DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Dji go 4 app is up for android..

I have not tried it yet. I'm assuming the next release of DJI GO will not be compatible with the Mavic. So, you can keep using the current version of DJI GO until you are forced to upgrade for some reason (e.g. a breaking change is made in the Mavic firmware).
ok thank you, I think ill keep using dji go until I'm forced to switch over.

Thanks again, Msinger. I really appreciate all that you do!

Jerry

I tried out this new app with the Mavic - just quickly, indoors only. It announces itself as version 4.0.0 and while the start screen looks a little different, the actual flying screen looks about the same. I went through the menus, fired up the motors, all seemed ok but of course I have to go out and flight test it. It peacefully co-exists with all my other flying apps - when you insert the USB cable the choice of app now includes Go 4 as well as Go. So no problem there.

I have been having quite a few app crashes using Go with the Mavic in the last few weeks so I am hoping this puts an end to those.

I just installed Go 4 on my Note 4, in parallel to the the Go 3. Aside from a few icon changes, everything looks to be the same. Take note however:

1) Any flight course history you have in the older version will not be on the new one - even after you log in/connect.
2) The map still will not follow the aircraft.

While it may just be my phone, I did want to relay that when flying my phone became so incredibly sluggish, the speed/telemetry data was updating about once every two or three seconds. The map was barely refreshing. At one point, when the MP was going through some severe TBE (that's another story), I tapped on the map - or so I thought. Nothing happened, so I did it again. About 10 seconds later, the map opened full screen, but wouldn't respond when I tried to recenter it over the MP. Instead, the buffered input of me tapping on it a few times kept switching the map and video about once every 5 seconds. I had to force close the app and restart it to get usable video/map data. Again, may just be my phone.

i hope they merge all my flight logs, and i can use all my drone in the new one too

You can drop your flight logs in easily on Android using any file manager tool. For instance if you change devices (or a new version of the app changes locations for the files). It's just files in a directory. Think of your phone/tablet as a computer, not as some kind of magic device you have no control over. I don't know if this works as easily on iOS but on Android it's all really simple - DJI stores their directories and names them in reasonable ways. It does not take any kind of computer expertise to figure out how to do this. As for file managers, I recommend this one but there are tons: File Manager (File transfer) - Android Apps on Google Play

Reactions: erkme73
I'd be amazed if Apple let you do that.
As you say it's easy on Android you can do it connected to a PC.

Good point. It can be easier to manage a bunch of files on a PC. You could even use Healthydrones to hold all your log files and then download them back as needed in a case like this. If you connect to your PC you can just drag and drop. The file manager I recommended also has a FTP server in it so you can do all that wirelessly if you prefer.

So what's the difference between the DJI Go app and the DJI Go 4 app?
One big difference is that you now don't need to be connected to the aircraft in order to access the main screen or the menus. Now I can familiarize myself with all the settings until my Mavic gets here.

I have not tried it yet. I'm assuming the next release of DJI GO will not be compatible with the Mavic. So, you can keep using the current version of DJI GO until you are forced to upgrade for some reason (e.g. a breaking change is made in the Mavic firmware).
according to the source code, it should be compatible with all platforms (or maybe they just haven't cleaned it)
so my guess is they'll just discontinue old DJI GO

Reactions: Mavic_Man504
Has anyone encountered the DJI GO 4 App not connecting with their Mavic Pro on Android?

UPDATE: Problem was that the DJI GO 4 App did not want to play nice with the DJI GO App. I uninstalled the DJI GO App, restarted my phone, started up the DJI GO 4 App and all was well.
Well if you had to delete the regular DJI GO APP to get DJI GO 4 with the Mavic to connect..

What the heck are you supposed to use on an Inspire 1--Phantom 3 etc????

Jack

I just tested the new app... It's dark out and I tried it for about 10 minutes, but it is substantially similar (identical?) to the prior app. The initial interface looks different, but once you are into the flight mode portion, it seems to be identical. I really don't understand why they created a whole new app instead of just updating the prior app. Anyway, I didn't encounter any issues (yet?) during my brief flight. One thing I noticed though was that the FREAKIN MAP STILL DOESN'T FOLLOW!!! Seriously DJI? You come out with a whole new app but can't even fix the stupid map so it follows the aircraft? This doesn't seem to be too hard of a problem to fix... it's especially annoying when you are flying somewhere you are not familiar with.

I have DJI Go 3.0.1 and DJI Go 4 installed on my Samsung Galaxy S7. DJI Go 4 connects immediately to the Mavic with no problems, but I'm keeping my DJI Go 3.0.1 in case DJI Go 4 still has the map issue of not following the aircraft. Sounds like I will still be using DJI Go 3.0.1 since the map on DJI Go 4 still isn't fixed...

You can drop your flight logs in easily on Android using any file manager tool. For instance if you change devices (or a new version of the app changes locations for the files). It's just files in a directory. Think of your phone/tablet as a computer, not as some kind of magic device you have no control over. I don't know if this works as easily on iOS but on Android it's all really simple - DJI stores their directories and names them in reasonable ways. It does not take any kind of computer expertise to figure out how to do this. As for file managers, I recommend this one but there are tons: File Manager (File transfer) - Android Apps on Google Play

That makes perfect sense, and I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't think of that myself. I can confirm that moving all the files from the flight record folder to the new app flight record folder works. All my previous flights have populated in the new app.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird