DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My iPad mini & controller setup

Loppy

Reactions
Thought I'd throw out a couple things I did that made using an iPad mini actually work pretty well. Only flown 4 batts and still getting used to it but its working well.

1. a regular lightning connector sticks out a mile and hits the palm of your hand. So I found this little gem that's not only 6", about perfect length but also has a right angle lightning that stays MUCH closer to the pad than a regular connector. Makes a huge difference.

Keychain with Stowaway 6-inch Apple MFi Certified Lightning™ to USB Charge & Sync Cable - Monoprice.com

2. just used some foam from the box to make a slotted holder that keeps the sticks from getting knocked over in the case and protects the LCD cover. Its ugly but light and works fine.

That's it. Nothing big, just contributing a little. So far I've had none of the reported issues, lenses are focused and its flying perfect. The ONLY thing pissing me off is inability to lock out GPS and have full manual or ATTI mode. I fly next to a major airport (indoors only) for work and its a pain in the *** with the stupid geofence. working on a carbon fiber antenna blocker next. ugh... Later boys.

Attachments

• mavic cont hack.jpg
    mavic cont hack.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 317
  • mavic cont hack1.jpg
    mavic cont hack1.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 292
  • mavic cont hack2.jpg
    mavic cont hack2.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 325
Reactions: Chris_Toronto
Thanks for the source on the Lightning Cable. Looks perfect. From the link you posted it looked like that the cable was integrated into the keychain plastic doodad, but from your pictures I see it is easily removable.

The foam idea is a nice one as well.

Here's the description from Monoprice's website:

"This plastic keychain features an embedded USB to Lightning cable, which tucks the connectors into the keychain body, while the cable tucks into the edge. When the cable is pulled out and ready for use, you'll find that it can slide and rotate, so you can orient it as needed."

You can keep it attached or remove it like the OP did.

Thought I'd throw out a couple things I did that made using an iPad mini actually work pretty well. Only flown 4 batts and still getting used to it but its working well.

1. a regular lightning connector sticks out a mile and hits the palm of your hand. So I found this little gem that's not only 6", about perfect length but also has a right angle lightning that stays MUCH closer to the pad than a regular connector. Makes a huge difference.

Keychain with Stowaway 6-inch Apple MFi Certified Lightning™ to USB Charge & Sync Cable - Monoprice.com

2. just used some foam from the box to make a slotted holder that keeps the sticks from getting knocked over in the case and protects the LCD cover. Its ugly but light and works fine.

That's it. Nothing big, just contributing a little. So far I've had none of the reported issues, lenses are focused and its flying perfect. The ONLY thing pissing me off is inability to lock out GPS and have full manual or ATTI mode. I fly next to a major airport (indoors only) for work and its a pain in the *** with the stupid geofence. working on a carbon fiber antenna blocker next. ugh... Later boys.
Awesome thanks!

Yeah, exactly guys, sorry I should have clarified that in the post.. I simply pried the plastic deal apart and the cable came right out.

I got lucky, there's a ton to choose from on the 'net and found the perfect cable on the second order. hehe... it works perfect.

Yeah, exactly guys, sorry I should have clarified that in the post.. I simply pried the plastic deal apart and the cable came right out.

I got lucky, there's a ton to choose from on the 'net and found the perfect cable on the second order. hehe... it works perfect.

Thanks for the tip! I got myself a similar item. Kanex Gobuddy+. It's also a bottle opener lol. Just unscrewed the two halves to get the 8.25" cable out. Works perfect.

Attachments

• 20161125_213136.jpg
    20161125_213136.jpg
    1,010.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 20161125_213228.jpg
    20161125_213228.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 122
See Anton's post above. You can get that Kanex cable here on Amazon.

Last edited:
Reactions: edelf
My guess its 1ft and since not shipped by amazon, will be a bit of a wait. I got mine at bestbuy canada they only had blue but 8.25" length is perfect.

Was it right angled at the lightning port? I looked at BestBuy but couldn't find it.

Was it right angled at the lightning port? I looked at BestBuy but couldn't find it.

It's right angled on both. I couldn't find it either even though it was in stock so I just reserved it for a store pickup and they got it for me in 10 min on black friday. Amazon canada is expensive, best buy is much more reasonable if you don't mind the colour.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum