DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New App for Mavic

Dragonfly

Reactions
Have been testing the new beta app Drone Harmony by AG on Android for waypoint control and mission planning and its really been good. Straight forward easy to use and well laid out app. Still in Beta and unofficially not released yet this app is real promising in that it offers 3D dimension views of your flight aera and what your camera is looking at and angle of camera before take off. You can add in waypoints, easy adjust hight, position and camera angle with ease. App allows batch waypoint manipulation as well. You can can pause a flight once in progress and alter the flight plan the resume or cancel at anytime. Set the speed and choose between six types of flight plans.
Best part is you can draw on your map all the obstacles and buildings in and around the flight plan and the app will automatically plan the flight around those obstacles. Looking forward to more on this app from this company.
66bed679ea44f55f95491246b0ab8c9f.jpg
25623c5c4e072fa6700d24b0bf43bbeb.jpg
28625a0d530ced21f0564df13d3d5f59.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mel69hash
Looks really interesting

Looks really, really interesting.... The drawing of the objects was suprisingly easy, but knowing how high structures are is purely guesswork. Now if they could use the latest Google Earth with its 3D mapping and great perspective as the basis for the sat maps it would be excellent. To be able to preview the move in perspective is a major advancement. Only problem is it keeps freezing my S2 tablet when I try and make a flight path. Oh well, it is still beta so good luck guys.

Looks really, really interesting.... The drawing of the objects was suprisingly easy, but knowing how high structures are is purely guesswork. Now if they could use the latest Google Earth with its 3D mapping and great perspective as the basis for the sat maps it would be excellent. To be able to preview the move in perspective is a major advancement. Only problem is it keeps freezing my S2 tablet when I try and make a flight path. Oh well, it is still beta so good luck guys.

Hello,

thank you for testing the drone harmony mission planner for DJI drones and for your feedback!

Oglo, regarding elevations I have some information that might help you and will be of interest to you:
  • As an alternative to guessing the flight altitude, fly the drone up to the height you are interested in. You can enable the crosshair in the First Person View if your target is a bit farther out in order to align to the right altitude. Once you have the right altitude, you could either memorize it yourself or you could record a manual flight and take a picture at the right altitude. Transforming the recorded flight afterwards to a flight plan will create you a waypoint with the right altitude at the point where you took a picture.
  • Including google elevation data we also think will add a lot of value to the users and is something we will work on in June and July. Main goals are to include elevation data in our flight plan visualizations as well as using them in some of the flight plans. The ground resolution of elevation data is usually 30m - 50 m for global data, so we have to see what will work in which scenario. Stay tuned!
Finally I'd like to kindly ask you if you could provide us some more information on your S2 tablet freezing (contact at droneharmony.com):
  • At what step does it happen? 2d view? 3d view? when you create/compute a mission?...
  • What is your device exactly? Android version? What drone are you using it with?
We have been working on fixing some rare freezes and will roll out an update probably this friday.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We highly appreciate it!

Hi Drone Harmony,
Great to get a response and your suggestions. I think your app has huge potential and will appeal to a lot of flyers when you have it fully developed. I look at DJI's latest product - Spark - and you can see how they've identified the KISS aspect of flying drones as the way forward (Keep It Simple Stupid).
The direction your app seems be heading is a clean interface but with underlying powerful ability - a good strategy, keep it simple with understandable terminology and simple visual tools please.... Enough of my praises!
Looking forward to you investigating Google Earth/Google elevation data integration into the app - the holy grail I suppose - fingers crossed on this one. I fly inner city and the detail of buildings and their accuracy on Google Earth astounds me. Not so out in the countryside though unfortunately but that's only a matter of time.

Samsung Tab S2 freezing:
FYI : I also use a HTC M8 phone successfully with Drone Harmony, but wanting a bigger screen to build 3D objects and edit/plan I tend to pick up the S2 8.0 (I use Litchi as well and it definitely needs more screen size than a 5" phone). I use DJI Go4 & Litchi successfully with the S2.

Samsung Galaxy S2 8.0 inch screen: SM-T710
Android 5.0.2 (Can't update to later Android) 32GB - lots of free space
Mavic Pro: Latest Firmware 700 (runs a dream)

S2: Build a flight path before connecting and flying Mavic:
1. Load Drone Harmony (Mavic RC not connected)
2. Show Satellite map
3. Build simple 3D objects (about 5)
4. Save project
5. View objects in 3D, move around them
6. Exit back to main screen
7. Hit + (bottom right of screen to make flight path)
8. "Create New Flight Plan" window pops up
9. Select "Manual flight plan"
10. Tablet freezes totally, pop up after 30 secs "Drone Harmony isn't responding. Do you want to close it?" Can't step backwards, go to Home, or minimize to see all apps running.

Alternatively
9. Select "Circle" or other pre planned options
10. "Set Liftoff & Landing" pop up
11. Tap screen where lift off to happen. Marker is placed.
12. Hit "Submit". "Submit popup" goes off.
13 couple of seconds later screen goes all black
14. Quite hard to get control back - have to hit lots of buttons to kill DH.

I'm connected to Wifi while all this is happening. What does "submit" do? - submit it to compute the course on my Device, or send to a web address to have it compute remotely?

Cheers
Oglo

Hello,

thank you for testing the drone harmony mission planner for DJI drones and for your feedback!

Oglo, regarding elevations I have some information that might help you and will be of interest to you:
  • As an alternative to guessing the flight altitude, fly the drone up to the height you are interested in. You can enable the crosshair in the First Person View if your target is a bit farther out in order to align to the right altitude. Once you have the right altitude, you could either memorize it yourself or you could record a manual flight and take a picture at the right altitude. Transforming the recorded flight afterwards to a flight plan will create you a waypoint with the right altitude at the point where you took a picture.
  • Including google elevation data we also think will add a lot of value to the users and is something we will work on in June and July. Main goals are to include elevation data in our flight plan visualizations as well as using them in some of the flight plans. The ground resolution of elevation data is usually 30m - 50 m for global data, so we have to see what will work in which scenario. Stay tuned!
Finally I'd like to kindly ask you if you could provide us some more information on your S2 tablet freezing (contact at droneharmony.com):
  • At what step does it happen? 2d view? 3d view? when you create/compute a mission?...
  • What is your device exactly? Android version? What drone are you using it with?
We have been working on fixing some rare freezes and will roll out an update probably this friday.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We highly appreciate it!

Thanks Drone Harmony,
Any plans for a Mac IOS version?

Hi Drone Harmony,
Looking forward to you investigating Google Earth/Google elevation data integration into the app - the holy grail I suppose - fingers crossed on this one. I fly inner city and the detail of buildings and their accuracy on Google Earth astounds me. Not so out in the countryside though unfortunately but that's only a matter of time.
[...]
I'm connected to Wifi while all this is happening. What does "submit" do? - submit it to compute the course on my Device, or send to a web address to have it compute remotely?

Cheers
Oglo

Oglo, thank you for your excellent bug report. This will help us in addressing the problem! We will keep you posted on this. Regarding your other inputs / questions:

• Having a bigger screen is certainly a plus, we completely understand. All the more reason we fix that freeze bug for you soon!
  • Although Google Earth has in many (Western) cities quite high detailed building data, this data is (currently) not available to the public. Google arrived at that data by running internal complex image algorithms on satellite images.
  • "Submit" generally acts like a "ok, do it" functionality in the app. In your described case it would start the computation of the flight plan on your device (all is computed on your device).
Thanks again for the effort you put into describing the freeze in such detail. We highly appreciate it.

Thanks Drone Harmony,
Any plans for a Mac IOS version?

Hi Bo,

Unfortunately for now it is only Android. We would love to have the manpower to develop for both platforms from the outset, but for now iOS is future plans with no ETA yet.

I hope you will still find a way to try it out! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Hi Bo,

Unfortunately for now it is only Android. We would love to have the manpower to develop for both platforms from the outset, but for now iOS is future plans with no ETA yet.

I hope you will still find a way to try it out! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Bummer...we're all iOS here.

You've fixed it, we'll done. Thumbswayup
So much easier working on a bigger screen.

You've fixed it, we'll done. Thumbswayup
So much easier working on a bigger screen.

This is such good news Oglo!
We will probably push a hot fix update for all other S2 users tomorrow. Thanks again for your testing efforts, we highly appreciate it.

This is such good news Oglo!
We will probably push a hot fix update for all other S2 users tomorrow. Thanks again for your testing efforts, we highly appreciate it.
I'll try your app but wondering if you've done any testing on the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet?
Like other posters I prefer to fly with the tablet as it seems more stable for the GO4 app than the Note 4 I previously used (plus the size issue).. I just recently got a new phone the Samsung Galaxy S8+ but haven't tried it for flying yet.

You can use and try out a lot of the features of the app without being connected to the MP/RC. On your Shield load up the app and make a couple of simple structures based around your house, then go into the "make flight path" (bottom right +) and pick one of the flight path types. I initially had problems at this stage but after trying a new beta version it's fixed & great on my Android tablet (I think this will be released pretty soon). It's logic appears to be really simple which I love. I come from a reasonably technical background and just hate the plethora of drone apps out there that use technical terminology and work flows that the person designing the app is used to but disregards the end user that just wants plain simple easy to understand apps.
I originally had reservations about 'modelling' up an area before flying and thought it would all be too time consuming and boring but have actually enjoyed building up my local sports fields buildings and foliage, all done in the comfort of my home. I did do a quick reccy around the fields to guess some of the major building heights based on my own height. When building the simple 3D objects based on the top satellite view, I had the new Google Earth running as well in another window with its excellent 3D views, and just swapped back and forth between it and Drone Harmony to guess heights and check I'd made enough 3D objects to not have collisions. I initially thought there is no way I can guess all the heights but then just told myself that I don't actually need to get the structure heights absolutely accurate - I'm making protective cages over the structures and trees so just allow more height. Obviously if you are going to use it repeatably for site inspections of particular buildings you would need to get reasonably accurate height info of that building.
Sorry for the long winded response but these guys need encouragement with their approach. I can see they have come at the app from a 'site inspection' approach using single frame photography to record, but I see it's mass attraction just as much in a controlled cinematography use, which is my main interest.
I'm also starting to model up my families farm (rather large area) and the potential for doing fence - gate - stock - waterhole inspections once a day by drone is huge. Most farmers don't want to learn another complicated piece of software - they just want something that's easy to use - turn it on, load it up and go. This maybe the ideal drone app for it - we'll wait and see.....

Reactions: PT_Mavic
I'll try your app but wondering if you've done any testing on the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet?
Like other posters I prefer to fly with the tablet as it seems more stable for the GO4 app than the Note 4 I previously used (plus the size issue).. I just recently got a new phone the Samsung Galaxy S8+ but haven't tried it for flying yet.

Hey Gerald,

So far none of the Nvidia device users have reported any issue. Also from our crash monitoring we could not see any problems with Nvidia devices so far. So as Oglo suggests, we recommend you to just give it a try. Also, switching to Sports mode on the remote controller will give you immediately control of the drone. This only works if the drone is in range of the RC, but we anyway dont recommend flying outside of the RC range for safety reasons.

If you experience any problems with your device, report them so that we can work on a solution. As Oglo pointed out, we managed to fix a problem he had with his Samsung Galaxy device (This hotfix should be released tomorrow).

[...] I'm making protective cages over the structures and trees so just allow more height. [...]

Oglo, we include a safety distance in obstacle avoidance. By default it is set to 2m for staying away from obstacles. You can also increase this value to your desired value in General -> Settings under Obstacle Avoidance.

Reactions: TTFullTimer
Hey Gerald,

So far none of the Nvidia device users have reported any issue.

If you experience any problems with your device, report them so that we can work on a solution. As Oglo pointed out, we managed to fix a problem he had with his Samsung Galaxy device (This hotfix should be released tomorrow).
I watched all the videos I could find but I don't see all the 'buttons' that are in the videos when I tried to set up a mission. Maybe it's too complicated for my 74 year old brain but a more straight forward approach like in LItchi Orbit where all aspects are on one pop-up window. I'll keep trying to figure it out though because I managed to figure out Litchi with no help and use it exclusively for flying and only use Go4 for updates and some settings.

The ability to lower altitude while keeping the camera pointed at the POI interests me greatly if I can figure out the 3D view page and setting obstacle heights. As far as keeping the camera pointed at the POI it seems a guessing game on the percentage to tilt camera. can't you just do it by entering the height of the structure above the ground rather than guessing which becomes a trial and error function.

Reactions: Budmancan
I watched all the videos I could find but I don't see all the 'buttons' that are in the videos when I tried to set up a mission. Maybe it's too complicated for my 74 year old brain but a more straight forward approach like in LItchi Orbit where all aspects are on one pop-up window. I'll keep trying to figure it out though because I managed to figure out Litchi with no help and use it exclusively for flying and only use Go4 for updates and some settings.

The ability to lower altitude while keeping the camera pointed at the POI interests me greatly if I can figure out the 3D view page and setting obstacle heights. As far as keeping the camera pointed at the POI it seems a guessing game on the percentage to tilt camera. can't you just do it by entering the height of the structure above the ground rather than guessing which becomes a trial and error function.

Hello Gerald,

First, hats off to you sir, staying active in such an innovative field at your age is brilliant!

The look and feel of our planner definitely is different from what you might be used from Litchi. We tried to make the user interface as convenient and self-explanatory as possible, but there is room for improvement. We realized from different feedbacks that there is a need for quick access of "standard" flight patterns such as the orbit mode you mention. We plan to step the game up in this area in the following weeks. It will take some time since we have some exiting ideas in this area that we want to include.

Now regarding your question:
When you do a site scan around your building the gimbal angle and yaw angles are computed automatically for you. But you are right in that for orbit mode, although the yaw angles are computed the gimbal angle is not computed automatically. We have not thought of this yet thanks for pointing this out to us (we added it to our todo list).

Happy flying and your feedback is always welcome (here or by e-mail contact at droneharmony dot com)

DH Team

POI is definitely needed in Manual WP's.
I've been playing around with making, and flying, lots of Manual WP's and the part that is a pain is tweaking 'the look at point', especially when it comes to the gimbal.
I'm looking at the cinematic application of the app and how quick I can make shots.

The building inspection flight paths work a treat especially if wanting a series of pics.
One bug I think(?)
- When doing a "site" flight plan, currently many individual flight plans at different heights are being generated i.e. one flight plan rotating around structure at 4m (starts & ends at takeoff point correctly), another flight plan at 5m(start end correct), another at 6m, 7m, and so on. It looks like the individual flight plans are not stitching together to come up with one complete flight plan.
---------------------------
Wish list:
1. Ability to be able to name/create folders where to you save & load plans.
2. Ability to name objects. I made a plan with about 25 objects, and when I want to do a flight plan I can't tell which ones which. I went back and started colour coding structures but I it's still a bit hit and miss.
3. To have Flight plans come up on screen from top to bottom in order of when they are created. Currently they can be in any order, time stamp is good but....
4. When picking objects to do a Top Down flight, can all objects be unchecked initially, and you select the objects you want to be included in the paths. Currently when I go in to make a site plan I have to uncheck each individually(all 25+, most are obstacles, trees, posts), then recheck the ones I want the inspection of.
6. Eventually (and this is a biggy) to just use spline curves and control handles at WP's to edit 'Manual WP's' and 'REC (by flying)' flight paths. :)
7. When copying a structure, need to be able to rotate it's orientation. Currently only translate.
8. In 3D mode while looking at a large scene there is a limit to how far I can zoom in to. On large models like farms I'd like to zoom in closer to check the flight path/camera projection.
9. When doing "manual WP's" I am expecting regardless of what height I enter at the WP's (or set in overall height of flight path) it should compute a flight path avoiding objects/structures that I've built. Currently if I set a low flight path height it stays at that height all the time going straight through the middle of any objects. Maybe an option to "avoid objects" ? No matter what parameters I set in it shouldn't allow me to crash into any objects.

I definitely have ideas of a "farm mode" where it's easy for farmers to construct large spaced out models, then make inspection runs looking at fence lines/gates/stock/water-points. We have rather large farms down-under so need very large plans. Elevations are quite important but I do realize this is in the future when there are accurate publicly available data bases.

Your videos are a great start point. Maybe a simple downloadable PDF step by step workflow as well for each plan/flight may help the first time user. I absolutely love the simpleness of your screens but it did take me a bit of playing around to work out the steps to end up with flights. After getting a handle on your logic it makes sense to me and I love it.
Saving at various stages of 'building/making an initial flight/and then smoothing attempts', and using logical names/numbers has made it easier for me to tweak parameters without starting from scratch each time. I have been planning on my Tablet, exporting(emailing) to my phone and flying from it. Kool!;)
Hope it all makes sense.

I've been playing around with making, and flying, lots of Manual WP's and the part that is a pain is tweaking 'the look at point', especially when it comes to the gimbal.
I'm looking at the cinematic application of the app and how quick I can make shots.

The building inspection flight paths work a treat especially if wanting a series of pics.
One bug I think(?)
- When doing a "site" flight plan, currently many individual flight plans at different heights are being generated i.e. one flight plan rotating around structure at 4m (starts & ends at takeoff point correctly), another flight plan at 5m(start end correct), another at 6m, 7m, and so on. It looks like the individual flight plans are not stitching together to come up with one complete flight plan.
Wish list:
2. Ability to name objects. I made a plan with about 25 objects, and when I want to do a flight plan I can't tell which ones which. I went back and started colour coding structures but I it's still a bit hit and miss.
3. To have Flight plans come up on screen from top to bottom in order of when they are created. Currently they can be in any order, time stamp is good but....
4. When picking objects to do a Top Down flight, can all objects be unchecked initially, and you select the objects you want to be included in the paths. Currently when I go in to make a site plan I have to uncheck each individually(all 25+, most are obstacles, trees, posts), then recheck the ones I want the inspection of.
6. Eventually (and this is a biggy) to just use spline curves and control handles at WP's to edit 'Manual WP's' and 'REC (by flying)' flight paths. :)
7. When copying a structure, need to be able to rotate it's orientation. Currently only translate.
8. In 3D mode while looking at a large scene there is a limit to how far I can zoom in to. On large models like farms I'd like to zoom in closer to check the flight path/camera projection.
9. When doing "manual WP's" I am expecting regardless of what height I enter at the WP's (or set in overall height of flight path) it should compute a flight path avoiding objects/structures that I've built. Currently if I set a low flight path height it stays at that height all the time going straight through the middle of any objects. Maybe an option to "avoid objects" ? No matter what parameters I set in it shouldn't allow me to crash into any objects.

I definitely have ideas of a "farm mode" where it's easy for farmers to construct large spaced out models, then make inspection runs looking at fence lines/gates/stock/water-points. We have rather large farms down-under so need very large plans. Elevations are quite important but I do realize this is in the future when there are accurate publicly available data bases.

Your videos are a great start point. Maybe a simple downloadable PDF step by step workflow as well for each plan/flight may help the first time user. I absolutely love the simpleness of your screens but it did take me a bit of playing around to work out the steps to end up with flights. After getting a handle on your logic it makes sense to me and I love it.
Saving at various stages of 'building/making an initial flight/and then smoothing attempts', and using logical names/numbers has made it easier for me to tweak parameters without starting from scratch each time. I have been planning on my Tablet, exporting(emailing) to my phone and flying from it. Kool!;)
Hope it all makes sense.

Oglo, this feedback is fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to write your ideas down. We like the features you mentioned; some of them are in fact already in our pipeline, and might be included in some of the following updates.

Indeed, the handling to camera angles in general is something we plan to work on intensively in the following months. We intend to have some form of POIs, which will work well well with the general design of the app and the workflow. Expect this to appear in the following months.

Regarding the naming of the areas/plans: you are right! At this stage, once the number of areas/plans becomes large it is a bit hard to keep track of what area is what in the menus and what mission is what in the mission menu. We intend to rework some of these things in the near future as well. In particular, for the missions, we consider on having slightly more hierarchical menu. Regarding rotating the objects - thanks for this feedback. We've noted it and will see how to fit it in.

Folders for the missions is also a good idea that we might add at a later stage. In general, for professional users, having more tools to help organize the plans and flights will become important in the future.

In the selection of areas for Top Down missions we might add a "deselect all" button, or add a "select all" button with all areas initially deselected. We still don't have this, since here as well, we are considering some more elegant solutions, and perhaps more scalable solutions.

The "farm mode" is a great idea as well. At the moment, we focused on creating missions that can be good building blocks for more complex inspection missions like the one you mean for this mode. I think it is a great idea for the future to have a way to easily bundle them together into one "super-mission" containing all the inspections you had in mind for farm mode. Thanks a lot for letting us know that could be useful for you!

Regarding the fact that our Site Scans now produce several plans of different types: Indeed, this is the case at the moment. We had a reason for this: often, when planning a Site Scan you do not really want to fly all (potentially many) plans that are generated (since, maybe, for example you only want to inspect some floors of a building etc). Having the all plans as part of one long mission would not allow you the modularity to choose which ones you want to fly. Of course, one could also argue that it is often the case that you do want to fly them all. Thus, in the future we intend to give the user the option to decide which way he wants it to be: connected, or as many parts that can be flown independently. Another reason you might wat the plans to not be connected is to allow to fly parts in parallel, or on different days etc.

In connection to the previous point, one of our other longer-term plans is to allow easy "cut and concatenate" type of plan editing, which should allow making one long plan out of many shorter ones an easier task.

Finally, regarding obstacle avoidance for manual WP flight, Recorded flights: This is a great idea and we plan on having a version of that in the future. Actually likely something like you mention: a tool that transforms any plan into one that avoids obstacles at any time, not only at the moment of plan generation. There is a reason why we do not apply obstacle avoidance at this stage to manual waypoint missions: The point of our obstacle avoidance is avoid collisions of the drone with the scene objects, while preserving the desired content of every image as much as possible. In other words: We plan around the obstacles, but make sure to do this not just in any way, but rather in a way that the resulting plan still captures as much of the SCANNED STRUCTURES as possible. The problem with manual WP missions is that the app does not have a clear idea of what structure you want to scan and how; hence it is much harder to know what is a "good way" to avoid the obstacles.

Having said that, we do believe that obstacle avoidance is also important for manual waypoint missions, and it is in our pipeline to add this feature one way or another.

Thanks again for the fantastic feedback. Looking forward to more!

DH team

One bug I think(?)
Wish list:

Hope it all makes sense.

Oglo, one more comment about elevations: We think that incorporation of ground elevations is a very important goal for the near future. While a good implementation and incorporation of elevation data is our task, its added value will only be as good as the accuracy of the data. There are some data sources that are publicly available, but they are not accurate everywhere. Nevertheless, we think that for some mission types, even low-medium accuracy data is fine, and can potentially add a lot of value. We're on it.

Also, regarding the documentation: you are right that we currently don't have a complete user manual-- in the future we probably should. In the meanwhile, a good source for more information about the more advanced functionality is our blog. Also the Tutorial flippers (available in App through the Menu) explain the basic workflows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78