DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini in the wind !

horesham

Reactions
Before I consider buying one, my only concern with the Mavic Mini is it's performance in the wind - can any existing users provide me with their experiences please ? Thanks

Reactions: old man mavic
Before I consider buying one, my only concern with the Mavic Mini is it's performance in the wind - can any existing users provide me with their experiences please ? Thanks
A lot of flyaways due to unexpected gust esp flying the mini higher. The mini due to its weight could be blown away easily. It has its own capabilities but push it beyond its boundaries and you will find yourself in tears. If you want a drone to fly in strong wind, buy something larger with a bit of weight. If you are like me, just want to take pictures and videos with the minis capabilities, then go ahead and purchase one. Read and read, learn from the mistakes of others and you will be rewarded. If you want numbers, there are a lot of threads and youtube videos to watch. Happy flying on whatever you decided to buy. I fly model helicopters/foam planes and accustomed to fly vlos. The mini is new to me and not very confident flying farther using the app screen. I have plenty of experience flying in the wind but the mini based on what I did could not stand very strong wind.

If you are trying to stay on a budget and within the DJI platform, you can probably find a used Spark out there for a bit of a discount right now. It'll be a bit sturdier generally and has quite a bit more weight to it.

the MM is really a small light drone for close up picture taking, in a 600 ft to 800 ft raidious of the home point,in c mode it flies very smoothly and will produce some great footage,its main attribute is its portability ,and is ideal for those odd moments when you see something interesting to film,it compliments my MPP and i am happy flying it in amongst trees and tight spots where i would not like my MPP to go, there are not a lot of small drones out there with its flight time and 3 axis gimbal camera combination, although there will be many copies coming out soon you can bet,

Hi,
It's not exactly a problem of weight but more a problem of maximum power of the aircraft to fight the wind ! In a certain sens, it's related to weight as more power certainly need heavier motor/proppelers and battery !

As the maximum speed is not very high for the mini, the maximum wind supported is not very high too! And personaly i have question regarding the ability to maintain the maximum speed during the whole lenght of the battery duration....

But if you something light to put in your backpack, stunning photo/video, and with 25 min of flight, but limited in windy condition, then the Mini is for you!
If you prefere something that can flight with more wind, there are plenty of choice depending of what you want to do exactly.

If you're going to fly above the 18mph limit, then you need to fly smart. Position yourself downwind so your outbound leg is into the wind - give yourself an easy time on returning back home downwind. The worse thing you can do is to fly downwind, get to 30% power and then fly into a 20mph headwind gusting 30.

Its 249g its an ultralight drone according to DJI its supposed to handle wind up to 8 m/s ( approx. 18mph or 29 kph ) however keep in mind a few rules. Use a few apps ( UAV Forecast ) to get an idea of what the winds are at the different heights ( to your legally allowed max for your geographic region ) .. what appears to be calm at ground level can be quite different at 50m or 100m. Also if at all possible fly into the wind , yes you will loose some power vs distance but your return home at least will be with the wind and not against it. Also if you can drop the height safely to get lower and hopefully less wind closer to ground level.

Reactions: netsonic
Just to say it short without mixing in proper flight behavior which include to always fly according to the current circumstances ...

The Mini are the least forgiving of all in the Mavic series (+Spark) when it comes to wind resistance ... you don't have any headroom above the max wind spec, push it & you will lose it.
If you want bigger margins & yet not give up portability ... find a slightly used Mavic Air.

Reactions: netsonic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joel_du05