DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More Drone Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look around common sense has the IQ of a radish i don't think common sense is all that great!

It's difficult to understand what you're on about. Are you defending the actions of the drone operator? Common sense can't have an IQ - only people have IQs.

FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT READ THE ARTICLE: HERE IT IS BELOW

Wyoming Fire Chief calls on public for ‘common sense’ at emergency scenes

Wyoming Fire Chief Jesse Milligan is sounding an alarm about drone usage at emergency sites after a drone hovered near a crash last week, forcing an ambulance helicopter to delay takeoff.

Milligan and his team were called to assist in the crash that occurred Monday, Nov. 30, when a 29-year-old man from Inver Grove Heights rolled his vehicle just north of the Highway 8 exit on Highway 61. Milligan’s team was charged with the task of finding and setting up a landing zone for a Life Link helicopter, which they did at the parking lot of Maranatha Church. Milligan said everything leading up to the departure of the helicopter had gone well, and the pilot was set to take off.

“All of our guys backed away, and we were waiting for them to take off. One of my firefighters radioed in, ‘We have a drone out here to the west,’” Milligan said.

He looked up to find a light hovering just over Highway 61 right by Maranatha Church. Both Milligan and his sergeant had to radio to the pilot to warn him of the drone and then watched the drone as it traveled further west.

“That thing was right in their flight path,” Milligan said. “It’s tough to judge, because it was dark out, how high up it was, but I’d assume it was above the power lines. And you got a helicopter with carbon-fiber blades that could shatter and hit one of those drones and crash.”

Milligan said he understands people’s natural curiosity but added that most people don’t recognize they’re not legally supposed to see certain things, and it also puts the patient in harm’s way.

“My assumption is that this was strictly a curiosity-driven thing. People see helicopters and go, ‘I have this; let’s go see what we can see,’” Milligan said.

But for the helicopter pilots and emergency response teams, it’s yet another worry in trying to get a patient to safety.

“We try to give these helicopters the clearest and cleanest landing zone as we can. They have enough to worry about, with power lines and streets and trees and wind gusts and things of that nature. They don’t need to worry about having another piece of equipment in the air that shouldn’t be in the air.”

So Milligan put out a plea on the Wyoming Fire Department’s Facebook page asking people to not use drones near emergency scenes.

“People are just going to put them up in the air and see what’s going on, and they don’t understand the consequences of what’s going on,” Milligan said.

He added that drones have been utilized to help in certain emergency situations, and they have done so as an emergency response team, but he emphasized the need to keep them out of the air unless it’s under a coordinated response with a command structure. Otherwise, it can become a detriment, even including accidental circumstances when people lose sight of and crash their drones.

“Not only do I have to worry about cars hitting my firefighters, but now I have to worry about drones falling out of the sky because they lose sight of them, and I know that’s a pretty far-fetched sort of thing, but it is something now that could become a concern, especially on large-scale stuff where people see the freeway is shut down, and go ‘Let’s see what’s going on,’” Milligan said.

The owner and user of the drone was never determined, and even if the Police Department did track down the user, prosecution wouldn’t be likely because the user was likely within legal rights. However, Milligan did say it’s a good opportunity to inform others.

“As long as they’re used in coordinating with instant command, they’re a valuable tool for public safety to use. It’s when people take it upon themselves to utilize them for their own purposes on incident scenes like that where it can become a detriment.”

There will always be those that change the software or hardware, in order to remove any nanny state changes to drones. For example, No Limit Drones is currently modding the actual DJI hardware. Specifically the main board of DJI Mavic 2 series drones. They sell these modded boards, but at a steep price. This board mod allows the DJI user to modify and or remove ALL restrictions regardless of any firmware updates. No Geofencing, No need to have internet connection, No ID, No speed or height limits, maximum transceiver output for exceptional signal reception, etc etc.
Very true, but I think the general public would not go to those lengths, or at least not in huge numbers. I picked up an Autel Evo 2 Duo (Thermal imaging) a while back (have since returned it) and one of my reasons was the lack of geofencing. As a 107 operator I don't like to have to jump through (DJI) hoops to fly at a job (LAANC authorization has never been an issue for me and use it all the time).

Take a look around common sense has the IQ of a radish i don't think common sense is all that great!
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that even meant.

Most of the legal system is based on common sense, or what would a reasonable person do in a given situation.

Not flying a drone where emergency rescue aircraft are operating is common sense. Sadly, it's what we have been dealing with as a community. A few people flying out of ignorance (or not caring) creates legal restrictions for the rest of us.

Your funny next time you stab take off you blindfolded

All anyone can do is most probably agree with my assumptions because you didn't deny or confirm anything. So it's obvious from your meaningless posts that all you want to do here is to be a TROLL.

Let’s keep our responses civil @UAS_Dude and @JMC3 .

Instead of a condescending response a request for clarification of @JMC3 ’s original post might have been more appropriate. Both need to tone it down.

Which is what I did. I don't believe that I was being condescending when I wrote, "It's difficult to understand what you're on about. Are you defending the actions of the drone operator? Common sense can't have an IQ - only people have IQs." But is obvious by now that the guy doesn't want to respond with anything sensible.

"It's difficult to understand what you're on about. Are you defending the actions of the drone operator?
This part is fine.
Common sense can't have an IQ - only people have IQs."
This part is not.
But is obvious by now that the guy doesn't want to respond with anything sensible.
This is the part that is totally uncalled for.

You are in serious need of reading the Community Rules you agreed to when you signed up. Paying particular attention to the ‘be nice’ policy. If you have issues with that I suggest you take it up with our administrators @clackey ir @BigAl07

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that even meant.

Most of the legal system is based on common sense, or what would a reasonable person do in a given situation.

Not flying a drone where emergency rescue aircraft are operating is common sense. Sadly, it's what we have been dealing with as a community. A few people flying out of ignorance (or not caring) creates legal restrictions for the rest of us.
Common sense is all the street smarts one learns by the age of 18. Thinking beyond common sense is what keeps one from making stupid mistakes like flying drones in a fashion that jeopardizes the wellbeing of others. Common sense is like two dimensional thinking or knee jerk reactions. Thinking outside the box is several steps up the food chain from common sense. Thinking beyond common sense are people who join forums and learn some rules or enroll in a part 107 class to get better educated. Common sense says “ if everyone is doing it it must be ok. I should have been more clear in my original comment to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
Ok if i have to spell it out. Common sense is all the street smarts one learns by the age of 18. Thinking beyond common sense is what keeps one from making big mistakes like flying drones in a fashion that jeopardizes the wellbeing of others. Common sense is like two dimensional thinking or knee jerk reactions. Thinking outside the box is several steps up the food chain from common sense. Common sense says “ if everyone is doing it it must be ok. You surmised something without any facts.
That is an interesting and unique definition of common sense. I think if you check the dictionary, you'll find a definition that would be something like "showing sound or prudent judgment with basic or everyday matters".

The phrase "if everyone is doing it it must be ok"[sic], is not an example of common sense. That is an example of the common belief fallacy.

At any rate, people flying their drones around first responders and firefighters make it difficult for the rest of us.

You guys have took an incident and turned into a discussion that
is totally off-topic. That is not the way it works here.

27C47338-4678-4C98-B39B-48E1FCF12AA4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661