DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New battery break in

RabidPoodle

Reactions
I just got a new Air 2S. Do the batteries need a specific break in routine? I just watched a YouTube that stated new batteries should be connected to the charger one at a time to bring them out of hibernation, instead of using the 3-way bank that came with the Fly More kit. It's a bit late for me since I've already gotten a couple cycles using all three packs and charging them together. The batteries do seem to run out quickly. It's not a linear curve to the battery runtime.

@RabidPoodle it is quite normal for lipos to have a break in period ,when they are first used ,its best not to punish them to much in sports mode, till you have gotten several charges under their belts ,the flight times will improve after several cycles as well and it will also prolong their life span as well

@RabidPoodle it is quite normal for lipos to have a break in period ,when they are first used ,its best not to punish them to much in sports mode, till you have gotten several charges under their belts ,the flight times will improve after several cycles as well and it will also prolong their life span as well
Not doubting you - I haven't tested this myself (I should have when I got an extra battery to compare things) but I can't find anything about the benefits of "breaking in" a LiPo other than anecdotal stuff on RC forums that seem to be pretty pseudo-science (I'm talking about beyond making sure the battery has been brought out of the hibernation mode that I understand DJI batteries have as part of the hardware). Some claim that the manufacturers include some sort of "stabilizer" that needs to be "burned" out, which seems fairly unlikely but at least plausible.

Personally, I haven't noticed this effect, either on my M2P or Air batteries. I have 4 of each. I looked through my Airdata logs and they seem to be operating consistently. My Air batteries are around 100 cycles each (my newer one, bought 8 months later, is around 75) and still seem to be running fine, with no or negligible loss of run time. My M2Ps are all less than 10 cycles so probably not worth comparing yet. But neither can I discern any increase in runtime from when they were zero time (I've compared % at specific flight times, and while it's not always consistent, the mean time is not statistically different, and there's virtually no change from brand new to, say, 10 cycles out).

Just curious if there is any empirical data out there. And this reminds me I need to cycle my Air batteries. I always keep them at 40-60%, but I tell my wife this is required so she understands I need to go fly for an hour every couple of months. I think she knows I'm making up this requirement.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark