DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Air 2S seems to be hot

Trumpetturner

Reactions
I made the purchase and have made two flights. Yesterday was a much longer flight using 1 and a half batteries. On both flights I noticed that the belly (underside) of the drone was very hot in my opinion. Not too hot to touch, but what I would consider hot, not just warm. The fan was running. Is it normal for the underside to be hot like that?

I made the purchase and have made two flights. Yesterday was a much longer flight using 1 and a half batteries. On both flights I noticed that the belly (underside) of the drone was very hot in my opinion. Not too hot to touch, but what I would consider hot, not just warm. The fan was running. Is it normal for the underside to be hot like that?
Perfectly normal for it to get warm like that.

My Air 2S gets hot on the underside as well. Since I have had the Air 2S fall from the sky unexpectedly I now delay flights between battery changes for a couple of minutes for the drone to cool. My SPECULATION is that on hot days the batteries get hot and expand thereby causing them to disconnect from the drone and essentially cause a power off. I believe heat is the enemy of the Air 2S design and, therefore, do not fly back to back batteries on hot days here in Florida.

The ribbed metal underside is a heat sink to help disperse heat away from the inside of the drone.
It's quite normal for it to be hot.
My Air 2S gets hot on the underside as well. Since I have had the Air 2S fall from the sky unexpectedly I now delay flights between battery changes for a couple of minutes for the drone to cool. My SPECULATION is that on hot days the batteries get hot and expand thereby causing them to disconnect from the drone and essentially cause a power off. I believe heat is the enemy of the Air 2S design and, therefore, do not fly back to back batteries on hot days here in Florida.

That's completely unnecessary.
The batteries are well designed to remain locked in during flight under normal circumstances and getting hot is normal.
The internal fan and air moved by the props does all the cooling that's needed.

The ribbed metal underside is a heat sink to help disperse heat away from the inside of the drone.
It's quite normal for it to be hot.

That's completely unnecessary.
The batteries are well designed to remain locked in during flight under normal circumstances and getting hot is normal.
The internal fan and air moved by the props does all the cooling that's needed.
I stand by my experience of allowing the Air 2S to cool a bit between battery changes. You even helped me with the analysis where there was no known reason why the Air 2S should have suddenly dropped from the sky. Note that when the battery expands from overheating it does so on the surface where the electrical connections are made. And, just to be clear I don't expect the problem to occur with the first battery swap on a hot day in Florida.

I stand by my experience of allowing the Air 2S to cool a bit between battery changes. You even helped me with the analysis where there was no known reason why the Air 2S should have suddenly dropped from the sky. Note that when the battery expands from overheating it does so on the surface where the electrical connections are made. And, just to be clear I don't expect the problem to occur with the first battery swap on a hot day in Florida.
DJI have made the batteries to handle any thermal expansion that might happen in normal flight.
If they hadn't half their drones would be falling from the sky.
What they might have a problem with is damaged batteries that swell far past normal limits.
You could safely fly 6 batteries back to back without any waiting.

I don't think it is normal for your drone to fall out of the air. My drone does get hot on hot days but not hot enough to fall out of the sky. And not hot enough of the battery to fall out of the drone or disconnect somehow. I always make sure they are snug in there and latched before taking off every time as part of the pre flight check list. I don't think there is a design flaw in the Air2S as I have not noticed any issues in any of my other Mavic drones either. There might be something wrong with your drone in general and it may need to go back to DJI for troubleshooting. Like I said I have flown in 90 degree days many days, flying on 8 batteries in high humidity days. So I don't what is wrong with your drone. Does it run hot? Yes it runs hot, and I monitor the temperature of the battery while I fly it. And it really stays cool enough to stay safe.

I don't think it is normal for your drone to fall out of the air. My drone does get hot on hot days but not hot enough to fall out of the sky. And not hot enough of the battery to fall out of the drone or disconnect somehow. I always make sure they are snug in there and latched before taking off every time as part of the pre flight check list. I don't think there is a design flaw in the Air2S as I have not noticed any issues in any of my other Mavic drones either. There might be something wrong with your drone in general and it may need to go back to DJI for troubleshooting. Like I said I have flown in 90 degree days many days, flying on 8 batteries in high humidity days. So I don't what is wrong with your drone. Does it run hot? Yes it runs hot, and I monitor the temperature of the battery while I fly it. And it really stays cool enough to stay safe.
No need to talk with DJI since they replaced my drone without question. Meta4 did a good job of preparing me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown