DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Range Test?

Providing the aircraft has the box onboard not all of them do.I find its about 50% of aircraft have it when flying
my air 2.So helpful yes,but not a cure all by any means.
Actually, if you are receiving ADS-B from any aircraft where there is an ADS-B ground station – just about everywhere there is an airport with a staffed, operating tower – you will receive all the traffic in the area on radar being tracked by ATC. Including traffic not carrying and ADS-B Out transceiver.

This is a deliberate feature in the design of the system to maximize traffic information for all pilots, drones to 747s.

Soon all manned aircraft will be required to be equipped with ADS-B Out, giving situational awareness far better than VLOS in most urban locations.

Actually, if you are receiving ADS-B from any aircraft where there is an ADS-B ground station – just about everywhere there is an airport with a staffed, operating tower – you will receive all the traffic in the area on radar being tracked by ATC. Including traffic not carrying and ADS-B Out transceiver.

This is a deliberate feature in the design of the system to maximize traffic information for all pilots, drones to 747s.

Soon all manned aircraft will be required to be equipped with ADS-B Out, giving situational awareness far better than VLOS in most urban locations.
Yes providing the airport has a staffed operating tower,which our local airport does not.
and I am sure there are enough other airports that also do not have towers.So then why do some
aircraft have it and some do not.The question still remains.Which still puts what I receive at around 50%
that broadcast it in our area.Yes some other areas may have full coverage,and I get that,but not all do .

"Soon all manned aircraft will be required to be equipped with ADS-B Out, "

Are you saying that there's an expansion now in progress or planned for the FAA to require ADS-B Out in all manned aircraft? Or is that a casual expectation of some future change?

You will have to wait for private people to get their hands on the Mini3 and post some meaningfull reviews.

Right now eveything on the net are paid YT infulencers BS, copycat same mumbo jumbo DJI pointless reviews.(good to finf out specs only)

Notice, day ago was: "high wind test" everyone at once had the same idea of doing high wind test.... please...

This influencing makes me wanna vomit, independent reviews no longet are even pumped by the YT feed, all paid nonsense for the mases.

I know three of the “influencers” and they definitely are not paid. All three of them spend hours and hours over, at least a 6 week period, in order to present their findings. It’s definitely not a lucrative job.

Reactions: Stach
"Soon all manned aircraft will be required to be equipped with ADS-B Out, "

Are you saying that there's an expansion now in progress or planned for the FAA to require ADS-B Out in all manned aircraft? Or is that a casual expectation of some future change?
I'm saying this, from the FAA:

"You must be equipped with ADS-B Out to fly in most controlled airspace"

This has been the rule since 2020.

And what I'm sharing here that many don't know, is that ALL traffic being tracked through radar by ATC is also forwarded to receivers by ADS-B Out equipped aircraft. Everything.

Does this mean it's guaranteed all aircraft everywhere over the US will be equipped with ADS-B Out? Of course not! Don't be so ridiculous. However, it's tough to do much more than crop-dusting without one.

What it means is where there is meaningful risk of other aircraft virtually always there will be complete traffic information available to ADS-B receiver equipped drones. To great benefit.

Where this data is not available, with rare exception it will be where the risk flying your drone is vanishingly small.

Does this mean it's guaranteed all aircraft everywhere over the US will be equipped with ADS-B Out? Of course not! Don't be so ridiculous. However, it's tough to do much more than crop-dusting without one.

You said, "Soon all manned aircraft will be required to be equipped with ADS-B Out, "\

What it means is where there is meaningful risk of other aircraft virtually always there will be complete traffic information available to ADS-B receiver equipped drones. To great benefit.

Where this data is not available, with rare exception it will be where the risk flying your drone is vanishingly small.

Agreed. But there is no known expansion on the horizon expansion of the requirements to include all manned aircraft

You said, "Soon all manned aircraft will be required to be equipped with ADS-B Out, "\

Agreed. But there is no known expansion on the horizon expansion of the requirements to include all manned aircraft
correct. I misspoke.

The salient point was the comprehensive traffic view available to drone pilots with ADS-B in high traffic (i.e. high risk) areas.

@Chaosrider may not be receiving ADS-B data where he flies, but then the risk of an encounter with a manned aircraft, that his legacy sensors fail to detect is very low.

Last edited:
Ran a test today - pretty happy with the results as I was able to push to 2000m while maintaining a strong signal. Didn't go further because I don't foresee a real life situation where I'd need to fly that far

Attachments

• 5E583EFC-833A-4DE3-BB83-A9D6418262EE.jpeg
    5E583EFC-833A-4DE3-BB83-A9D6418262EE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
After one month of flying, I conclude that the Mini 3 Pro with the RC expects a more accurate alignment in comparison to my M2P with the SC for good reception. Addtionally, foliage and similiar obstacles weaken the signal faster and turning your drone 180 ° so that the rear faces the RC shows some reduction too.

All in all, nothing to worry about, just to be aware of.
My experiences are with CE and mostly within dense urban to suburban areas (dual-band with switching is working properly).

Comes time, probably comes hack and I pretty much suspect with FCC it would be a bit better.

Range test today with Mini 3 PRO on DJI RC .... quality is not good, as it is the screen record from the DJI RC ...I also had a Mini 2 with the N1, and the best range I got with that was just over 3k's ... the point being that many have mentioned that the DJI RC has poor performance due to lack of external antennas ... I think this proves that that is incorrect ... and yes, I have exceptional eyesight for an 80 year old, and I could visually see the drone at all times .... actually went out to a bit over 5400 metres, but video was starting to break up ... also, can someone explain to me what the arrows on the Home icon mean .. it changes between blue and green ... is this the way I am pointing the controller? If so, it appears that I was never actually pointing directly at the drone? Video at :

if you read the RC specs you will see that they now have 4 antennas in the RC for control and image transmission /reception
if you think about it the controller that comes with the mini 2 and A2 s and the Mini 3 as an option has similar antennas in tho top of the device holder, and they seem to work ok
the drone also has 4 antennas for me it is a good idea to have the antennas hidden in the RC they are out of harms way
as you say most of the cheap copy cat type drones that appear to have antennas that fold out ,in reality they are just dummies ,trying to emulate a more expensive drone
with every passing iteration of drones that come onto the market, the technology inside them, and the RC transmission protocols are getting smaller and more sophisticated as time goes by
this is evident in all electronic products not just drones
2 antennas in the RC and 4 in the drone.

That's hard to believe you could see it at 3 1/3 miles.
It's not physiologically possible. The density of rods on the retina do not support discrimination of anything that subtends an arc less than 0.008°, and is claiming to be able to resolve 0.0015°. This means he is claiming 6x the rod density in his retina, with 6x the neurological density in his optic nerve, 6x the signal processing capability in his visual cortex, and more impossibility.

More simply put, it's like claiming your digital camera can capture detail 1/6 the size of a pixel.

People with near perfect optics (20/10 vision, exceedingly rare) can at best just barely resolve a 5 inch object at 3000 ft, about 3/5 of a mile. That's the physiological limit, with perfect vision.

It's not physiologically possible. The density of rods on the retina do not support discrimination of anything that subtends an arc less than 0.008°, and is claiming to be able to resolve 0.0015°. This means he is claiming 6x the rod density in his retina, with 6x the neurological density in his optic nerve, 6x the signal processing capability in his visual cortex, and more impossibility.

More simply put, it's like claiming your digital camera can capture detail 1/6 the size of a pixel.

People with near perfect optics (20/10 vision, exceedingly rare) can at best just barely resolve a 5 inch object at 3000 ft, about 3/5 of a mile. That's the physiological limit, with perfect vision.
We are talking about superman here remember.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom