DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New at editing.. please help

DEads

Reactions
what could I do to make this picture look even better? I just started editing and I am very green at it. I have purchased the Lightroom/LR Classic/Photoshop bundle from Adobe. Here is the first picture I have messed with. Original and then edit. Any and all feedback is welcomed.

Attachments

• Sunset  St. Albans 08-17-20 original.jpg
    Sunset St. Albans 08-17-20 original.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Sunset  St. Albans 08-17-20.jpg
    Sunset St. Albans 08-17-20.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
First > Shot in RAW.
RAW files are the full size - unedited image taken form the sensor.
With jpeg, the camera applies editing to the RAW image. It will automatically adjust White Balance, Saturation and other edits to improve the color. Jpeg is also compressed to reduce the file size.
Once the jpeg is created, it's ability to be edited is limited.
On my Mavic Air 2, I shoot jpeg + RAW. It produces two files for each shot taken. If I want to do a quick post or send it to someone, I send jpeg. When I edit, I use the RAW file.

Second > Open the RAW file in Lightroom. I think you'll find it more user friendly and easier to learn than Photoshop. I do like Photoshop for certain things.

Third > Just to give you an idea of what I would do when shooting this > On the MA2, I can shoot 48mp, AEB, 5 shots. What this does is quickly take five photos at five different exposures. -2, -1, 0, +1, +2
In Photoshop > Open all five images > Photomerge Exposure or it might say Photomerge to HDR (high dynamic range). Adjust the Highlights and Shadows as you like and merge the five photos into one.
The result is properly exposed sunset and visible landscape.

Fourth > My friends and family love West Virginia. We live in Pittsburgh, PA. The State is beautiful, the people are always friendly and welcoming. The State Park system is a true hidden gem. We've stayed at Black Water Falls and Canaan Valley State Parks. It's like staying is a resort with indoor/outdoor pools, hot tubs, restaurants, golf course, ski resort, hotel, private cabins, and outstanding scenery. We're going there again this fall, for four days.

what could I do to make this picture look even better? I just started editing and I am very green at it. I have purchased the Lightroom/LR Classic/Photoshop bundle from Adobe. Here is the first picture I have messed with. Original and then edit. Any and all feedback is welcomed.
Hi @DEads... the post above mine covers pretty much everything that happens before you take it to LrC.

Point number 3 kinda explains the Lr side of things.

Are you using LrClassic or Lr CC

Hi @DEads... the post above mine covers pretty much everything that happens before you take it to LrC.

Point number 3 kinda explains the Lr side of things.

Are you using LrClassic or Lr CC
It's been a few years since I used Lightroom, I'm sure there are significant changes. I just looked at the LR/Photoshop package from Adobe for $9.99/month. I'm considering it.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
To me the best advice when editing photo’s is not to overdo things.
It is often easy to get carried away changing things with a little tweak on this and that but not knowing when to stop, it is easy to end up with something that doesn't look natural.
Like Electromen says as you have Lightroom get the hang of using RAW files.

First, I agree with @Electromen, you want to shoot in RAW as this will give you the broadest options available when editing the photo in Lightroom. Second, I use AEB on my M2P as well (point 3 above) - it brings out the dynamic range of the photo. I also have the Lightroom/Photoshop bundle. In addition to shooting with my M2P, I shoot classy Pinup ( Login • Instagram ) and pretty much live in Lightroom when it comes to editing. I have found I do about 85% of my editing in Lightroom and 15% in Photoshop. I took your photo and made some changes to it in Lightroom. I also attached the Lightroom settings I used. In addition to those settings I applied the gradient tool and a subtle vignette. If the file had been a RAW image, I could have done more to remove some of the noise without losing image quality. But since it is a JPEG file that does not work as well, so I left it alone (That is a good case for shooting RAW). Photography is very subjective, but I like seeing more of the detail so I lightened it up a bit.

Attachments

• Sunset St. Albans 08-17-20 LR.jpg
    Sunset St. Albans 08-17-20 LR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • LightroomSettings.jpg
    LightroomSettings.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: Kyle76
I downloaded the trial version of Lightroom. I realize now how much I miss it. I'll buy it.
Just to give the OP an idea of one shot vs HDR Merge, here's a comparison. 'it needs a little work on the lens flair, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• DJI_0038.jpg
    DJI_0038.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 22
  • Sunset Irwin Park.jpg
    Sunset Irwin Park.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 22
I downloaded the trial version of Lightroom. I realize now how much I miss it. I'll buy it.
Just to give the OP an idea of one shot vs HDR Merge, here's a comparison. 'it needs a little work on the lens flair, but you get the idea.
LrC is my GO TO for any photo editing.

Glad you still enjoy it. There are tons of new features!

LrC is my GO TO for any photo editing.

Glad you still enjoy it. There are tons of new features!
I don't want to distract for the OP, so just a quick background. I shot weddings for 8 yrs and got burned out. This Drone has excited about photography again.

I am attaching my attempt at re-touching your image. I copied it to my desk top, then opened it with Adobe Photoshop cc 2020. I am more comfortable with Photoshop (having used it for many years than Lightroom). It is difficult to get all of the data from a jpeg file but I was able to use the following sliders;
Exposure, highlights, clarity, shadows, and a few others. I am sending back to you the "before"and "after" (my work). The first image is my re-touch, the second image is your shot. I tried to bring out the shadows in the foreground.

Attachments

• Mavic Forum-retouch.jpg
    Mavic Forum-retouch.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 11.36.27 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 11.36.27 AM.jpg
    797.1 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am sure to continue to bother you guys with feedback while I learn. Good news is I did take jpg and raw footage. I however don't see a way to upload dng files here.

I really like fguthrie's editing effort above because it lightens the picture up enough to show the details of the stadium and bridge in the foreground, but it keeps the middle ground darker, and then you have the beautiful sunset on the horizon. If you lighten the shot too much, you actually expose too much detail and lose the focal points in the foreground. That's my amateur opinion, anyway.

I really like fguthrie's editing effort above because it lightens the picture up enough to show the details of the stadium and bridge in the foreground, but it keeps the middle ground darker, and then you have the beautiful sunset on the horizon. If you lighten the shot too much, you actually expose too much detail and lose the focal points in the foreground. That's my amateur opinion, anyway.
You need to download an Adobe DNG Converter from Adobe. Google the term, Adobe DNG Converter, and download the free converter either for MAC or PC. DNG stands for Adobe's Digital Negative File, which is essentially a RAW converter. Once this is in stalled you can download any DNG file into a RAW file, and from there, a JPG file. www.adobe.com. and search for DNG converter (free).

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am sure to continue to bother you guys with feedback while I learn. Good news is I did take jpg and raw footage. I however don't see a way to upload dng files here.
Upload the .DNG file to imgbb.com

Then use the "BBC code full" option.

Then post that here

I am attaching my attempt at re-touching your image. I copied it to my desk top, then opened it with Adobe Photoshop cc 2020. I am more comfortable with Photoshop (having used it for many years than Lightroom). It is difficult to get all of the data from a jpeg file but I was able to use the following sliders;
Exposure, highlights, clarity, shadows, and a few others. I am sending back to you the "before"and "after" (my work). The first image is my re-touch, the second image is your shot. I tried to bring out the shadows in the foreground.
Excellent tips Dale.

I like your edit too!

Upload the .DNG file to imgbb.com

Then use the "BBC code full" option.

Then post that here
I repeat, once you upload the FREE Adobe DNG converter you will never have a problem. Here is the information again-
You need to download an Adobe DNG Converter from Adobe. Google the term, Adobe DNG Converter, and download the free converter either for MAC or PC. DNG stands for Adobe's Digital Negative File, which is essentially a RAW converter. Once this is in stalled you can download any DNG file into a RAW file, and from there, a JPG file. www.adobe.com. and search for DNG converter (free).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam452