DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NCL Hawaiian Cruise

stvnlambert

Reactions
So to be safer than sorry I asked NCL if I could bring my Mavic on the ship to use during my 7 day cruise.

Their answer was NO, it can not come onboard and they also responded that it may not be able to be used on the islands at all since I am not a commercial pilot.

Googled it and apparently there is a bill on the table that would greatly limit private individuals from flying drones in the state.

I was really looking forward to using my drone in Hawaii

Good site for information but there are a lot of restricted areas around the islands. Thanks for the info

State parks and national parks are off limits but beaches, open ocean, state land not designated as parks are
all ok. There are plenty of places to fly, so many waterfalls, trails, secluded beaches you'll not have enough
time on a cruise to hit but a few.

**** NCL. Have their bartenders and wait staff been trained in rescue operations? Do they have lifeboat drills before leaving harbor? What were their communications regarding safety, upon initial communication with you?

You are allowed to fly your drone in Hawaii. (I live here, Kailua)

Here are the rules:

1. All FAA rules apply (400 ft. max , not near airports)
2. You cannot take off or land on a beach PARK (not all beaches. You can take off and land on beaches that don't have the word park next to their name. Be considerate and don't spray sand everywhere. )
3. You can't fly in city or state parks. This includes places like Hanauma Bay.
4. There are many strong transmitters on mountains. Like FAA beacons. These WILL ruin your signal and force your drone to RTH.

Also note that I've had many encounters with people (mostly on beaches) and one time even had the cops called even though I was totally legally flying it.

Please, if someone asks you to not fly then don't fly it.

Reactions: stvnlambert
So to be safer than sorry I asked NCL if I could bring my Mavic on the ship to use during my 7 day cruise.

Their answer was NO, it can not come onboard and they also responded that it may not be able to be used on the islands at all since I am not a commercial pilot.

Googled it and apparently there is a bill on the table that would greatly limit private individuals from flying drones in the state.

I was really looking forward to using my drone in Hawaii

7d070336850cf2e5b58809149a7aa68b.jpg

Had no problem flying the drone in HI.
e43823527b24b18ac7c1a14687cbdf26.jpg

Reactions: stvnlambert
Please, if someone asks you to not fly then don't fly it.[/QUOTE]
You, Are, A, Complete, Fool.

I fly all over oahu and now the big island. I am carefull in areas of high chopper traffic, airports, and military bases. Its tight on oahu, but on big island.... So many spots with no one and beautiful scenery.

Oh yeah.... Im a 300 lbs Hawaiian. It helps with people approaching in a positive manner. Lol. I am respectful though

Reactions: Texas2Wheeler
The area where the ncl lands is hard to fly on all islands with the exception of Kona. Oahu landing is right in town. Kauai is close to the airport. Maui might work. Hilo might work but also close to airport. Kona works if you can get to the Old Airport (closed) which is right on a beach. If you can get away from the ports the better.

Whete are you right now? Im on the Big Island right now and plan on flying the next 2 days searching for whales and such. Let me know if you want to possibly tag along.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan