DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neat idea for Litchi waypoints

Robert Leigh

Reactions
I like flying Litchi waypoint missions, but I'm always a bit nervous about hitting a tree or something, so I fly very high, which tends to make for boring videos. One way people avoid collisions is to keep a finger hovering over the pause button on the screen, or on the switch that puts you into Sport mode, but the other day I discovered a tutorial on Youtube that looks like a much better solution.

What you do is, you set the crusing speed in the mission settings to zero, and the maximum speed to max. This means that the Mavic will only move forward when you move the stick, and stop when you release it. You can even move the Mavic in reverse around the waypoint route, back towards the beginning. This would be really useful if you came close to a tree trunk and thought the tree canopy might be above you, and you might crash if you triggered RTH: in such a situation, you can just 'back out of trouble'.

I tried this out the other day, and it's great - it's just like driving a train around a track. I do wonder what would happed if you lost signal while doing this, mind you.

Reactions: sonof40
This method may work as long as you have VLOS, but, I think, if you set her up to only move forward when you hit the throttle, loosing signal your bird is going to hover, until it will auto land at low battery, dangerous!

Maybe set up a short course and test by turning off the remote.

Set up your route like this
making sure you make you add enough altitude clearance to fly over things like trees, buildings and power lines etc as plotting a route this way should make sure that you don't run into anything...

Reactions: JetexJim
This is a good tip when flying in tight spaces Robert.

I tried this technique with my waypoint editor of choice (FPV Camera) and
it will not allow the speed setting any lower that 4.5 mph so the app
is erring on the safe side, a loss of signal it would just hover in place
if the speed was set to 0 mph until the battery was gone.

I can still control the speed manually with forward and reverse while in a waypoint mission.

Reactions: MrsTreat
Set up your route like this
making sure you make you add enough altitude clearance to fly over things like trees, buildings and power lines etc as plotting a route this way should make sure that you don't run into anything...

That is a great way to set elevation relative to the ground but a lot of work.

Check out FPV Camera app, each waypoint displays actual ground elevation, your set elevation, and the difference between the two.
Litchi is a great app but after using FPV waypoint app I never went back to Litchi.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760