DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini lost connection and landed over open water - You can't believe how this panned out

heo3480

Reactions
You can't believe how this played out :)

One of my friends experienced a lost connection between the remote and the Mavic Mini over open water at a low altitude, combining this with a pilot error was a dangerous combination making a disaster imminent.

Yeah ...the guy was lucky, but most of the conclusions in the clip is wrong together with all comments wondering why the AC didn't failsafe RTH though.

As seen at 2:32 the app clearly says RC not connected to the mobile device. Meaning this wasn't a RC-AC disconnect. At the time were he lost the live stream he was descending from a very low height above the ice/water (from just a tad above 0,5m probably) then he kept the stick down & the Mini landed & shut off the motors. This is confirmed at 4:38 where we see that the HP have been updated, which only happens with a motor restart.

WTFH doesn't this guy put chuffing subtitles on his blooming videos?????????
Some of his stuff looks like it could be useful but it's blinking useless to the deaf with out them unless they can lip read!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Yes he has been asked.

As you may have gathered this ticks me off and sorry for the 'swearing'.

Reactions: hiflyer201
well... you may already know the tip but under a full blown browser YT can auto generate subtitles and even auto-translate them to a different language.

Reactions: kidroc and Tel
WTFH doesn't this guy put chuffing subtitles on his blooming videos?????????
Some of his stuff looks like it could be useful but it's blinking useless to the deaf with out them unless they can lip read!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Yes he has been asked.

As you may have gathered this ticks me off and sorry for the 'swearing'.
Sorry to piss you off, but this is not something I do on purpose. I'm not sure you really know how much work goes into running a youtube channel so not part parts get equal attention. As @m80116 is suggesting you can auto YT can auto-generate subtitles, may I suggest you check that out

Hi thank you very much for for replying, it is appreciated.
I have absolutely no idea how much work is involved in running a you tube channel.
But, with regards to the subtitles, I think I am clicking on the button/s that display auto generated subtitles.
With your videos neither? are present. The 3 button menu reveals only the report button.
Please see the screen captures.
If I am not clicking on the appropriate thing PLEASE show me what to click on, I really would like to access them.

If the contents of your videos were rubbish then it would not matter but there have been several of your videos referenced in here that looked to have been informative but which are completely 'unuseful' to me and probably other deaf, non lip reading fliers too. So take my frustrations as a compliment.
They are potential subscribers, if they 'suffer' similar 'annoyance' to me I doubt they subscribe.

Attachments

• TECH DRONE MEDIA videos.png
    TECH DRONE MEDIA videos.png
    293.7 KB · Views: 20
  • videos with subtitles.png
    videos with subtitles.png
    235.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah.... Another lucky one.

Yeah ...the guy was lucky, but most of the conclusions in the clip is wrong together with all comments wondering why the AC didn't failsafe RTH though.

As seen at 2:32 the app clearly says RC not connected to the mobile device. Meaning this wasn't a RC-AC disconnect. At the time were he lost the live stream he was descending from a very low height above the ice/water (from just a tad above 0,5m probably) then he kept the stick down & the Mini landed & shut off the motors. This is confirmed at 4:38 where we see that the HP have been updated, which only happens with a motor restart.
This is also a good reminder of why VLOS is important. If he had eyes on the aircraft, he would have seen exactly what happened and probably been able to cancel the landing.

Rather weirdly I too have found that some videos have no buttons for subtitles auto-generation, yet I haven't got a glue as to why that happens.

I think I have seen a post, in youtube, where the channel owner had been asked for subtitles, for deaf viewers, and I think the channel owner mentioned switching them on in future. I don't remember if the video concerned had subtitles when I saw it.

If the contents of your videos were rubbish then it would not matter but there have been several of your videos referenced in here that looked to have been informative but which are completely 'unuseful' to me and probably other deaf, non lip reading fliers too. So take my frustrations as a compliment.
Philius, I feel for you I really do. I watch video's with my deaf friend and I swear I don't know how you guys can keep up with auto generated captions. There are so many errors in translation. Just keep complaining it has to get better. The hard of hearing need super loud voices to wake people up to the help that is needed and is completely lacking all across the board.
You're right...Henrick has some pretty cool videos.

Philius, I feel for you I really do. I watch video's with my deaf friend and I swear I don't know how you guys can keep up with auto generated captions. There are so many errors in translation. Just keep complaining it has to get better. The hard of hearing need super loud voices to wake people up to the help that is needed and is completely lacking all across the board.
You're right...Henrick has some pretty cool videos.
I run interesting YT videos at 50% or 75% speed, even then it often takes quite a few rewinds, if I am getting really stuffed I use the transcript option shown in the second screen capture, pointed to by the red lines.
The auto subtitles can be infutriating and or ridiculus, which does not help.
Even with good ones the need to read the subtitles distracts the eye from the video and vice versa.

I run interesting YT videos at 50% or 75% speed, even then it often takes quite a few rewinds, if I am getting really stuffed I use the transcript option shown in the second screen capture, pointed to by the red lines.
The auto subtitles can be infutriating and or ridiculus, which does not help.
Even with good ones the need to read the subtitles distracts the eye from the video and vice versa.
Not wanting to go much with this as it's personal, but have you tried a speech to text app for your phone or computer? Are they worth a darn?

I have no problem with answers relating to deafness, it's nothing I need be embarassed about, I can't control it, so, providing responses are not abusive, 'fire away'.
I have used speech to text in searchs and it seems rather too sensitive to accents. I doubt freebie stuff could handle stuff off youtube, aside from anything else it looks like many presenters simply talk too fast.

I half expect speech-to-text is the origin of the auto generated subtitles anyway, I can't imagine the subtitles could be so bad if people were actually typing them.
Even my own typing isn't that bad.

You can't believe how this played out
Rather than

Mini lost connection and landed over open water​

.... It's more a case of flyer lands drone (without realising it) and it shuts down as it normally would.

Hi thank you very much for for replying, it is appreciated.
I have absolutely no idea how much work is involved in running a you tube channel.
But, with regards to the subtitles, I think I am clicking on the button/s that display auto generated subtitles.
With your videos neither? are present. The 3 button menu reveals only the report button.
Please see the screen captures.
If I am not clicking on the appropriate thing PLEASE show me what to click on, I really would like to access them.

They are potential subscribers, if they 'suffer' similar 'annoyance' to me I doubt they subscribe.

It does not seem to work even if English subtitles are enabled.. Youtube might have a bug it seems, hope they sort it out soon

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman