DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Bill Introduced Banning DJI In US is Serious - With FCC Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
you're confusing confidence with skepticism
Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying 👍

I quoted the congresswoman who proposed this bill. What she said didn't make any sense. What I perceive as her motivations make more sense, if I'm right, but then I'm familiar with this particular representative and the political shenanigans she tends to engage in
I get it... for me personally, I don't really care about the effluent flowing forth from some congresscritter's mouth per se.

As they say, a stopped clock is right twice a day 😁

Rather, what of the substance of particular legislation?

as far as the military and intelligence communities pushing for these sanctions, again I am somewhat skeptical of the reasons why. Is it from legitimate information they have, from speculative scenarios they have gamed, or from political pressure from other sources?

I remember when they were all saying Iraq had WMD's

Yes, i agree. I share this skepticism if maybe not as strongly.

However, these past failings are not reason for me to dismiss the concerns of the intel community. The fact they're concerned and the US government has taken action is one data point among others (which includes past corrupt behavior).

Despite misbehavior, I vest a fair amount of trust in our intel agencies with a heavy conditional filter looking for political bias or other past reasons to be corrupt. Context is always important.

For example, if it was announced that the FBI had solid intel a nuke was smuggled into NYC and they were beginning evacuation, I'd believe it. Context.

I know I'm not just going to blindly trust the noise that comes out of Washington DC
You shouldn't. I don't either.

I don't think I am here. There's been a lot of public information from the feds about what issues they have with DJI equipment. So it's hardly blind. Also, simply the fact it's the Chinese is another piece in the concern puzzle.

You don't trust an embezzler with your investment portfolio.

Spelling out “DJI and affiliates” is amateurish. They (DJI)can divest/sell the drone company described by that and the new company can continue on with a new name. Congress would then have to write a new law with the new name. The idiots should address the problem they're trying to solve, not ban something by name.

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying 👍

I get it... for me personally, I don't really care about the effluent flowing forth from some congresscritter's mouth per se.

As they say, a stopped clock is right twice a day 😁

Rather, what of the substance of particular legislation?

Yes, i agree. I share this skepticism if maybe not as strongly.

However, these past failings are not reason for me to dismiss the concerns of the intel community. The fact they're concerned and the US government has taken action is one data point among others (which includes past corrupt behavior).

Despite misbehavior, I vest a fair amount of trust in our intel agencies with a heavy conditional filter looking for political bias or other past reasons to be corrupt. Context is always important.

For example, if it was announced that the FBI had solid intel a nuke was smuggled into NYC and they were beginning evacuation, I'd believe it. Context.

You shouldn't. I don't either.

I don't think I am here. There's been a lot of public information from the feds about what issues they have with DJI equipment. So it's hardly blind. Also, simply the fact it's the Chinese is another piece in the concern puzzle.

You don't trust an embezzler with your investment portfolio.
make no mistake...I'm skeptical of China too. They have a track record of spying (as do we). And they certainly have a track record of corporate spying, theft, and patent infringement

I just haven't seen any example of how data from drones is used by China for nefarious purpose. It's also the case that simply saying 'China' in front of very vague assertions of bad intent is enough to some convince people, even without evidence

I'd be curious if there is any evidence of a DJI drone 'dialing home' or the DJI Fly app sending lots of data back to China. I use a Tripltek for my control. It doesn't have a sim card, only WiFi. And the only times the DJI Fly app, and drone, are potentially connected to the internet are during updates. Does the Fly app upload data as well as download updates? Seems like that would be pretty simple to determine

Reactions: Torque
Can't tell with our congress critters. They can't tell the truth and this dji thing isn't clear what the issue is.

They may just be using this issue to cover up the fact that they aren't doing their job. But for some reason they are somewhat vehemently trying to restrict drones as much as possible. Of course they don't trust us to do anything but they are supposed to be answering to us.

If they down all the dji drones, remote id modules won't be selling. Maybe remote id is a way to penalize dji?

I'm about as libertarian as they get, but that presents no conflict with National Security. You seem to disbelieve there is an issue as has been claimed by the fed gov again and again... do you think there is no valid concern?

I'm asking because I want to understand your viewpoint. Nothing agenda driven – just want to understand your thinking to add to my own.

Hypothetical: Suppose you were presented with evidence 100% convincing to you that China, through covert design features was using DJI drones to gather valuable Intel to undermine US economy, military Intel, etc.

What measures, if any, would you support to counter this?

For the record, I don't think there's anything like this in DJI drones. OTOH, I do think the CCCP has access to all the data on DJI servers from all our collective flights, probably imagery that we don't know was sent, etc.

It's already there... of course they're mining it!
As far as one Nation accusing another of gathering data on the other I simply have this to say: when you point a finger there are three pointing back at you. To wit, we do our own share of Intelligence gathering.

"You seem to disbelieve there is an issue as has been claimed by the fed gov again and again... do you think there is no valid concern?"

No, just the opposite. I think that their concerns are valid and justified. Do I think that the FCC should ban DJI products at the consumer level? Absolutely NOT. But they have the power to do so and they also have the power to rescind any previous approvals. If the FCC is persuaded by the D.O.D. that DJI poses a threat to National Security at any level then it's over for DJI in the US. As of now their products are only banned for use by US Government Agencies and it's Contractors.

My overriding concern is that this Bill that was introduced includes the FCC. Why was that necessary since the US Government Agencies and it's Contractors are already not allowed to use DJI products? The only conclusion I can draw it that they want to hit DJI at any and all levels. Just my .02.

On an aside, when we dug up the Chinese Balloon we shot down, did we find Chipsets that were ultimately traced back to DJI? Who knows? We may never know.

As I said elsewhere, based on many years of interaction with both DARPA and D.O.D., when it comes to National Security it will trump any other concerns (as it should).

ALL I KNOW IS I WANT TO FLY MY DRONE!

Reactions: tls3601
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13