first charge to be done through the drone? Thanks for any input you can give me here. 👍
You have the Fly More kit before the drone? The irony…

I would follow the instructions in the manual, for two reasons.
1) they are the instructions that DJI issue.
2) Any forced charging delay will give you time to familiarise yourself with the drone and controller and to compare what you have read in the manual with what you have in your hands.

Academic reading is all well and good but having the things in your hands is another matter
Yes, my friend, I totally agree with you. And, FYI, I have already read through the manual a number of times in preparation for when I finally get this drone. BUT, it is not clear in the manual if it is necessary to charge a new battery for the first time IN THE DRONE or in the HUB. Thus, my posting the question here.

I had the same question. There's TONS of vids on youtube about the subject.
This vid is probably at least one of the best relating to battery maintenance.
We (I) use his teachings and can verify that his info is accurate. I am draining my batteries tonight for tomorrows 4rth of July parade. Always works.
I know your original question was about

Mini 3 Pro , Extra batteries charging question...​

But this is a universal question and solution.
Good luck and Safe Flying!

Yes, my friend, I totally agree with you. And, FYI, I have already read through the manual a number of times in preparation for when I finally get this drone. BUT, it is not clear in the manual if it is necessary to charge a new battery for the first time IN THE DRONE or in the HUB. Thus, my posting the question here.
I see you point but the only reference that I can find concerning where to charge them is in the drone's manual and says "All Intelligent Flight Batteries are in hibernation mode before shipment to ensure safety. Connect the USB charger to the USB-C port on the aircraft to charge and activate the Intelligent Flight Batteries for the first time." Other references to charging, including batteries that have gone back into hibernation, do not give a location.
Mention of activation may be significant and, speculating, might require 'stuff' that is not in the hub.
BTW I was making no implication about whether you have or have not read the manual. What I was attempting to say was, that when you have the equipment in your hands you may find things that you did not 'catch' on equipment-less read throughs.

Last edited:
when you put the batteries in the hub to charge them ,the hub cycles through the batteries,and decides which battery has the most charge left ,and then charges that one first
and so on till they are all charged but because the new batteries are in hibernation mode ,this could cause an issue for the hub ,i first charged my batteries in the drone, till i had two lights solid to activate them ,then used the hub to fully charge them ,

In the drone.

"All Intelligent Flight Batteries are in hibernation mode before shipment to ensure safety. Connect the USB charger to the USB-C port on the aircraft to charge and activate the Intelligent Flight Batteries for the first time."

I am draining my batteries tonight for tomorrows 4rth of July parade. Always works.
I'm curious about what this means, but not quite curious enough to watch a 32-minute video. Would you summarize what was suggested? A routine discharge/recharge cycle?

Thanks.

I'm curious about what this means, but not quite curious enough to watch a 32-minute video. Would you summarize what was suggested? A routine discharge/recharge cycle?

Thanks.
I like to "reset" my batteries occasionally. Especially when I notice flight times getting a bit shorter than I would expect. Or maybe a battery isn't charging as good as I would expect.

When I am ready to do it after a flight, I'll just let the drone "Idle" on the ground (at home in a shady place) until everything stops and the battery power indicator is no longer illuminating. There is always some residual power in the intelligent batteries... (Unless they are otherwise damaged) So this process does not damage the battery. It can, in fact, extend battery life substantially.

Once the battery has cooled to room temperature and I am preparing to do another flight, I will simply charge the battery until it is fully "topped off" and go fly! That's it.

On July 4 2022.. I had 30 minute flight times on the 2 batteries I "reset" and 21 minute flight times on the 2 I did not "reset". All four batteries are 2 years old.

The relevant part of the video is @ 17 minutes for 2 - 3 minutes and is a better explanation with references. Totally worth seeing.

Last edited:
I like to "reset" my batteries occasionally. Especially when I notice flight times getting a bit shorter than I would expect. Or maybe a battery isn't charging as good as I would expect.

When I am ready to do it after a flight, I'll just let the drone "Idle" on the ground (at home in a shady place) until everything stops and the battery power indicator is no longer illuminating. There is always some residual power in the intelligent batteries... (Unless they are otherwise damaged) So this process does not damage the battery. It can, in fact, extend battery life substantially.

Once the battery has cooled to room temperature and I am preparing to do another flight, I will simply charge the battery until it is fully "topped off" and go fly! That's it.

On July 4 2022.. I had 35 minute flight times on the 2 batteries I "reset" and 28 minute flight times on the 2 I did not "reset". All four batteries are 2 years old.

The relevant part of the video is @ 17 minutes for 2 - 3 minutes and is a better explanation with references. Totally worth seeing.
Thanks.

Reactions: @Rip
My Fly More Plus kit arrived on June 4th, the drone on June 6th.
I fully charged my batteries in the charger on the 5th. When the drone arrived on the 6th I was able to do the firmware updates without any overheating since the battery wasn't hot from being freshly charged.
I would not only recommend but advise you to charge the batteries and have them ready for the drone's arrival.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samdesign