DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

National Parks vs National Forests

HugoStiglitz

Reactions
Search didn't provide any similar discussions. I'm being told by a pilot with a 107 that there is a difference between the 2 regarding launch/recovery/overflight. The areas of my interest are located in Tonto National Forrest. The 107 pilot says that operating in a National Forrest is allowed following normal safe parameters and avoiding wildlife contact. The areas of my interest are accessed by very primitive FRs with no human habitation.

UPDATE TO SHARE

Just found this in a search after a bit of brain fade;

Tonto National Forest - Home.

Search didn't provide any similar discussions. I'm being told by a pilot with a 107 that there is a difference between the 2 regarding launch/recovery/overflight. The areas of my interest are located in Tonto National Forrest. The 107 pilot says that operating in a National Forrest is allowed following normal safe parameters and avoiding wildlife contact. The areas of my interest are accessed by very primitive FRs with no human habitation.

UPDATE TO SHARE

Just found this in a search after a bit of brain fade;

Tonto National Forest - Home.
So here are the limits as I understand them:

National Park and National Monuments are a no go.
Designated Wilderness areas are a no go
State Parks and State Forests are usually fine unless there are signs that prohibit flying.
Cities and city parks and landmarks might have their own rules but not off limits unless posted.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: AZDave
I have had no issues flying in a National forest as long as I avoid wilderness areas and other sensitive areas. The same goes for BLM administered lands. Contrast that with National Parks and Monuments which are a no-fly zones, while some states ban UAV's in state parks. It is best to know before you go.

Cheers!

Reactions: AZDave
So here are the limits as I understand them:

National Park and National Monuments are a no go.
Designated Wilderness areas are a no go
State Parks and State Forests are usually fine unless there are signs that prohibit flying.
Cities and city parks and landmarks might have their own rules but not off limits unless posted.

I hope this helps.
In my research I have found very few states that allow takeoff and landing in state parks. If I remember right New Mexico does not have such laws but every other one I have researched does.

For the record you can’t take off from a wilderness area but you can fly over. In states like Utah and Arizona if you couldn’t fly over wilderness areas you basically couldn’t fly anywhere

Check the B4UFly app for your location. That's a good place to start for the information you need.

Check the B4UFly app for your location. That's a good place to start for the information you need.
I have found in using B4UFLY researching locations, that I can put my takeoff point in the middle of Wilderness Areas and it say clear for takeoff, which I find strange, but also can lead to some unintended consequences for novice operators.

I have found in using B4UFLY researching locations, that I can put my takeoff point in the middle of Wilderness Areas and it say clear for takeoff, which I find strange, but also can lead to some unintended consequences for novice operators.
69F762C7-FF09-46F9-9E48-F4291A9197C3.jpeg

I have flown over a redwood National Forest in California after talking to the park ranger. He suggest a good place to use for takeoff and landing. In Idaho I flew over Lucky Peak which is a National Forest but was careful not to extend my flight over the adjacent wilderness area. It is not allowable to fly over a wilderness area since an overflight could be disruptive to protected birds. There are some places that are National Parks, like Deadhorse Canyon in Utah, where flying is prohibited, but I was told that during the winter there were some windows of opportunity to fly with a permit.

For the record you can’t take off from a wilderness area but you can fly over. In states like Utah and Arizona if you couldn’t fly over wilderness areas you basically couldn’t fly anywhere
That is a good point and also true for National Parks and Monuments as well!

B4UFly only let's you know if it is controlled airspace or if there is a TFR it does not take into account any local regulations......for instance....it tells you that it is OK in New York City there is no question that it is not OK, except in specifically designated areas that are in NYC parks and there are only a few of them and they are only in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island ....

Reactions: Aerophile
Of course B4UFly is just a starting point to get basic information. The pilot needs to get details on the referred items. The pilot is responsible for getting all relevant flight information for the flight area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329