DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 pro create a spiral waypoints

woody565

Reactions
Hi all,

I used to have a Mavic Air 2 and would use Maven to create a spiral waypoints for lightpainting around features.

I have just bought a mini 4 pro but Maven doesn't support it yet. Is there any way to get the same results? export a maven waypoints file and convert it for dji etc?

thanks for any advice

Dan

Reactions: PeterPatrick
I don't own a Mini 4, but I understand that DJI does offer waypoint flight plan capabilities for the Mini 4, as it does for the Mavic 3 family and the Air 3. Amazingly the Mini 4 will continue a waypoint mission even if signal connectivity to the controller is lost, unlike my Mini 3 which I erroneously THOUGHT would have that key capability, leaving me with no option but to put the Mini 3 up for sale due to that unexpected limitation. Talk about buyer's remorse. I digress.

Creating a spiral-shaped flight path with an ascending vertical profile should thus be possible with the Mini 4, simply by plotting the waypoints with progressive increments in altitude specified for each waypoint in succession until the maximum 1,500 feet AGL altitude cap is attained, at which point the flight path can spiral back down with each successive waypoint set at a lower altitude.

I created several spiral flight paths using l Litchi as described here when I sought to explore the altitude limit of my older DJI drones, so I imagine a similar procedure should be possible with DJI's native waypoint facility.

Last edited:
I used to have a Mavic Air 2 and would use Maven to create a spiral waypoints for lightpainting around features.

I have just bought a mini 4 pro but Maven doesn't support it yet. Is there any way to get the same results? export a maven waypoints file and convert it for dji etc?
I have a suite of utilities that include:
  • Spiral mission creator
  • Litchi mission to DJI Waypoints converter
  • Light painting utilities

Thanks for the replies.

@DJ Wes I have had a look at you apps, they are great thanks.

So it's possible to use your spiral mission creator and export for mini 4 pro? a quick question, how accurate is google earth? if I plan spiral around a light house will it accurate in the air? or is there a possibility of a slight offset from real life to google coordinates?

is it possible to adjust for an error in the DJI fly app by moving the waypoint the spiral is based around?

So it's possible to use your spiral mission creator and export for mini 4 pro?
Yes.

a quick question, how accurate is google earth?
Google Earth is as accurate as any mapping software that uses GPS coordinates and a map such as Litchi, Maven, Dronelink, etc.

if I plan spiral around a light house will it accurate in the air? or is there a possibility of a slight offset from real life to google coordinates?
There is always the possibility of a slight deviation from the path you expect. However, unless you plan a flight path within a few meters of a structure, you probably won't notice. Typically, spirals (or other flight paths) are designed well away from the structure the drone is looking at.

is it possible to adjust for an error in the DJI fly app by moving the waypoint the spiral is based around?
Yes, but it would be better to do all of your adjustments and tweaking in Litchi's Mission Hub as you plan the mission.

Brilliant, it sounds perfect for what I want to do.

Thanks for taking the time to offer advice, it's greatly appreciated

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J