DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New GPS won't sync after crash and replacement

SzybkiSasza

Reactions
Hi all!
I've just joined the forum, with perspective of using newer Mavics in the future, but right now - I'm reanimating my Mavic Pro after crash and encountered famous GPS problem, with brand new device, though!

Problem? GPS won't start (GPS encounters data exception)

Was unit in a crash? Yes, was rebuilt using brand new parts

What have you tried so far? Replaced GPS module (old one had cables ripped apart) with brand new DJI, reset controller and drone firmware, calibrated both compass and IMU (without any problems, calibration was successful)

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? iPhone, checked Assistant as well

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? 1.04.0100 both, I did not update Precise Fly Database or Basic Fly Database recently (01.00.01.10 and 01.00.01.08 respectively)

What Go app version are you using? 4.3.3

Any modification?
(if so what) Replaced parts (two arms and gimbal, all working flawlessly) and aforementioned GPS

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) N/A

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) Added all the pictures - new module in place and old and new module side-by-side (new module has whole faceplate, without dent).

Attachments

• IMG_3464.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3465.jpg
    IMG_3465.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 26
Check the white connector that the GPS plugs in to. If you havent replaced the ESC board, that connector could have come loose.
Checked, seems that it's rather stable. All the pins are in place.

As for the motherboard, before I began repairing the drone by myself (as official rate was absurd), I asked professional technician for examination. He informed me that the motherboard is OK. All the parts that I replaced were due to his suggestions.

Is it possible that it's some kind of version incompatibility or the GPS has to be somehow initialized?

Is it possible that it's some kind of version incompatibility or the GPS has to be somehow initialized?

Nope.

Who did you buy the new GPS from?

Also, please look at your sensor readings in DJI Go and see if both of your compasses are registering. Make sure neither one of them shows as "Disconnected."

Reactions: radman
Yes, all the compass sensors after recalibration return proper data. The same goes for IMU. It doesn't try to obtain any GPS data, though. There's no complaints about anything else apart from the GPS. I checked all the sensors data, both in the mobile app and in the Assistant - they seem consistent.

This is how it looks like (don't bother with interference, it's close to a lot of cables and metal on my desk now, it behaves properly once outside):

Screenshot 2018-10-09 at 18.48.48.pngIMG_3468.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_3468.PNG
    IMG_3468.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 22
Hate to say it but it might possibly be your FC ESC board. Encoding error is sometimes the board.

Can you return the GPS unit? The board doesnt cost much more than the GPS unit.

So... I somehow resoldered my old GPS cables, by removing white glue and resoldering each contact and... It works! Seems it's the GPS itself. I'm contacting vendor right now - maybe I'll be able to replace it. For now, I'll just use my original one, after proper resoldering and securing the contacts (I don't feel 100% safe about it though, so I'll still try to find a replacement).

Reactions: Former Member

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman